Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Random Ramblings

Go down 
+15
mr.electric40
Fundy
Guilty/Forgiven
Jen5
rockerVu2
Dynamis
Hardkore
kerrick
alldatndensum
Xid
MikeInFla
Staybrite
Driven
messiaen77
Through The Dark Radio
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23465
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Random Ramblings - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2018 11:18 am

Xid wrote:
The ones that carry mace really put a damper on things.

True!  The ones with the tazers are hot!  Nothing says, "I love you!" like an electric shock!

lol! lol! lol! 

And, we have digressed enough!  Sorry, ladies!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Jen5

Jen5

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2017-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2018 2:33 pm

No mace here. It's not legal to carry.    geek
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3504
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2018 2:41 pm

SERIOUSLY???  Ugh that is terrible...  I'm sure the criminals follow those rules too, right?   Rolling Eyes Mad  I am very grateful to live in a place where good citizens are allowed to protect themselves.  Here in Idaho we have what's called "constitutional carry" which means that because of the US Constitution, residents of Idaho (over 21 years old in the cities, 18 outside of cities) are allowed to carry concealed firearms.  I feel a heck of a lot better because of this - especially now that I'm a husband and father.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2018 3:12 pm

Jen5 wrote:
No mace here. It's not legal to carry.    geek

Actual mace isn't legal here, either.  You can buy pepper spray all day long, though.  You can get a stun gun (different than a taser) at a lot of places.  My wife has one but refuses to carry it.  I wish she would, though.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2018 3:24 pm

I wasn't aware that there was much of any difference between mace and pepper spray?  I haven't looked into laws here regarding sprays since we can just carry guns.  I do know that people here are encouraged to keep bear spray with them when outdoors and I bet that'd be mighty effective against people too.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2018 4:40 pm

https://www.pepper-spray-store.com/pages/mace-vs-pepperspray

That explains the difference.  Real mace is banned in the USA as well.  There is a brand of pepper spray today named Mace.  We can buy pepper spray in many different places here in TN and it is legal to use it if needed.

Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2018 5:02 pm

Wow. Serious cultural differences here. No concealed weapons unless you have a license to carry. A license is for hunting or rifle range. Out in the street. No way! To get a license you have to undergo a psych evaluation and have a handful of long-time references and a police check. Your license gets reviewed regularly. Of course there are people who carry illegally (gangs members and drug dealers), but in the scheme of things, it's not a huge problem. The police don't carry guns unless they're members of the Armed Defenders Squad. The Armed Defenders are an on call squad so they are not patrolling. Regular police officers carry a billy bat and a taser.

Yup. Totally different here.  : )
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2018 9:58 pm

Every cop here wears a gun.  Most carry tasers, a Billy club, and their gun.  They typically have a pump action shotgun in their trunks, too.

Each state has it's own laws concerning guns.  In TN, you cannot carry a weapon without a permit.  The permit allows you to carry either openly or concealed.  Many people choose to carry a pistol around here.  As a matter of fact, I carry one with me quite frequently.  Sometimes, I wear multiple firearms just because I can.

Ain't America great!!!

Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2018 11:51 pm

I'm really surprised that many of you carry guns (or even own them). I don't know anyone here who has a gun. Ten years ago I worked with a woman whose husband got a license for hunting ducks and I have a friend whose husband is on the Armed Defenders Squad, but that's the limit to my experience -- lol. If everyone is carrying a gun in the US, I would feel very cautious about walking around. I'm afraid I don't have much confidence in the sanity of the general population of this world we live in. I'm very glad that you all feel secure, but I would find it unnerving. No judgement there. It's just alien to me.

I find these differences fascinating. We are all so similar...and yet, we're not. I love that variety.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2018 11:59 pm

Jen5 wrote:
I'm afraid I don't have much confidence in the sanity of the general population of this world we live in. I'm very glad that you all feel secure, but I would find it unnerving. No judgement there. It's just alien to me.

I find these differences fascinating. We are all so similar...and yet, we're not. I love that variety.

That's just it:  The average person is well-mannered, well behaved, thoughtful and courteous.  It's the few nutjobs that ruin it for everyone else.  The more people who carry a weapon, the less likely a criminal is going to try anything as it could very well cost them their life.  If there's a 1 in 4 chance that you'll be shot trying to rob somebody, chances are you'll think twice.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2018 12:48 am

Yeah, but the thief has the element of surprise on their side so how many people would actually succeed in opening their handbag to extract their pistol in time or in reaching down to take it out of their boot or wherever they have it stowed?

There is another difference that really puts all this into context. I live in a small country. We only have 4 and a half million people here. There were 48 deaths by murder or manslaughter last year in New Zealand. The numbers are pretty low by comparison so to carry a weapon with me to the shops would verge on ridiculous. So, as I said, it's no judgement on my part, it's just an observation that what works in the US (I mean, y'all seem happy with the set up), wouldn't work here.

Weird.  : )
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2018 4:51 am

Today was wonderful. A dear friend I haven't seen in 8 years came to town. He doesn't live near me and we have lost touch over the last few years with the chaos of life. We had lunch at home and then went for a walk in the botanical garden. It was so SO nice to catch up and reminisce. Funny how you can not see someone for so long and then just pick up where you left off as close and connected as ever. Lovely, lovely day.

Feeling blessed.  ✝ 😊🌈
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2018 7:39 am

Jen5 wrote:
Yeah, but the thief has the element of surprise on their side so how many people would actually succeed in opening their handbag to extract their pistol in time or in reaching down to take it out of their boot or wherever they have it stowed?

There is another difference that really puts all this into context. I live in a small country. We only have 4 and a half million people here. There were 48 deaths by murder or manslaughter last year in New Zealand. The numbers are pretty low by comparison so to carry a weapon with me to the shops would verge on ridiculous. So, as I said, it's no judgement on my part, it's just an observation that what works in the US (I mean, y'all seem happy with the set up), wouldn't work here.

Weird.  : )

Actually, having firearms is an equilizer.  The news media is very liberally minded here and paints all gun owners as killers.  They refuse to air news stories that happen quite frequently of an armed citizen stopping attempted robberies or carjackings.  It does happen, and security cameras catch stuff like this all the time.

In the areas where guns are prohibited, the crime rate is higher for the most part.  Look at Chicago and Washington, D.C.  The murder rate is ridiculous.  Texas has made it much easier to carry a gun, and their murder rates (except on the border where drugs pass into the country) has dropped overall.  Kennisaw, GA has made gun ownership mandatory, and they have had ONE murder since enacting that law.  People don't want to mess with you if they think they will get killed in return. 

On that note, I am going to a CHURCH event today called Guns N' Grub.  It is a parachurch (multiple church) men's ministry that gets guys together to pray and fellowship.  They shoot a lot of ammo at a lot of paper targets.  I am carrying my Ruger .22, my Ruger 9 MM, and my Hi-Point 9 MM.  I am not taking either of my wife's two pistols (both .22s--and one is pink!).  I also am leaving my grandfather's little Derringer style pistol at home as it is too hard to shoot.  It needs some work, but no gunsmith around here knows what to do with it.  I have an idea, but they won't modify the inner workings for me.

So, not only do we have a lot of guns, even many of our church folk embrace having them.  They can be great stress relievers at a gun range.  They can be tools for hunting.  And, they can be great tools for SAVING lives by stopping threats.  Sure, people can die if you use a gun; but if you are using them correctly, then they are just a tool that people can use.  Never be afraid of a gun, but respect the weapon.  Be more afraid of the crazed lunatic who would kill you in a heartbeat whether they have a gun, knife, baseball bat, etc.

Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2018 4:10 pm

"mandatory ownership?" Really? Wow. That would be a weird law to enforce. Fined for NOT carrying a weapon...but if it works, then....
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2018 7:43 am

Jen5 wrote:
"mandatory ownership?" Really? Wow. That would be a weird law to enforce. Fined for NOT carrying a weapon...but if it works, then....

The law in Kennesaw doesn't mean you have to carry it all the time.  It simply means that every household and business has one.  It works for them.  As I said, they have only had one murder in nearly 20 years since making that law.  The guy who was caught, convicted, and jailed for that murder was not even from that town.  Go figure!

