Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA

Go down 
+7
MikeInFla
rockerVu2
topshot rhit
Guilty/Forgiven
Jen5
Through The Dark Radio
alldatndensum
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23441
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA Empty
PostSubject: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2018 8:37 am

As most of you know, Mike lives in Panama City where hurricane Michael hit hard.  Mike's wife is in Tennessee and is unable to work due to being away from home.  Mike is also unable to work as the paper mill he works for was damaged.  Plus, the owner has set up tents with cots, a kitchen, and shower trailers in the parking lot to assist his employees.

Mike isn't asking for help, but financial aid is needed.  If you can spare anything at all, please use the following email address to send funds directly to Mike's PayPal.  This would help him immensely.  Your prayers are also greatly appreciated.

rhondabridges@live.com

Please be sure to select Gift on PayPal if you choose to help Mike.  This prevents PayPal from deducting user fees.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2018 8:42 am

Done.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2018 1:21 pm

Thank you for supporting Mike!!!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2017-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2018 3:24 pm

Oh man! Tents and cots? Has Mike lost his home, Chris?
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2018 7:04 pm

Not the whole house. He has lost part of his roof and the house took in a lot of water.  Compared to others in the area, he could have fared much worse.

Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2018 12:35 am

Sheesh! That's awful.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9927
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2018 12:53 am

Fantastic idea Chris !
Should things work out in December, I'd be able to donate some then... course that doesn't help now. I'll see if I can sell some more albums, I did pretty good last month, unfortunately I sold most of the best titles... but, I'll see what I can do.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2018 1:27 pm

Jen, I think a few blocks from Mike's house there were nothing but slabs of concrete.
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2018 8:05 pm

Oh man. I know first hand how awful that is, to lose your home. You know it's been 10 months since our family home was inundated by the sea and it was only last month that the builders could actually start building. This initiative is wonderful, Chris. The emotional and financial after-effects of something like this go on and on.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3869

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2018 8:26 pm

In my opinion some of the houses I worked on after Katrina would have been better off had they been totaled than having to gut and remodel. One really nice one had fully flooded the second floor (23' surge).

Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2018 8:53 pm

That's what we found. It would have been easier to pull the whole thing down and less traumatic for my family, but the insurance people would only fund new piles and a rebuild of the ground floor. To gut and remodel is very time consuming and labour intensive. You have to sift through everything, so, in a way, those folks who are left with just a concrete slab have it easier in terms of rebuilding, but they have the far greater emotional trauma of being left with nothing, which I think is worse.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16553
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 17, 2018 8:02 am

I will support Mike and his family in prayer.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 18, 2018 12:59 am

Quote :
One really nice one had fully flooded the second floor (23' surge)

affraid Holy  affraid High-waters affraid Batman !! THAT is nuts !!
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 26, 2018 8:30 am

Has anyone heard from Mike?
How it goes there where he lives?
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3111
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2018 9:10 am

Checking in from my phone. Still no internet at home but phone works occasionally. We have power and water again and my wife and daughters have returned home. We have extensive damage but our home can be lived in. We fared better than some of the others in the area. My next step is to find a roofer to repair the damage, remove some trees and get the cars fixed (repainted and dents taken out).  All of the trees on the ground have been removed from the yard. My employer sent a crew to the house to cut up everything on the ground then they used heavy equipment to move it out of the backyard. Will probably have to cut down what remains at my own expense which is going to cost thousands. My fence is destroyed from trees and the fence isn't covered by insurance. Insurance is a funny thing. My fence is insured under everything EXCEPT hurricane damage. 

It is going to take sometime to find a roofer because thousands of homes in the area need a new roof. We have tarps over the house and they are holding as we had a big rain storm over the weekend and I am glad to say we had no leaks. 

I want to thank you all for your prayers and donations as they have really come in handy. God is good and we will rebuild and try to get life back to normal. My older daughter says the inside of the house looks normal but it is a disaster outside so she wants to stay inside to be as normal as possible.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2018 10:04 am

Great to hear your roof isn't leaking and the interior of your home is mostly normal.  Praying you can get the rest cleaned up and fixed without completely breaking the bank.

