Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Epta Astera - Feste Burg

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3496
Registration date : 2013-07-17

Epta Astera - Feste Burg Empty
PostSubject: Epta Astera - Feste Burg   Epta Astera - Feste Burg I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2019 1:27 pm

While most members here aren't fans of the more "extreme" subgenres of metal, the rest might be interested in reading my review for Epta Astera's upcoming album Feste Burg.  Check it out!  I highly recommend this album; it's got major best of 2019 potential for me...

For those unfamiliar, Epta Astera is a one‑man project of C Harwick, seamlessly combining elements of black metal, Gregorian chant, doom metal, and post‑rock – among others – to create some rather unique and breathtaking music.  (As a note, Epta Astera has been combining black metal and ancient church‑styled chanting long before Batushka ever existed and popularized this style.)  Epta Astera has released two full‑length albums and one EP prior to Feste Burg, though this new album is the first to get a proper physical release (via Mourning Light Records).  Stylistically, these new eight songs continue in the trajectory of the previous works but it’s clear that Hardwick has been rigorously honing and expanding his skills for the past six years since Epta Astera’s previous release.  It also incorporates more doom elements than prior releases and is more cohesive/expansive than pre‑existing fans may be used to.

Feste Burg begins with Salva Regina: incorporating atmospheric instrumentation, Gregorian chanting vocals, and tasteful usage of the didgeridoo – which have all helped set Epta Astera apart from other acts.  This first track sets the tone for the rest of the album appropriately: dark, mysterious, foreboding, epic.  It also signals upfront that this album will be a journey and requests the listener’s full attention throughout its entirety.  The second track Noche Oscura is slow to build but offers a good indication of the overall feel and style of what’s to follow in the subsequent tracks.  It ebbs and flows from somber clean chanting vocals to crushing black/doom metal, then allows the listener to breathe some during a delicate section of primarily clean guitar before it closes with a crescendo of black metal intensity.  Noche Oscura then gives way to the third track Metonia which softly begins with the xylophone – another trademark of Epta Astera – and more clean vocals before it shifts to a plodding and somewhat triumphant pace, complete with some emotive lead guitar work.  Epic keys and distorted guitars make for an intense mid‑section before it softens back down with more refrained vocals, clean guitars, and minimal xylophone.  The album’s fourth track Aletheia begins with some elements reminiscent of more traditional black metal with its tremelo picking lead and distorted rhythm guitars but once the alternating and overlapping black metal shrieks/Gregorian chanting emerge, the listener is reminded that there is little here that could be considered “traditional” – especially as the song breaks way to whispered vocals, prominent drums, and an almost-groovy bassline with upbeat/hopeful keys and clean guitars.  Then the didgeridoo and black metal vocals return for a tense climax before the song ends on a softer note once more.  Acoustic guitars and a soaring lead guitar drive the first half of Feste Burg’s next song Exsurge Domine, continuing with the almost‑hopeful feel of the previous song… until the track gets about to its halfway point where it shifts to chanted vocals, heavier guitars, and a driving beat that brings back the gravity and pressing weightiness that permeates throughout the album.  But before the album fully commits to its darker and heavier elements, the sixth track Ich Kann Nicht Anders serves as a sort of interlude of layered Gregorian chants which take the listener briefly out of harm’s way as if they were transported into an isolated monastery high in the mountains.  Then as the penultimate song Die Mordischen und Reubischen Rotten der Bawren begins, the Gregorian chants turn to pained wailing, the drums and guitars pick up speed to make this one of the most intense and sorrowful sounding portions of the album.  It then transitions to a driving, more mid‑pace instrumental section and fades out before the closing track Augsburg begins.  Feste Burg’s final song starts off mid-paced with chanted vocals then shifts to a quieter section with acoustic guitars and keys which slowly builds before the song drastically changes to furious black metal mixed with more Gregorian chants and mournful wails, making for a climatic closing of the album.

The above song‑by‑song rundown only scratches the surface of all that is going on in each track; this is an album from which subtle melodies and nuances will boil to the surface through repeated and careful listens.  And for an album as musically eclectic and diverse as Feste Burg, it somehow never loses its cohesiveness which is quite a feat in itself.  This cohesiveness is aided by the fact that lyrically, the album’s eight songs are tied together to recount the famous happening 502 years ago of Martin Luther nailing his 95 theses onto one of the offending churches’ doors, igniting the Protestant Reformation – quite possibly the most significant event in the Christian church’s history since Christ’s resurrection.  The music’s combination of intensity, depth, broadness in scope, and heaviness makes for a fitting platform to tell a story such as Martin Luther’s.  It’s a rich and captivating album that will be especially rewarding to historically‑mindful listeners willing to give it their fullest attention.

Feste Burg is due to be released October 31st (Reformation Day) and can be pre-ordered here:
https://eptaastera.bandcamp.com/

You can follow them on FB, along with Mourning Light Records.
https://www.facebook.com/eptaastera/
https://www.facebook.com/MourningLightRecords/
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Epta Astera - Feste Burg   Epta Astera - Feste Burg I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2019 2:32 pm

Nice review. You should see about adding this on Firestream Vault.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: Epta Astera - Feste Burg   Epta Astera - Feste Burg I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2019 3:11 pm

Thanks!  I will.  Also, I discovered Epta Astera on your radio show so I have you to thank!
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: Epta Astera - Feste Burg   Epta Astera - Feste Burg I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2019 4:02 pm

http://firestreamvault.com/album.php?id=15257

Done.   Cool
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23399
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Epta Astera - Feste Burg   Epta Astera - Feste Burg I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2019 4:48 pm

Wow, sounds very eclectic musically.