Anway, I went to my Guns & Grub event yesterday.  Here is my short review:

We started off with skeet shooting.  Ya'll don't have to worry about ol' alldat with a shotgun.  I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a bass fiddle when it comes to skeet shooting.  Oh, I can hit something larger than a clay disc, but we were only shooting skeet and not larger targets.

Now, with a handgun, you'd better run.  While he was speed shooting, I was as accurate as the guy who was there from the local sheriff's department!  On the silhouette, I was putting shot after shot in the same space for 8 rounds and then changed for a head shot.  This metal silhouette was much smaller  than what we used when I trained for my conceal/carry permit.  One of the guys told me I was scary after I shot!

Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2018 12:27 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
The law in Kennesaw doesn't mean you have to carry it all the time.  It simply means that every household and business has one.  It works for them.  As I said, they have only had one murder in nearly 20 years since making that law.  The guy who was caught, convicted, and jailed for that murder was not even from that town.  Go figure!

We started off with skeet shooting.  Ya'll don't have to worry about ol' alldat with a shotgun.  I can't hit the broad side of a barn with a bass fiddle when it comes to skeet shooting.  Oh, I can hit something larger than a clay disc, but we were only shooting skeet and not larger targets.

Now, with a handgun, you'd better run.  While he was speed shooting, I was as accurate as the guy who was there from the local sheriff's department!  On the silhouette, I was putting shot after shot in the same space for 8 rounds and then changed for a head shot.  This metal silhouette was much smaller  than what we used when I trained for my conceal/carry permit.  One of the guys told me I was scary after I shot!
Translation:  Chris went to a picnic where they ate food and shot guns at targets.  Chris did extremely well!
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2018 5:45 pm

Xid wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:

Translation:  Chris went to a picnic where they ate food and shot guns at targets.  Chris did extremely well!

Except with skeet!  Skeet are safe from me!   lol!

Skeet are small clay discs that are hurled into the air and then you try to shoot the moving Target with a shotgun.

Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2018 8:36 am

Finally getting to where I'm running a mile in less than 13 1/2 minutes.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2018 10:43 am

Xid wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:

With the eating or the shooting?
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2018 10:50 am

alldatndensum wrote:
So, not only do we have a lot of guns, even many of our church folk embrace having them.  They can be great stress relievers at a gun range.  They can be tools for hunting.  And, they can be great tools for SAVING lives by stopping threats.  Sure, people can die if you use a gun; but if you are using them correctly, then they are just a tool that people can use.  Never be afraid of a gun, but respect the weapon.  Be more afraid of the crazed lunatic who would kill you in a heartbeat whether they have a gun, knife, baseball bat, etc.

I'm personally not a gun person.  I can't stand them, and never could.  I wouldn't feel safer if I owned one and I don't feel safer knowing regular people around me have them.  That being said, I'm not "anti-gun".  As with so many things, these are my personal feelings and I don't think my feelings should be the basis of our laws.  If a person is responsible and legally permitted to carry, then I support their right to do so even if I wish they wouldn't.  My thoughts on guns are pretty much what alldat said up there--they are tools and like so many other tools can be used for good or evil.  I'm more concerned about people than I am guns.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 15, 2018 1:22 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
Xid wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:

With the eating or the shooting?

Take your pick!!!

Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2018 12:31 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Xid wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
Xid wrote:
Lyrics by:  Jenny Stokes, Derek Close and that guy from Seattle.

Fight  Not good enough!  My full legal name must be used and I demand my picture in the liner notes!!!

lol!
That Guy From Seattle III, Esq.
Random Ramblings - Page 8 9k=

You are the worst personal assistant EVER!
ROTFL
Even worse than Juanita???
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2018 1:28 pm

Getting ready to move offices again  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2018 1:41 pm

Nice!  You get a window?

Ugh interviewing is no fun.  I'm currently a contractor interviewing for a direct position for the same company.  Two of three (for the first round of) interviews are now done.  The next one's tomorrow.  I look forward to this process being over!
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 16, 2018 7:38 pm

I'm in interview season myself (over reading week, so I have to stay in town... grr...), but I don't have multiple interviews for the same job...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Random Ramblings   Random Ramblings - Page 8 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Random Ramblings
Page 8 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 24 ... 40  Next