For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Just got assaulted by an autistic kid

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dynamis

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1575
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Just got assaulted by an autistic kid Empty
PostSubject: Just got assaulted by an autistic kid   Just got assaulted by an autistic kid I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2019 8:02 pm

Within the past half hour I was at a local sub shop ordering dinner and standing in line next to an autistic kid, whom I am willing to guess is in his late teens.  For whatever reason he was unhappy with his order and started to throw a fit.  He let out a loud ear piercing yell and then suddenly turned in my direction and delivered a quite hard slapping and clubbing blow to my side (right on the ribs).  I took several steps to the left in order to get out of the way, but he kept coming at me with both hands up with the intent of throwing additional punches.  I reacted in the only way I could and reached up and grabbed each of his wrists with both hands to prevent further blows from being delivered.  Fortunately, at that point the kids caretaker stepped in and pulled him away, removing him from the store.  

Good news is that I am fine in that the punch did no damage- it just stung a bit and then faded away.  Decided not to get the police involved - do not think arresting an autistic good would do any good - but am thinking of filing a complaint with the store.

Any suggestions or ideas on how to handle this?  It happened so suddenly and quickly there was really no time to react, otherwise am fine and out of pain but still a bit shaken up.  confused
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 4340
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Just got assaulted by an autistic kid   Just got assaulted by an autistic kid I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2019 8:33 pm

Glad to hear he didn't hurt you.  I can understand being shaken up a bit but I wouldn't even bother filing a complaint with the store.  It's not their fault.  Just my opinion.  You do what you feel is necessary.

Unfortunately, with Autism, you never know what may trigger an episode or when they'll all of a sudden feel overwhelmed and lash out.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 20372
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Just got assaulted by an autistic kid   Just got assaulted by an autistic kid I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2019 9:06 pm

Oh man that stinks.  I'm glad there was no lasting pain, but still that must have been a little scary.  Kudos to you for not hitting him back.  I don't think I would bother to file any kind of report myself, but it's totally up to you.

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: Just got assaulted by an autistic kid   Just got assaulted by an autistic kid I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2019 9:14 pm

I agree with both of you in that it is not worth the trouble to file a report- besides, to make up for it the girl who took my order put an extra chocolate chip cookie in the bag! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Just got assaulted by an autistic kid   Just got assaulted by an autistic kid I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 07, 2019 10:37 pm

COOKIE!  All is right in my world again.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 20595
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Just got assaulted by an autistic kid   Just got assaulted by an autistic kid I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2019 11:09 am

The only thing I would have done differently would have been to get with the store manager and ask for a copy of any footage of the event they may have.  Then, if that caretaker should try to make trouble for you and say that you started it or laid a hand on the kid, you would have proof that you were merely attempting to get out of harm's way without actually defending yourself.

With that said, the caretaker is probably more embarrassed that this happened during their shift and won't say a thing.  When things like this happen, though, it would be good to remember to get the video just in case the parents or caretaker want to take a shot at you in court.  It is doubtful, but I would protect myself just in case.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Black Rider

Black Rider

Number of posts : 712
Registration date : 2011-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Just got assaulted by an autistic kid   Just got assaulted by an autistic kid I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2019 12:04 pm

What alldat said and it's too late now but I would've found out who the caretaker's employer is and reported it. They're supposed to be trained to avoid these kinds of situations.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Just got assaulted by an autistic kid   Just got assaulted by an autistic kid I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2019 12:51 pm

Black Rider wrote:
What alldat said and it's too late now but I would've found out who the caretaker's employer is and reported it. They're supposed to be trained to avoid these kinds of situations.

While they are trained to avoid these things, you are talking about autism.  NOTHING will 100% prevent these outbursts.  No two kids will be textbook examples of autism.  Even if the caretaker did everything on their checklist to prevent this from happening, outbursts can come from any little thing.  With having several autistic kids in my class, even with what worked yesterday may not work today.  If this kid was known for violent outbursts, there may not have been anything they could have done except tell you to get out of his way when he did blow his top.

That still does not negate what you said about reporting this to the company that the caretaker worked for.  That should still be done if at all possible.  Of course, the caretaker could be a family friend and hired by the family.  That makes things a lot more difficult to track down.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
Dynamis

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: Just got assaulted by an autistic kid   Just got assaulted by an autistic kid I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2019 2:45 pm

Quote :
The only thing I would have done differently would have been to get with the store manager and ask for a copy of any footage of the event they may have.  Then, if that caretaker should try to make trouble for you and say that you started it or laid a hand on the kid, you would have proof that you were merely attempting to get out of harm's way without actually defending yourself.

With that said, the caretaker is probably more embarrassed that this happened during their shift and won't say a thing.  When things like this happen, though, it would be good to remember to get the video just in case the parents or caretaker want to take a shot at you in court.  It is doubtful, but I would protect myself just in case.

This is sound advise and plan to reach out to the sub shops management.   Proof is in the pudding and the footage will accurately show what happened.  Again, in terms of specifics, the kid delivered a clubbing blow (with his left arm) to my right side and then started to come at me with his first raised up as if to strike further blows.  I simply grabbed his wrists to prevent those blows from being delivered.  I did not strike the kid.

Right now the entire transaction is completely confidential, with the exception of the footage.  I paid with cash and not credit card, while I did not exchange contact information with the caretaker, so I do not know who I am dealing with or in what capacity.

Technically, the fact I was assaulted (despite not being injured) I could probably take the matter to court but would prefer to just let it go and move on (I am not what you would call 'sue-happy').  Still, obtaining the footage makes sense to protect my interests.  It might be also a good idea to seek some legal advise all the same.

On a side note, this year has been quite the wild ride with having gone through two car accidents (neither my fault) and then being assaulted.  Whats next- abducted by aliens?   Suspect

Last edited by Dynamis on Sat Jun 08, 2019 2:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dynamis

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: Just got assaulted by an autistic kid   Just got assaulted by an autistic kid I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2019 2:51 pm

Quote :
While they are trained to avoid these things, you are talking about autism.  NOTHING will 100% prevent these outbursts.  No two kids will be textbook examples of autism.  Even if the caretaker did everything on their checklist to prevent this from happening, outbursts can come from any little thing.  With having several autistic kids in my class, even with what worked yesterday may not work today.  If this kid was known for violent outbursts, there may not have been anything they could have done except tell you to get out of his way when he did blow his top.

That still does not negate what you said about reporting this to the company that the caretaker worked for.  That should still be done if at all possible.  Of course, the caretaker could be a family friend and hired by the family.  That makes things a lot more difficult to track down.

Initially, I was thinking along these lines but it also might not be a good idea in the first place to bring an autistic kid with a penchant for violent outbursts into a public setting such as a restaurant.  What is troublesome, is that the caretaker let the autistic kid out of his watch- he allowed the kid to approach the front counter (in front of the sandwich make line) and hung back near the side of the store (several feet away) while the incident happened.  I understand that no two kids are alike and what worked yesterday might not work today, but if a kid is known for violent outbursts, the caretaker should have been right by his side the entire time- and take control of the situation if the kid does begin to show symptoms of losing control.

Still, I am more than willing to let the matter go and move on...
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 20372
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Just got assaulted by an autistic kid   Just got assaulted by an autistic kid I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2019 2:56 pm

Dynamis wrote:
On a side note, this year has been quite the wild ride with having gone through two car accidents (neither my fault) and then being assaulted.  Whats next- abducted by aliens?   Suspect

Holy cow I hope not!  affraid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Just got assaulted by an autistic kid   Just got assaulted by an autistic kid I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2019 3:50 pm

Dynamis wrote:
Whats next- abducted by aliens?   Suspect

I got abducted by aliens once.  They won't make that mistake again.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9403
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Just got assaulted by an autistic kid   Just got assaulted by an autistic kid I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2019 12:09 am

Long as the aliens aren't autistic, should be fine
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Just got assaulted by an autistic kid   Just got assaulted by an autistic kid I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2019 6:28 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:

I am more concerned with those anal probes they like to do!   lol!

Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 3864
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Just got assaulted by an autistic kid   Just got assaulted by an autistic kid I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2019 9:03 am

alldatndensum wrote:
Guilty/Forgiven wrote:

I am more concerned with those anal probes they like to do!   lol!

Fortunately, they've advanced past that.  They simply do a hair sample.  Now what they do with the honey and the Little Bo Peep outfit is something else all together.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just got assaulted by an autistic kid   Just got assaulted by an autistic kid I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just got assaulted by an autistic kid
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: Warped Drive - General Discussion-
Jump to: