For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Done with "Pledge Music"

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 19926
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Done with "Pledge Music" Empty
PostSubject: Done with "Pledge Music"   Done with "Pledge Music" I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2019 7:28 pm

Well it finally happened.  A major crowd-funding entity has let down it customers (the musicians)....and now a lot of people are left wondering if they will get their product...or at least their money back.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8497348/pledgemusic-music-crowdfunding-industry-artist-campaigns-regulation

Sadly I currently have three "campaigns" with them right now (one is almost a year old).  Apparently contributors are supposed to see CDs for that one (eventually).  But I just heard from one of the campaigns that they have cancelled their agreement with Pledge Music, and that if we want our CDs or LPs from them we will need to order them again from the artist's web-store (when they finally get it set up).  But no refund yet from Pledge music.  The third campaign I have no idea what is going on (or if I will even see my cd).

So I am done with Pledge Music, and probably completely done with crowd-funding altogether (even Kickstarter).  I will probably continue to do pre-orders with distros I trust (like Roxx Records), but in general I'm done shelling out money for a product unless it's ready to ship.

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 20060
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Done with "Pledge Music"   Done with "Pledge Music" I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 13, 2019 8:44 pm

I still prefer the pledge drive where you get rewards over what Red and The Brave are doing for their new projects.  They expect people to just donate money with no guarantees.  Are artists so entitled that they expect people to just hand them the cash over?  Why don't they want to at least give you a CD or something?  To give a band money just because you liked their work in the past isn't enough of a reason just to give them money now.  Why can't the bands bite the bullet and record out of their own pocket like lesser known bands have to?  Those lesser knowns often rival bigger bands in sound and do it on a shoestring if need be.

I have a couple of pledge drives I am doing right now, but I am going to slow that WAY down in the future.  I have had several bad experiences from the two years to deliver like Guardian or the extra 3 months wait from The Letter Black where pledgers didn't get their stuff until the CD was in the stores for some time.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 2180
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Done with "Pledge Music"   Done with "Pledge Music" I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2019 7:46 am

I think Bloodgood did it right with everything they offered. But even then I waited until the CD came out then ordered it .
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 15382
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Done with "Pledge Music"   Done with "Pledge Music" I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2019 8:00 am

[quote] I waited until the CD came out then ordered it .[/quote

That how I do it too.
Back to top Go down
Normaniac

Normaniac

Number of posts : 199
Registration date : 2018-04-12

PostSubject: Re: Done with "Pledge Music"   Done with "Pledge Music" I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2019 9:04 am

I've never had any trouble crowdfunding Daniel Amos, The Choir, the 77s, and a great many other bands that are established acts.  Except for Tourniquet and Gazing at Medusa, everything has pretty much been delivered on time.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 3695
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Done with "Pledge Music"   Done with "Pledge Music" I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2019 9:41 am

Looks like the only thing I have waiting for on Pledge Music is the Lance King album.  I'll still do Kickstarter and IndieGoGo.
Back to top Go down
Black Rider

Black Rider

Number of posts : 407
Registration date : 2011-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Done with "Pledge Music"   Done with "Pledge Music" I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2019 11:42 am

I never do the pledge thing 'cause I don't want to give my cash then not like the product or have it not even come out.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Done with "Pledge Music"   Done with "Pledge Music" I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2019 11:59 am

MikeInFla wrote:
I think Bloodgood did it right with everything they offered. But even then I waited until the CD came out then ordered it .

rockerVu2 wrote:
Quote :
I waited until the CD came out then ordered it .[/quote

That how I do it too.

I was doing the same thing too, but a UK band I really like put out an EP a few years ago and sold out (I'm pretty sure on their pledge campaign).  I was forced to purchase a download because I couldn't even find a cd for sale....they were gone.  So that's pretty much the only reason I did their most recent campaign.

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Done with "Pledge Music"   Done with "Pledge Music" I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2019 12:05 pm

I fully expect "Pledge Music" to file for bankruptcy.  If you have money in a "PledgeMusic" campaign you might never see your product or your money back.
I almost went with pledge for the new Queensryche album, but they wanted like $30 for a cd (no signature or anything) and I thought that was just too steep.  They recently posted notice that PledgeMusic isn't paying them either.  It's unlikely anyone will get their product for that campaign and they might not even get their money back.
This has totally soured me on any of these types of pledge campaigns.  I really don't want to order the cds again from some other online source when I haven't even been paid back the $18 tp $30 I shelled out in the first place for the same thing (or something that was also supposed to include a t-shirt).  I'm just glad I didn't have a few hundred dollars (or more) tied up in any of these campaigns (like lots of people do).

