For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow

Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 19109
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:41 am

I need your prayers tomorrow as I got to preach at First Baptist of Hermitage tomorrow.  It is also a small church.  They have lost their kids and teens.  However, they are located right in the heart of several apartment compounds and many, many streets of houses.  They are located in a place where the mission field literally surrounds them and need a pastor who can help them formulate plans to reach this community which is a suburb of Nashville.  Pray that I will deliver the message they (and I) need to hear.  If I am the man of God they need as pastor, pray that would be made known as well.

I am so excited!  After a great week of VBS, I get to go do this too!

I am not excited, though, about going to church camp next week.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Number of posts : 19047
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Sat Jul 14, 2018 11:37 am

Praying God will use you to deliver his message.
Also praying that this could be a good fit for you and the church.

Number of posts : 5813
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:10 pm

How'd it go? And what's got you worried about church camp?
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:10 pm

EVerything went well today.  They want me to return next Sunday.  If they like what they hear, then they will want to sit down and talk more about the possibility of becoming their pastor.

They have been without a pastor since February.  He left suddenly and said he was wanting to focus on other things.  Since then, he has been in secular work.  The church feels a little burned by this. 

Also, they were doing a lot of outreach to children in their neighborhood, but that all stopped when their pastor left as his family was doing most of the work.  When that stopped, the neighborhood kids stopped coming.

This church needs someone who can rebuild those kids and youth outreaches and have the same passion for children as their former pastor.

While the church is small, it is in a neighborhood full of houses and apartments.  The people there are poor but not destitute.  There is a lot of movement of people as most of the properties around are apartments and rental houses.  While the people there are somewhat transient, reaching them could be done if the church wants to roll up their sleeves and go to work.

We have a lot of praying to do!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

Number of posts : 1974
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:46 am

Sounds promising! How far of a drive is it for you? I assume it is pretty close meaning you wouldn't have to move and that's a good thing.

Driven: He's worried about camp because he has to walk around with his shirt off. I hate that too.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3028

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:07 am

alldatndensum wrote:
Also, they were doing a lot of outreach to children in their neighborhood, but that all stopped when their pastor left as his family was doing most of the work.

Frankly, that is a HUGE red flag. It shouldn't be the pastor (or his family) doing all the work. Either he totally failed to disciple the sheep under him or those sheep have no idea (or willingness to do) what they should be doing to further the Kingdom. They seriously didn't realize the importance of stepping up and continuing such a valuable program?!?!? Evil or Very Mad

We're wanting to start a kids program, but we run 10-15 most Sundays. It won't happen unless all the sheep buy-in and commit to reaching the kids, which is the main way the Body of Christ will prosper in the future.

alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:55 am

Quote :
Frankly, that is a HUGE red flag. It shouldn't be the pastor (or his family) doing all the work. Either he totally failed to disciple the sheep under him or those sheep have no idea (or willingness to do) what they should be doing to further the Kingdom. They seriously didn't realize the importance of stepping up and continuing such a valuable program?!?!?

In their defense, the pastor left in February.  So, a lot of their outreach was done on the streets around the neighborhood.  It would have been easy to cease doing much during winter months.  I would say that they have been more focused on finding a new pastor since.

The church is mostly older people.  Without leadership, some of those older people would succumb to the "I am too old to do anything" mentality.  I see that in my own church now.  The ones who still work but are in their 50s/early 60s would hide behind their jobs and having no time.  I see that in my own church as well.

Quote :
We're wanting to start a kids program, but we run 10-15 most Sundays. It won't happen unless all the sheep buy-in and commit to reaching the kids, which is the main way the Body of Christ will prosper in the future.

I believe that it CAN happen even if everyone is not on board.  Our God has the $$$ and the people.  He will send them if we cry out to Him.  I look at the Street Reach organization we recently served through in Memphis.  They do what they do and started with only around 13 people.  They didn't have the money to fix the holes in the roof and started doing day camps in their neighborhood.  They kept praying and God sent teams to help.  They then started a private Christian school for non-Christian kids and God has sent the money for tuition and to build the school.  He has sent teacher/missionaries to help.

So, I can see that it may take a lot of work to stir up these folks, but I believe that God has the resources to reach this neighborhood if they call me.  Truthfully, I think there will be "red flags" with almost any church that is seeking a pastor.  Why?  Because we are working with humans who all may not be as spiritually mature as they need to be.  If the church were perfect, they would probably have pastors in training beneath the senior pastor that left who could and would be perfect to replace him someday.

Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

Number of posts : 15080
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Tue Jul 17, 2018 2:23 pm

Sounds very promising.
Curious to hear how it goes.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:22 am

I return to First Baptist of Hermitage tomorrow morning for services.  If they like me, they have already stated that they would like to sit down and discuss further opportunities.  This could be it, folks!  I am excited, a tad nervous, but yet mostly at peace.  It is a weird place to be for me.  On the outside, I almost always appear calm and collected while being a raging worry-wart inside.  With this, I am only slightly nervous and that is only about the possibility of needing to leave my job at school.  It is only because I will miss my babies there that I have had for six years.  This wouldn't be the first time I have quit a job for ministry's sake.