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: Epta Astera - Feste Burg   Epta Astera - Feste Burg I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2019 4:53 pm

They are, though it really works IMO.  You can listen to their previous EP here for a taste of their style:

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23399
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Epta Astera - Feste Burg   Epta Astera - Feste Burg I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2019 6:16 pm

Listening now.  Probably a little darker, and more atmospheric than most of the stuff I enjoy, but it does work well musically.  They do a good job of incorporating those styles.  I wouldn't have thought the "black metal" sounding guitars would fit at all....but they do.

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: Epta Astera - Feste Burg   Epta Astera - Feste Burg I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2019 6:37 pm

Yes they're pretty unique!  This kinda stuff is right up my alley.  They're also the only overtly Reformed Christian band I'm aware of so that earns extra points from me haha.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

PostSubject: Re: Epta Astera - Feste Burg   Epta Astera - Feste Burg I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2019 2:44 pm

Some other songs use instruments like the glockenspiel  Cool
Back to top Go down
ChristTrekker

ChristTrekker

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2017-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Epta Astera - Feste Burg   Epta Astera - Feste Burg I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2019 3:18 pm

kerrick wrote:
Yes they're pretty unique!  This kinda stuff is right up my alley.  They're also the only overtly Reformed Christian band I'm aware of so that earns extra points from me haha.
There are quite a few Reformed rappers, if you count that.

I remember the last release. I enjoyed it, if only for being so unique compared to other stuff I listen to.
Back to top Go down
Normaniac

Normaniac

Number of posts : 1446
Registration date : 2018-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Epta Astera - Feste Burg   Epta Astera - Feste Burg I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2019 5:44 am

Jamming to it now--this pwns!
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

PostSubject: Re: Epta Astera - Feste Burg   Epta Astera - Feste Burg I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2019 9:42 am

Normaniac wrote:

I haven't heard that phrase in a while  cheers
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: Epta Astera - Feste Burg   Epta Astera - Feste Burg I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2019 10:14 am

ChristTrekker wrote:
kerrick wrote:
There are quite a few Reformed rappers, if you count that.

I remember the last release. I enjoyed it, if only for being so unique compared to other stuff I listen to.

I'm not a fan of rap, but that's pretty cool!  I didn't know that.

Normaniac wrote:

Aww yeah!  Enjoy!  You're listening to the Semper Reformanda EP I assume?  If you dig it, you'll really like Feste Burg...  IMO Epta Astera just gets better with each release.
Back to top Go down
Normaniac

Normaniac

PostSubject: Re: Epta Astera - Feste Burg   Epta Astera - Feste Burg I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2019 1:28 pm

I haven't heard Feste Burg yet, just SR.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: Epta Astera - Feste Burg   Epta Astera - Feste Burg I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 30, 2019 2:15 pm

^Right on.  I really like that EP but their previous full-length is quite good too.  It's more consistently black metal oriented but still very much Epta Astera.  I don't believe the main guy is as proud of EA's first album so it's not available on Bandcamp like the others are, but IMO it's very enjoyable!  You can listen to it in its entirety on youtube:
Back to top Go down
ChristTrekker

ChristTrekker

Number of posts : 291
Registration date : 2017-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Epta Astera - Feste Burg   Epta Astera - Feste Burg I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 02, 2019 2:34 pm

kerrick wrote:
I'm not a fan of rap, but that's pretty cool!  I didn't know that.

Check into S.O., shai linne, Stephen the Levite, Timothy Brindle, Trip Lee, Tedashii, iSix:5, Hazakim, etc. If I had to guess, I'd say a majority of the better known Christian rappers hold to a reformed soteriology. (Going from memory, so one or two of these might not be.) I wouldn't say I'm a big fan of rap, per se, but there are a few tracks that hit my "favorites" playlist nonetheless, and some of them are just dense with biblical teaching. (More in a 4 minute track than some sermons I've sat through.) Many of them are with Lamp Mode records (Lamp Mode @ Bandcamp). I've DL'd a decent number of free tracks over the past 10 years. Some of them might still be available.

Here's a post about the "movement" by a pastor I know.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: Epta Astera - Feste Burg   Epta Astera - Feste Burg I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 31, 2019 5:34 pm

^Right on!

As a reminder to anyone who hasn't bought it yet, this album was released today!
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

PostSubject: Re: Epta Astera - Feste Burg   Epta Astera - Feste Burg I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2019 12:28 pm

I just hope this arrives before I have my mail going to Texas.
Back to top Go down
Normaniac

Normaniac

PostSubject: Re: Epta Astera - Feste Burg   Epta Astera - Feste Burg I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2019 4:17 pm

I jammed to the whole thing today.  Whoa Nelly!
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: Epta Astera - Feste Burg   Epta Astera - Feste Burg I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 01, 2019 4:48 pm

^As did I!  Yup it's pretty dang good.  There are still a few more upcoming albums I'm anticipating before the year's up (Sawol, Signum Regis, Warpriest...), but as of now I think this has secured my album-of-the-year slot.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Epta Astera - Feste Burg   Epta Astera - Feste Burg I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Epta Astera - Feste Burg
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: