For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Taking our cat to the vet today

Go down 
AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 19108
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Taking our cat to the vet today   Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:09 am

We have had our sweet Callie for 17 years this May.  She is showing signs of feline dementia.  While she gets around great for a cat of her age, she yowls for hours sometimes in the night and we aren't getting much sleep now.  So, we are going to the vet to see what, if anything can be done.  I am afraid that they will have to put her to sleep, and I am not ready to let her go.  But, if that happens, I will do what is in her best interests.  If treatment is available and it isn't too expensive, we will go that route.  We also have to keep in mind that, at her advanced age, we won't be keeping her alive for many years to come.  Using information from cat websites, we have determined that Callie is the equivalent of an 84 year old woman.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

Number of posts : 15080
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Taking our cat to the vet today   Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:34 am

I remember that you told me to have 2 kittens 17 years ago. Two sisters.
Ohhh , this is so hard.
It's hard when you have to go to the vet to have her to put to sleep.
Yep, I know it's hard to leave a beloved furry friend.

I wish you and your wife lots of strength when the vet Callie puts to sleep.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Number of posts : 3676
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Taking our cat to the vet today   Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:19 am

It is hard.  We had to put Maximus down after only having him for about 5 years.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Taking our cat to the vet today   Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:39 pm

We didn't have to put Callie down, thank the Lord.  We paid $186 to find out she is old and loud.  She does have some night time anxiety issues that could be the beginnings of dementia.  Her blood work will be back Monday and should tell us more about her overall health.  They gave us some anxiety meds to try and recommended some calming sprays and catnip at night.  We shall see if we get any sleep with this.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 19047
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Taking our cat to the vet today   Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:29 pm

I have to take my cat into the vet today (again).
Had him in earlier this week, he is having some kidney issues and was pooing enough (had to leave him there so they could dig out a substantial amount of poo).  Today we need to go in for another another xray.  At least it won't cost $550 like it was earlier this week....but we will need to put him on a prescription diet and stool softeners.....Pets can be nearly as costly as the kids!
Glad to hear Callie is just old, hope you can get some sleep.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Taking our cat to the vet today   Sat Mar 03, 2018 1:33 pm

So do we!  It has been a rough couple of weeks!  She wakes us up at least three times during the night and we are up for several minutes.  It is kind of like having a newborn baby in the house right now.

On top of the meds, we are also going to try sleeping in ear plugs.

Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

Number of posts : 1974
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Taking our cat to the vet today   Sun Mar 04, 2018 7:59 am

Wow. We had a tabby that lived to be 19. Then a Calico that lived to be 15. We have one cat now. He is 11.

On weekends we volunteer at the Humane Society (my daughter gets volunteer hours for school). Anyway, last week when we were there we saw a calico that was 12 years old. A "senior" cat. I thought "Hmmm. Wonder why she is here? She looks pretty healthy". I read her sheet and it said "allergic". My next thought was "it took them 12 years to figure out they were allergic to cats?!?".

Anyway we brought her home yesterday as a trial. Just to see how they get along. Her sheet says she does OK with other cats. Wasn't sure how our other cat would do. But he's harmless, he doesn't have claws and never goes outside. So we brought her home and put TK (our cat) in a bedroom with the door closed. We let her explore the house to get familiar with things. After about 30 min I got TK and put him behind a closed door with my daughter on the other side of the door with the new cat. She hissed thru the door. Eventually we let them meet and she hissed at him again. He acted like he just wanted to be friends. She wanted no part of him. We will see how it goes over the next few days. At 12 years old she really needs a home. She is very friendly and makes to effort no attack TK. Just looks at him and hisses. He keeps his distance. We put another litter box in the house away from TK's. Last night we kept TK on one side of the house (living room, kitchen, dining room) and kept her on our side with the bedrooms.

If all goes OK we will keep her and pay the fee for her. If not we have to return her on Tuesday. I really hope it works out. My daughters absolutely love her and want them to get along. Hopefully 3 days will be enough time.

Either way it was nice for her to be out of a "cage" and in a home if only for the weekend. but if she has to go back my kids are going to be greatly disappointed.

Her name is "Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough". But we have been calling her Cookie. Our last calico, like yours, was named Callie. I found her as a kitten with eyes closed in 1995. She died in 2010.

Here is her profile (not sure how long the link will be there):

https://adoptme.org/pets/chocolate-chip-cookie-dough-female-spayed-12-years/

Says she does OK with other cats so we were surprised that she hissed. She has claws and would maul our declawed cat but he is bigger than her. I think he weighs around 15 pounds and he is on a pretty strict diet so he isn't all fat. before we put him in a special diet he weighed 24 pounds.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Taking our cat to the vet today   Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:16 pm

Callie is by no means a calico.  She is a black and white tuxedo cat!

Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Taking our cat to the vet today   Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:05 am

alldatndensum wrote:
Callie is by no means a calico.  She is a black and white tuxedo cat!
Ha! Clever! That's pretty cool. So far no cat fights and all of us will be out of the house today. The strange thing is, Cookie hasn't eaten anything yet. Don't know why other than she had dry food at the shelter and we have canned food. I told my wife and kids that if she got hungry enough she would eat. I'm just concerned she hasn't eat yet but she doesn't look like she misses too many meals because she is heavy. Tomorrow I will tell the shelter we will keep her. Part of the $80 goes to the vet fees and they can check her out and make sure she is ok. Sure hope so, I hate that she won't eat. Yesterday she stayed under my daughter's bed all day and we couldn't get her out. After church last night I reached under the bed and pulled her out and brought her into the living room. She purred and enjoyed the attention but after a while went back under the bed. I told my kids it is a shock to her and she has to settle down. I told them to imagine they had no parents and then someone strange comes along and takes them home. They prob wouldn't want to eat either and would want to hide somewhere and be left alone.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Taking our cat to the vet today   Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:20 am

You are right. She will eat when it gets the best of her.  As far as connecting with you all, just keep talking softly and don't make any sudden movements towards her.  She will come around.

Adopting a kitten is so much easier as they will almost immediately take up with their new people.  As soon as they are weaned is the best time.  Callie came around to me quickly because I had to finish bottle feeding her as she was only 4 weeks old.  The people who had her were moving and needed the kittens gone ASAP, so we took two.  The sister, Tobie, only lived six years and died of a uterine infection that went septic and caused some bad blood clots.  We still have Callie.

We've started the new anti-anxiety meds.  We only had one episode of yowling last night at 4 AM.  We gave her some treats that have melatonin and tryptophene in them.  She settled down and slept for almost time for my alarm to go off.  That was nice!

Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Taking our cat to the vet today   Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:17 am

Glad Callie is doing better in the night.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Taking our cat to the vet today   Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:51 am

We ended up having to take Callie back to the vet tonight.  We had only given her a partial dose of her anxiety medication the first couple of nights.  We tried crushing it and putting on top of her treats/food.  That helped, but we needed to get her to the full dosage.

So, we bought this syringe thingie called a pill popper.  You put the pill in it, place in the back of her mouth, and shoot the pill down their throats.  We tried that tonight, and it worked!

Well, an hour later, Callie was messed up.  She was vomiting vehemently, was extremely disoriented, was unable to drink, and had lost the use of her back legs.  So we got out of bed to tend to her, and decided to take her to an emergency pet hospital. 

They recommended that we drop her dosage down to a quarter of the dose but stop it for a day or two.  They kept her for observation as she was still acting weird when we got there.  They are also doing an IV to keep her hydrated and to flush her system.  They think she will be fine.

We have to contact our regular vet tomorrow and see about getting her meds changed.  They can even make it into a paste that you can put on their ears and paws so that the cat will lick it off themselves.  I think we will go that route.

Last edited by alldatndensum on Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Taking our cat to the vet today   Wed Mar 07, 2018 8:12 am

Hope she does ok Alldat. I went to the shelter and signed the paper work and paid the fee on our new family member. She still wasn't acting right so I took her to the vet. When the kids left for school yesterday they said she was on my daughter's bed. When they got home she was in the same place and didn't move at all. Luckily the vet had an opening at 4:30 so we took her in. She was running a high fever. They gave her a shot to lower the fever, gave her a shot of antibiotic and gave her an IV to get her fluids up. The vet told us to keep her away from the other cat so he wouldn't get sick (luckily they haven't had any interaction at all) So that was another $137 of unplanned spending yesterday. But about an hour after we got home she came into the living room, jumped on the couch and hung out for a while before wandering around the house. At bedtime she followed us into our room and slept on our bed all night. Oh -- and she ate about 2 hours after we got home. She seems to feel much better.

Never heard of a paste but that sounds interesting. I'm not big on forcing pills into cats, they just don't like it. When the doc told me about the antibiotics he was talking about a pill. I asked about a shot and he said a shot would work better but it was $20 more. I said I didn't care, give her the shot.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Taking our cat to the vet today   Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:54 pm

We brought Callie home this afternoon.  She seems to be resting which is what she needs.   She is eating some and has been in her own litterbox.  She is still having some issues with her hind legs, but she is getting stronger.  It will take a few days for the anxiety medicine to be completely out of her system.

She isn't ready to completely trust us yet, either.  Even though I have pet her throughout the afternoon, i had to remove the tape they had on her leg from where they put in the IV.  She wasn't happy about that and has become a bit grumpy over it.  That's Callie!  LOL  If she isn't being pampered and spoiled, then she isn't happy!

Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Taking our cat to the vet today   Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:54 pm

I hope Callie will be a bit stronger every day.
It's no fun when you pet has health issues.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Taking our cat to the vet today   Fri Mar 09, 2018 6:45 am

I hope she improves as well. As for our new house guest she seems to be doing a bit better. Walking around more but still not eating enough at all. She just doesn't want to eat. But at least she is up and about. I put out new food last night and she only ate one piece of dry food and that was it.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

PostSubject: Re: Taking our cat to the vet today   Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:12 am

Took her back to the vert again this morning. She just didnt seem right and I hate that we may have adopted a sick cat. They gave her more fluids today and this time took a blood sample to be shipped off to a lab. That should tell us what is wrong and why she won't eat. He did a complete check up and felt around for lumps, looked at teeth, listened to heart and he can't find anything wrong. Still has a fever but he did not want to give her any meds for that at this time, just gave her an IV of fluids.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Taking our cat to the vet today   

Back to top Go down

Taking our cat to the vet today
Page 1 of 1