Back to top Go down
Xid

Number of posts : 3676
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:48 am

Knock 'em dead!
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Driven

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:52 am

Sounds promising! Hopefully things look up.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:08 am

My second sermon went extremely well.  I felt like I gave them everything I could.  So, now we keep praying for direction and see what the church decides.  I do not want to get my hopes up too high as I have been at this level several times over the past two years with other churches just to find out I didn't make the cut.  It's all in the Lord's timing.

Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

Number of posts : 15080
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:30 am

I pray with you.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:54 am

So, I just wait to see how long it takes the church to decide if I am the one to lead them as pastor.  That is the hardest part--the not knowing.

Back to top Go down
messiaen77

Number of posts : 1855
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:12 pm

Yep the waiting is the hardest part.  Hey, that would make a good song...

Praying for God's leading in this brother.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:15 pm

messiaen77 wrote:

Was thinking the same thing.

Praying that this is where God want's you.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Tue Jul 24, 2018 8:50 pm

Staybrite wrote:
messiaen77 wrote:

Ya' know--I am thinking the same thing.  With all the other churches I have applied to, I wanted to be wanted.  But there is just something about this one that felt like both a challenge and like home at the same time.  I keep getting a bunch of election calls.  Everytime the phone rings, I keep hoping it would be someone from the church.  Of course, that would be silly as I gave the church my cell number.  The house number is only used for giving out when stores request a number or something of that nature.  We only get sales, survey, doctor's appointment reminders, and election calls on it.  But, deep down inside, I want this one because I know it is gonna stretch me.  The others I could have stepped into and could have done the job without much help from God.  This time, I would have to trust as I have no experience with revitalization of a church.  Every day would be a new hurdle, but I am willing to jump until He catches me.

Back to top Go down
Driven

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:24 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
messiaen77 wrote:

Ya' know--I am thinking the same thing.  With all the other churches I have applied to, I wanted to be wanted.  But there is just something about this one that felt like both a challenge and like home at the same time.  I keep getting a bunch of election calls.  Everytime the phone rings, I keep hoping it would be someone from the church.  Of course, that would be silly as I gave the church my cell number.  The house number is only used for giving out when stores request a number or something of that nature.  We only get sales, survey, doctor's appointment reminders, and election calls on it.  But, deep down inside, I want this one because I know it is gonna stretch me.  The others I could have stepped into and could have done the job without much help from God.  This time, I would have to trust as I have no experience with revitalization of a church.  Every day would be a new hurdle, but I am willing to jump until He catches me.

That's good. I really hope this one works out for you, then Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:52 pm

Things took another step today.  The church wants to schedule a Q&A time that would precede a vote.  At that point, the church would be calling me as their pastor.  This is both nerve-racking and exciting at the same time!

Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

Number of posts : 1974
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:45 am

Sounds promising! Keep us updated!
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Mon Jul 30, 2018 8:43 am

Wow, it's like getting called back for a third interview!

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:54 pm

Staybrite wrote:

With pastoral positions, there are MANY interviews.  They want me to come back this Sunday to preach again and do a Q&A time.  After that would be a vote.

The timing is a little weird as my current church is trying out a potential pastoral candidate as well.  With me on staff, I kind of need to be here to help keep things stable and clear headed.  But, my mind is going to be elsewhere if I don't do it.  This isn't an easy process for any position especially when you are in one job and another is probably wanting you.  I have a deacon's meeting tonight and will need to tell them what is going on.  I just don't want to hurt the relationship with this church in case the new one changes it's mind and direction.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:35 pm

alldatndensum wrote:

With pastoral positions, there are MANY interviews.  They want me to come back this Sunday to preach again and do a Q&A time.  After that would be a vote.

The timing is a little weird as my current church is trying out a potential pastoral candidate as well.  With me on staff, I kind of need to be here to help keep things stable and clear headed.  But, my mind is going to be elsewhere if I don't do it.  This isn't an easy process for any position especially when you are in one job and another is probably wanting you.  I have a deacon's meeting tonight and will need to tell them what is going on.  I just don't want to hurt the relationship with this church in case the new one changes it's mind and direction.

Well it isn't as if you didn't give your current church the opportunity to hire you on as the lead pastor.

I'm impressed with you staying on as the youth pastor for as long as you have.  In the local churches around here it seems like most of the youth pastors are relatively young guys just out of college (or seminary).  They tend to do the job for 5-10 years and then leave the church for a position of lead pastor somewhere else (or give it up altogether because the job is so demanding).

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:17 pm

Staybrite wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:

Well it isn't as if you didn't give your current church the opportunity to hire you on as the lead pastor.

I'm impressed with you staying on as the youth pastor for as long as you have.  In the local churches around here it seems like most of the youth pastors are relatively young guys just out of college (or seminary).  They tend to do the job for 5-10 years and then leave the church for a position of lead pastor somewhere else (or give it up altogether because the job is so demanding).

I have been at my current church for 9 years.  I was only 39 when I started there.  U have been doing youth ministry off and on for twenty years .

Back to top Go down
Samson

Number of posts : 648
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:49 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

I just don't want to hurt the relationship with this church in case the new one changes it's mind and direction.

Why would the relationship be hurt? We've had plenty of folks leave our church for legit (and not so legit) reasons. We miss them, sure, but we bless them as they bless others.
Back to top Go down
https://gabrielkinson.wordpress.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow   

Back to top Go down

Preaching at First Baptist Church in Hermitage, TN tomorrow
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next