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2018 6:36 pm

Are there any Disaster Relief Organizations helping out in the area ? When we had our huge quake in '92, there were quite a few who came out to provide water and help with repairs.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2018 7:50 pm

There are many church groups, the Baptist Relief teams, Catholic Charities relief teams, Red Cross, etc.

Mike's wife and girls are back home now.  They have both power and water now.

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2018 8:52 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
There are many church groups, the Baptist Relief teams, Catholic Charities relief teams, Red Cross, etc.

Mike's wife and girls are back home now.  They have both power and water now.

Fantastic !  cheers
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 8:33 am

Glad to hear from you, Mike.  Let us know how to help out.
Back to top Go down
Samson

Samson

Number of posts : 734
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 10:20 am

Just be sure to choose your roofer carefully, as I'm sure some shady folks will come out of the woodwork only to take your money and run.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 11:40 am

Hey Mike, glad to hear things are starting to return to some sense of normal for you and that you at least have your fam back.  Yeah, I can imagine the roof is going to be tarp-covered for a while.  I have friends in Southport, NC who lost their roof to Florence and they are projecting March before they can get anything done about it.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 31, 2018 3:45 pm

It's good to hear from you Mike.
I hope you can find a roofer.
Glad to hear your wife and daughters are home now.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 05, 2018 1:51 pm

Thought I would share this video. While his home was being destroyed here in Panama City he was thanking God.

Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 08, 2018 6:59 am

Update: Still trying to get back to normal. We still have power outages every day and still have loss of data on cell phones but it isn't as bad as it was before. But sometimes I am stuck with basic texts which really slows down my phone when someone sends a picture and it tries to download. But I would say 90% of the time cell service is restored.

All trees have been cut except one oak. 3 tree guys looked at it, 2 of them "Arborists" said they think it will survive and let it try and live. It would be our only shade tree so we decided to leave it alone. I do see new leaves growing on it and that is a good sign. I asked about trimming it up and all of them said "no". They said the tree is already stressed and doesn't need to go thru anything else and just let it be. I saved almost $1000 by not grinding the stumps. They cut them down all the way to the ground and I am ok with that. Then they drilled holes in the stump and told me to buy some stump killer and pour into the holes. One stump had to be put thru the grinder because it uprooted and was on the fence.

I called several fence companies and all of them told me they could not come out to make an estimate until Jan 2019. I told that to the tree guy and he said "download an app called Thumbtack. It is like Home Advisor or Angie's List and people will be on there to help". So I downloaded the app and within 5 minutes a fence man replied to my post. He came out yesterday to repair the fence and will finish it today! it isn't the greatest looking fence as I did not want total replacement only repair but it will be sufficient. Insurance did not cover it at all and I am having to pay out of pocket. I will not use any insurance money to pay for it as I am saving it for the house.

First car scheduled for repair the last week of Nov and will take 17 days to repair. Hopefully insurance will cover it all. The other car is scheduled for mid Dec.

Still no luck with roofers. I did get a local company to give me an estimate and it was sky high, over $15000! And that was for metal roof only, not the repairs to the upper-side of the house and trim. That is pretty high and insurance did not give me enough to pay for it so I will wait on another estimate. The out of town companies have not given me ANY written estimates so I will not use those guys at all. I want to know a ballpark figure. Still waiting on another local guy to come out but he is pretty swamped. He said he could save me a few thousand by not tearing off existing shingles. When I asked about wet or rotted wood he said he could find any without removing the shingles. But he lives an hour away and traffic has been a stand-still coming into town so he didn't come out when planned but I am willing to wait for him to be able to get here -- I am hoping to go with him and I believe my insurance money will cover most if not all if I use him.

I have tried to get in touch with insurance but they will not call me back. I am going to try and get more out of them because of the high estimate and see if there is more they can supplement. Insurance will only give me "credit" for shingles but I really need a metal roof as I have almost no pitch on the house and one area is almost completely flat and new Florida codes will not allow shingles in that area. Basically insurance is saying "you have crappy 3-tab shingles and those are not any good. However we only pay for existing shingles and since you have 3-tab that is what we pay for". Which doesn't make sense! Why would they risk having another disaster and having to pay out again instead of paying for an upgrade? So I am doing my best to find a metal roof. The tarps are secured with boards and should last a good 6 months so I am going to wait it out for the right company to do it. I did find a few on Thumbtack but they are pretty busy. One is supposed to come out this afternoon.

