Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Christmas Movie Kwestion

Go down 
+5
Fundy
Staybrite
MikeInFla
Xid
Hardkore
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Hardkore

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2553
Registration date : 2007-06-03

A Christmas Movie Kwestion Empty
PostSubject: A Christmas Movie Kwestion   A Christmas Movie Kwestion I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2018 2:41 am

It has been a while since we had a kwestion thread. I recently came across a thought of one that might be a bit interesting...

Which version of A Christmas Carol is your favorite.

Some of you may not exactly know how many versions there are so I'll make a list of what I know/can find.
1951) Scrooge w/ Alastair Sim

1970) Scrooge w/ Albert Finney

1983) Mickey's Christmas Carol

1984) George C. Scott -TV movie

1988) Scrooged w/Bill Murray

1999) Patrick Stewart -TV movie

2004) TV movie

2009) Jim Carrey

2017) The Man Who Invented Christmas

I found plenty more versions here...https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&q=a+christmas+carol+movie
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5505
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Movie Kwestion   A Christmas Movie Kwestion I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2018 10:10 am

I haven't watched them enough to form an opinion.  I recall George C. Scott doing a good version.  I also remember Henry Winkler's version.  It was the first time I recall seeing The Fonz outside of Happy Days.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3111
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Movie Kwestion   A Christmas Movie Kwestion I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2018 11:05 am

My favorite is the one from 1931. Also like the Patrick Stewart version. All are enjoyable bought the Jim Carrey version on Blu-ray this year.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Movie Kwestion   A Christmas Movie Kwestion I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2018 1:27 pm

Very cool another Dumb Kwestion!!  (only this one isn't so dumb).  
It's great when someone does one of these...kind of makes me not feel so bad about dropping the ball with them.

In all seriousness my favorite is A Muppet Christmas Carol.  I have always liked the story but couldn't completely connect with most of the film versions of it until the Muppet version from 1992.  This was the first time the Muppet production team really put out a quality film.  It had fantastic production, amazing sets, as superb acting (the excellent Michael Cain as Scrooge).  Even the puppet actors did a great job.  There was still a bit of the comedy and zaniness you would expect from a Muppet film, but much of it was centered around the films narrator team Gonzo and Rizzo the Rat, while most of the main story character's played by puppets played their roles mostly straight.  So it had a good mix of humor, drama, sadness, and joy the story requires (well I guess it doesn't need the humor....but it was still appreciated by me).  I watch it every year.

Fundy

Number of posts : 5307
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Movie Kwestion   A Christmas Movie Kwestion I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2018 4:14 pm

I agree

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Movie Kwestion   A Christmas Movie Kwestion I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2018 4:41 pm

I really do like the Muppet Christmas Carol (HEAT WAVE!!!) but for me, it's the George C. Scott version.
Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Movie Kwestion   A Christmas Movie Kwestion I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 20, 2018 10:13 pm

Haven't seen The Muppets  version yet. Maybe I can find it on youtube. I will also be looking up Mickey's Christmas Carol too.

Ultimately I have to say the George C Scott version is my fav.

The Man Who Invented Christmas makes a really good origin story of sorts. Don't know how much of it may actually be true, but it is still incredible.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Movie Kwestion   A Christmas Movie Kwestion I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 21, 2018 12:44 pm

I will say that I was rather disappointed with the Jim Carey version a few years back.  Not horrible, but kind of paled in comparison to the hype surrounding it.  Not nearly as good as his version of The Grinch.

I also dig Bill Murray in Scrooged, and the more recent "The Man Who Invented Christmas"

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9927
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Movie Kwestion   A Christmas Movie Kwestion I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 24, 2018 10:43 am

Scrooged is the only one we watch every year. Fits our whacky tastes better.

A Christmas Movie Kwestion Scroogedbillcarole
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3111
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Movie Kwestion   A Christmas Movie Kwestion I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2018 9:03 am

Did some movie watching over the past few days. I think my favorite version is from 1938. I saw a face that seemed familiar yet I couldn't place it and the role is uncredited. It one of Bob's daughters.

A Christmas Movie Kwestion 1867a_t715

It is the young lady on the left. Turns out she is none other that Will & Penny Robinson's mother on Lost In Space! Yep, June Lockheart in her very first role. It is also interesting that the actors playing the Cratchits are her real parents! Cool bit of movie trivia.

This was on TCM and has been remastered and the film is fantasic visually.

Yesterday we watched "The Man Who Invented Christmas" and that is also a fun movie. As stated, not quite sure how much is true and how much is fiction but it is an outstanding movie as well.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23441
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Movie Kwestion   A Christmas Movie Kwestion I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 29, 2018 7:07 pm

I will have to go with the George C. Scott or Scrooged versions.  Scrooged is a nice different take on the whole shenanigans.

I did not like the Jim Carrey version.  The story was essentially the same.  But, it felt like half the movie were the unnecessary "flying" scenes.  They dragged on forever, and it truly bogged the rest of the film down.  If I want Jim Carrey at Christmas, then I am going to watch The Grinch.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
deathisgain

deathisgain

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2014-12-04

PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Movie Kwestion   A Christmas Movie Kwestion I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 31, 2018 6:50 pm

It's been awhile since I've watched some of the old ones. The one I watch almost every year, is with Kelsey Grammar. It pretty much makes me cry at the end.

I did see the Man Who Invented Christmas, and it was a pretty good movie. If you read the history on Dickens, Christmas barely existed in England at that time. He changed all of it. He put the book up with his own money, because the publishers thought it wasn't good enough. He sold out that year, and giving increased. We owe him a lot.
Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Movie Kwestion   A Christmas Movie Kwestion I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 17, 2019 12:40 pm

While I thought the Jim Carrey version was pretty good, it doesn't do it for me as a whole. Most of the movie was put together for the sake of the 3D. The "flying" scenes and the carriage chase probably work better for the younger crowd, yet the chase is a bit darker (probably too dark for the youngsters).

Scrooge (1970) with Albert Finney is my second fav as it is lighter in tone due to it is more of a musical. Imagine A Christmas Carol on Broadway with a lot of singing. Then the fact that one of the other names in this that jumped out at me was Alec Guiness. Yep,the original Obi-Wan Kenobi was in this before he did Star Wars. He played as Jacob Marley.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Christmas Movie Kwestion   A Christmas Movie Kwestion I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Christmas Movie Kwestion
Page 1 of 1