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 2180
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Done with "Pledge Music"   Done with "Pledge Music" I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2019 1:46 pm

This reminds me of someone I forgot all about. What ever happened to David Benson? Didn't he used to to this campaigns then never send anything out?
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 2812
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Done with "Pledge Music"   Done with "Pledge Music" I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2019 3:05 pm

I don't think it was so much campaigns as just regular orders people would make to him.  Though from the number of complaints I heard... I wouldn't be surprised if he used those campaigns too.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 4093
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Done with "Pledge Music"   Done with "Pledge Music" I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2019 3:51 pm

I've only used Kickstarter and haven't had any issues.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

PostSubject: Re: Done with "Pledge Music"   Done with "Pledge Music" I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2019 4:48 pm

Yes, David Benson did use Kickstarter a couple of times (didn't make the goal the first time and made a lower goal the second time).  And yes, he is notorious for not fulfilling his end of the bargain . . . with listeners as well as fellow musicians.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Done with "Pledge Music"   Done with "Pledge Music" I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2019 5:04 pm

Through The Dark Radio wrote:
Yes, David Benson did use Kickstarter a couple of times (didn't make the goal the first time and made a lower goal the second time).  And yes, he is notorious for not fulfilling his end of the bargain . . . with listeners as well as fellow musicians.

I dig most of his music, but after hearing horror stories of people he hasn't gotten merch to....I won't order anything directly from him...only from a reputable distributor, even if I have to pay a few dollars more for it.

Black Rider

PostSubject: Re: Done with "Pledge Music"   Done with "Pledge Music" I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 14, 2019 5:34 pm

This reinforces my aversion to giving ahead of time.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 20060
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Done with "Pledge Music"   Done with "Pledge Music" I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2019 7:21 am

With Pledge Music folding, it is going to leave a bad taste in people's mouths about crowdfunding.  I read an article yesterday where the author was almost predicting the death throws for all these pledge campaign sites as there would be massive distrust of them in the future.

As I said earlier, I like the crowdfunding more when the artists have rewards.  Some bands now, like The Brave and Red, want people to just give them the cash with no rewards.  I am not doing that.  Maybe they feel differently or have different motives, but it just makes the artists seem like entitled brats.  We don't owe you anything for making more music.  We only owe you, as a fan, when you produce a product we like.  If we don't like it, then we have the right to pass on it.  It is our money, by the way.

That does happen.  I cannot stand the album that Guardian put out after having to wait TWO years to get it.  The updates for that project were done regularly, but no real info or timeline for the release was given until the album was about to drop.  I liked the last Rose album, but it took nearly 7 months after the promised date to get it done.  Many fans did not enjoy that album.  That may be why Randy is going back to a more doomy stoner sound.

I don't remember if The Brave did a Kickstarter on their last album or not.  I feel like they did, and a lot of fans didn't like it.  The guitars were very thin sounding compared to their studio releases.  The band concealed the female singer until the release came out.  Fans felt betrayed.  Now, they are doing a "gimme money" drive where you really don't get any rewards or guarantees.  That just feels smarmy to me.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

PostSubject: Re: Done with "Pledge Music"   Done with "Pledge Music" I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2019 9:57 am

I'll continue to do crowdfunding as well as things like Patreon.
Back to top Go down
Black Rider

Black Rider

PostSubject: Re: Done with "Pledge Music"   Done with "Pledge Music" I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2019 11:21 am

Alldat nailed it, bands putting out bad albums like Guardian and The Brave are what scare me off. Or getting no album which in Guardian's case, might've been preferred.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Done with "Pledge Music"   Done with "Pledge Music" I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 15, 2019 12:35 pm

alldatndensum wrote:

As I said earlier, I like the crowdfunding more when the artists have rewards.  Some bands now, like The Brave and Red, want people to just give them the cash with no rewards.  I am not doing that.  Maybe they feel differently or have different motives, but it just makes the artists seem like entitled brats.  We don't owe you anything for making more music.  We only owe you, as a fan, when you produce a product we like.  If we don't like it, then we have the right to pass on it.  It is our money, by the way.

To me that just smacks of arrogance.  There is absolutely no way I would ever give money to any band just to "exist", sounds like one of the dumbest things I have ever heard.  If a band doesn't put out music I like, or at least tour at a venue near me...they won't be getting any of my money.  If they have to get "day jobs" to survive than do it, or just get out of the music scene altogether.  Both Red and The Brave need to either front the money for their own recording projects and if they don't recoup their costs maybe they should pack it in and go into real estate or something.  Or do like the million other independent music artists and just create music because just because they love to, and don't expect to make a profit from it.

PostSubject: Re: Done with "Pledge Music"   Done with "Pledge Music" I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Done with "Pledge Music"
Page 1 of 1