Another problem with roofers is all of them have Panama City area codes. But when they call you back the area code is from out of town. When I ask them where they are from they say "Panama City". And I say "but you have a Miami, Atlanta, Jacksonville, etc area code.... Oh yeah, we are based there but we have an office here".... Yeah you have an office here but didn't BEFORE the storm.

Here is an interesting story: A man knocked on the door a few days ago. My wife answered the door and he said "Hello, I work for such and such roofing. I am not here to sell you a roof but if you need one here is my card. The reason I am here is because I had a few estimates on this street. But I am at your house because I just wanted to look at it. I lived here 30 years ago and grew up in this house". He proceeded to tell my wife things about the house that only we knew so he wasn't lying. My wife thought it was cool and let him in. He mentioned the addition to our house and said "we did this part ourselves and it was terrible! It leaked all the time and the floor isn't level. We had a pool table here and the balls rolled all over the table". My wife laughed and said "Yep, it has always had a leak problem since we have lived here and whenever you drop a battery or something it rolls across the floor". He also confirmed a story my neighbor told me.... Years ago my neighbor said "In the back room of your house notice the lock on the room is on the OUTSIDE of the door. Years ago they used to lock the dad in there because he was crazy".... The roofing contractor told my wife "This room used to have a door that locked from the outside and my mom used to lock my dad in there because he was a bad alcoholic". So that story was confirmed by him. We removed the door after we moved in because that is our computer/music room and there was no need for a door. He went into my older daughter's room and said that was his old bedroom. He said he would return after I got home from work and answer any questions I had about the house but he never showed up.... I looked at his business card and saw his name so I went across the street and asked my neighbor if they knew him. They said "Yeah, he grew up in your house why?". And I told them the story and they thought it was neat that he came by and he asked me for the business card so he could call him and I let him have it.

Other than that we are slowly getting back to normal but have a long way to go. Ceiling still needs to be painted, some sheet rock needs to be replaced and shed needs repaired and needs to be moved back on its concrete blocks (hurricane moved it 2 feet even with hurricane straps tying it down and I just bought the barn shed in June so I want it repaired).

A week ago I found damage to the stucco on the side of the house (this was when I would here from insurance adjuster every day). I took pics and sent them to him and they allowed $500 for repairs. I lucked out -- I looked in the shed and had a bucket of stucco left over and I repaired it myself the best I could so I saved money. Unfortunately I don't know how to replace ceiling sheet rock so I do not want to even attempt to mess with that but I could save more money doing it myself. I might even paint the ceiling myself of some of the areas with stains but will get an esitmate from a repair man on replacing certain areas and painting the ceiling.

My wife's classroom is a disaster at school and classes start next week but we will have to go this weekend and try to get it back to normal. I told my wife to wait on me so I could move heavy stuff. Be in prayer for her as she wants to find another job. It isn't that she doesn't like teaching but she doesn't like middle school and wants to teach high school instead. We are thankful she has the job but the school is stressful as they require teachers to work above and beyond normal hours and be involved in school activities after hours. She has told them it is too stressful trying to manage our daughter's diabetes and do after school functions and she has let them know she will not return next year.

Speaking of diabetes, the doctor's office was open so we went last week and the doctor was happy with her progress. They gave us a free bottle of insulin which is not cheap so we appreciated it. I called them yesterday for a refill on test strips and they said if I needed more insulin to stop by and get a bottle. very nice of them!

I am still working and helping try and get us back up and running. I am thankful for all my employer has done for us financially helping out and giving us supplies and food.

As for disaster relief FEMA is here but hasn't been much help. I applied and was denied assistance "because you have insurance". I threw the letter in the garbage. Then a FEMA guy came to the door and i said I threw the letter away because I was denied. He said I should've saved it because I can appeal and they would offer assistance to pay what insurance won't cover but it is a long process.... I need written letters of work complete, prices paid above insurance and it has to be notorized. I may look into it further but roof still hasnt been fixed so I will wait.

So that is where I am now. recovering as best we can but still a long way to go.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA   Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hurricane assistance for our friend MikeinFLA
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next