Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

I Just Don't Get It

Go down 
+8
messiaen77
Jen5
Driven
MikeInFla
Xid
Staybrite
Black Rider
alldatndensum
12 posters
AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23465
Registration date : 2007-01-30

I Just Don't Get It Empty
PostSubject: I Just Don't Get It   I Just Don't Get It I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2019 1:56 pm

So, Artist A is a metal musician.  It is how he has made a living and he had a buttload of fans from doing that.

Artist A then decedes to "stretch" and do something different.  He can't understand why his fans don't magically jump on board to support this new work when it is so far removed from what he normally does.  He even takes to the press or social media to somewhat condemn his fans for not being open minded to other styles.

Here's my two cents:

A) If you want your metal fans to buy your music, do a metal record.

B) Don't expect your fanbase to follow if you do something outside of their likes.  They know what they like.  Let them decide. 

C) Get over yourself, musician.  Why do you think we owe you?  Do I have to buy something just because your worshipfulness made it?  If I don't like the type of music you put out on the side, then that's my business.  You just don't want to have to do the work to build a new fanbase outside of where you are known.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Black Rider

Black Rider

Number of posts : 1566
Registration date : 2011-04-13

PostSubject: Re: I Just Don't Get It   I Just Don't Get It I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2019 2:34 pm

That's pure ego.
I don't understand when bands start one way then morph because of changing popular styles and say it's who they were all along. Not to name names like Guardian and Holy Soldier.  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: I Just Don't Get It   I Just Don't Get It I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2019 3:25 pm

They were trying to ride the wave to stay on top with the industry and not their fans.  It didn't work for secular bands either.  Remember the Dokken and KISS albums that were more alternative?  Queensryche?  The albums might be okay, but it wasn't what their fans wanted.

I like what Jimmy P. Brown is doing.  He brought back the thrash with Deliverance.  He knows half of the big D's fans won't be happy.  So, his solo stuff will be more like the middle era.  You can enjoy both or pick and choose.  He doesn't seem to mind having two sets of fans.  I think I will send him a message privately and thank him for that.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23418
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: I Just Don't Get It   I Just Don't Get It I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2019 9:02 pm

So Micheal Sweet is making a Jazz album?
Laughing

Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: I Just Don't Get It   I Just Don't Get It I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2019 11:01 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Laughing

Now that's funny!   lol!

Actually, I was referring to someone who has been known as a bridezilla.

Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: I Just Don't Get It   I Just Don't Get It I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 01, 2019 11:30 pm

The ego is a funny, funny thing.  It's also funny to listen the enlarged ego talk about being a humble servant.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: I Just Don't Get It   I Just Don't Get It I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2019 11:21 am

alldatndensum wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
Laughing

Now that's funny!   lol!

I suspected that is who you were talking about...but I thought my comment would be good for a cheap laugh.  Laughing

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3117
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: I Just Don't Get It   I Just Don't Get It I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2019 12:33 pm

So I had no idea what the topic was about but the title had me think MATH. As in "I just don't get it". That's what I always said while doing math. That's why I chose a degree in Communications. Very little math required.

Not sure what artist you're referring to but yeah I agree. Keep it in the style we know and love. With that said I so like the Kiss album that was grunge sounding. Don't remember which one it is, I had it on cassette years ago.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: I Just Don't Get It   I Just Don't Get It I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 02, 2019 1:31 pm

MikeInFla wrote:
Not sure what artist you're referring to but yeah I agree. Keep it in the style we know and love. With that said I so like the Kiss album that was grunge sounding. Don't remember which one it is, I had it on cassette years ago.

I'm thinking you mean Carnival of Souls.  Definitely a bit of a departure for Kiss.

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: I Just Don't Get It   I Just Don't Get It I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2019 10:30 pm

I'm not sure what I would do if I were to get serious about recording music. I listen to, and write in, too many styles to want to nail down one. I would probably do different project names.
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2017-08-01

PostSubject: Re: I Just Don't Get It   I Just Don't Get It I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 06, 2019 11:13 pm

Personally, it would drive me insane to write in only one style. My way of thinking is, "if you like it, cool, if not, then that's cool too." Definitely an artist shouldn't EXPECT their fans to follow them on their creative journey. They can HOPE that they will, but to slag the fans for not liking their new sound is a bit rich. On the flip-side though, I think that fans can get a bit single-minded about their favourite artists. Take Mike Portnoy for example. He was a loved member of Dream Theater for many years, but he left in 2010. Some DT fans just won't let it go. The guy is forever (and still) justifying his decision to expand his musical experience by doing something else. So I think it goes both ways. Fans should respect the rights of the artist to follow their creative muse and artists should respect the rights of the fans to walk away.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: I Just Don't Get It   I Just Don't Get It I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2019 5:55 am

Exactly this!!!!

Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: I Just Don't Get It   I Just Don't Get It I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 07, 2019 11:18 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
Laughing

Now that's funny!   lol!

And...?
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: I Just Don't Get It   I Just Don't Get It I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2019 7:14 am

messiaen77 wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
Laughing

Now that's funny!   lol!

And...?

While this could have been directed at Mr. Sweet, it wasn't.  Let me fix that hint for you.

I was referring to someone who has been known as a Bridezilla.  That ought to get you there.

Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: I Just Don't Get It   I Just Don't Get It I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 08, 2019 4:05 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
messiaen77 wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
Laughing

Now that's funny!   lol!

And...?

While this could have been directed at Mr. Sweet, it wasn't.  Let me fix that hint for you.

I was referring to someone who has been known as a Bridezilla.  That ought to get you there.

I missed it until now as well. It was right there, staring me in the face.
Back to top Go down
deathisgain

deathisgain

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2014-12-04

PostSubject: Re: I Just Don't Get It   I Just Don't Get It I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2019 6:56 pm

For me I really liked a lot of the stuff Bride did. I evolved with music as it did, and got away from Christian music around the mid to late 90's, because I couldn't find a lot of bands. Latter when I went back and was able to listen to Bride's music online, I was wishing I knew about it during those times.

That being said, the last few albums they put out really have done nothing for me. The last one I really liked was "This is it".

I agree that if a musician is going to change styles, don't complain when the fans don't come along.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: I Just Don't Get It   I Just Don't Get It I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 04, 2019 10:45 pm

I have nothing to add, and agree with everything said here already. That's my input  Razz
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: I Just Don't Get It   I Just Don't Get It I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 05, 2019 7:14 am

I Just Don't Get It Need-more-input

Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: I Just Don't Get It   I Just Don't Get It I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 1:06 pm

Ah...that makes a lot of sense now.  I haven't followed said artist since the days when he started blasting anyone who disagreed with his views, so I went to see what all the hubbub was about.  First, I think it is pretty telling that his place of employment is listed as his fan club.  Second, I"ve never really been able to figure out if he is really that arrogant or if it is the character he plays.  Third, I found the project on Spotify.  It's the kind of thing that someone like me might dig enough to listen to on occasion, but there ain't no way the hardcore metal fans are gonna support it. 

I don't have a problem with artists pursuing the wide range of their creative interests, I just think they need to realize they are likely going to have to find a new audience for work that goes too far afield from their original sound.  You mentioned JPB--I thought Eraserhead was one of my top 5 albums last year.  I liked it better than the D album even, but he shared that he was getting one guy telling him he either needed to just do thrashy D albums or get out of music altogether.  Jimmy realizes that his solo stuff isn't going to appeal to all of his D fans, and he's ok with that.
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2017-08-01

PostSubject: Re: I Just Don't Get It   I Just Don't Get It I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 1:20 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
You mentioned JPB--I thought Eraserhead was one of my top 5 albums last year.  I liked it better than the D album even, but he shared that he was getting one guy telling him he either needed to just do thrashy D albums or get out of music altogether.
That's not uncommon unfortunately. Some fans of the bigger artists can be awful. They're definitely a minority. Thankfully
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: I Just Don't Get It   I Just Don't Get It I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 2:09 pm

Jen5 wrote:
messiaen77 wrote:
You mentioned JPB--I thought Eraserhead was one of my top 5 albums last year.  I liked it better than the D album even, but he shared that he was getting one guy telling him he either needed to just do thrashy D albums or get out of music altogether.
That's not uncommon unfortunately. Some fans of the bigger artists can be awful. They're definitely a minority. Thankfully

I actually enjoy Jimmy's more introspective works like his solo album or Jupiter VI.  I would never tell him not to do the thrashy stuff.  I just probably won't buy it.

Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: I Just Don't Get It   I Just Don't Get It I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 07, 2019 2:56 pm

JPBII has a Patreon page now where he keeps things updated pretty regularly with new songs and what-not.
Back to top Go down
bassdude

bassdude

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: I Just Don't Get It   I Just Don't Get It I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 24, 2019 3:05 pm

I haven't bought anything of Bride's since Scarecrow Messiah.....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I Just Don't Get It   I Just Don't Get It I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I Just Don't Get It
Page 1 of 1