For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share
 

 Reading List 2018!

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9392
Age : 49
Localisation : Here
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Reading List 2018! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading List 2018!   Reading List 2018! - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 01, 2019 11:41 pm

Would it be embarrassing to admit that all I read in 2018 was multiple volumes of graphic novels as well as MAD Magazines ?  Embarassed Laughing
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 20533
Age : 50
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Reading List 2018! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading List 2018!   Reading List 2018! - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2019 7:53 am

Not at all!  If that's what you like to read, then that's all fine and dandy.  I know people who swear that they hate to read but are constantly reading car and hunting/fishing magazines.  They read, but they don't read books.  Is that wrong?  As long as you are enjoying it, reading is reading in my opinion.

_________________
Reading List 2018! - Page 4 Pbucket
I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 15484
Age : 90
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Reading List 2018! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading List 2018!   Reading List 2018! - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2019 1:54 pm

Told You So - Kristen Heitzmann
The Ocean Child - Tamara McInley
Love Story - Karen Kingsbury.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 20533
Age : 50
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Reading List 2018! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading List 2018!   Reading List 2018! - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2019 2:18 pm

rockerVu2 wrote:
Told You So - Kristen Heitzmann
The Ocean Child - Tamara McInley
Love Story - Karen Kingsbury.
You finished all of these before the year was over?  Cool!

I got lazy this year and let games on my phone eat up too much reading time.

_________________
Reading List 2018! - Page 4 Pbucket
I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 20317
Age : 51
Localisation : Seattle
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Reading List 2018! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading List 2018!   Reading List 2018! - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2019 3:37 pm

I used to at least read 4 to 6 physical books each year in addition to listening to 30+ audio books in my car (I commute 1-1/2 to 2 hours to work each day).  But I only read one physical book this year, and have been listening to tons of podcasts this year (so not listening to many books either).  I plan to read more physical (or digital) books this year.  I recently got the novel "The Commitments" from the library and just started it.

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 3846
Age : 49
Localisation : Pennsylvania
Registration date : 2013-09-17

Reading List 2018! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading List 2018!   Reading List 2018! - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 02, 2019 4:07 pm

I'm not a regular reader but due to certain circumstances this year, I actually read over a dozen books  Shocked
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9392
Age : 49
Localisation : Here
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Reading List 2018! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading List 2018!   Reading List 2018! - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2019 3:09 am

I actually love to read, but in recent years my mind has become "ADD" in that I cannot concentrate and focus on what I'm reading to save my life. It saddens me as I used to be very focused and loved to study Scripture in depth with multiple commentaries and such. Now I get to the end of a paragraph and realize I don't even recall what I just read as my mind is all over the place. I find that graphic novels hold my interest well... I suppose due to the visuals - I've always been a visual person. I can get an idea in my head across way better if I draw it out as a chart or some other visual. Guess that's just the way I am, not gonna lament over it anymore. 
I hear there are some very well made Bibles in graphic novel format, I may dig into one of those  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 20533
Age : 50
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Reading List 2018! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading List 2018!   Reading List 2018! - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2019 8:37 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
I actually love to read, but in recent years my mind has become "ADD" in that I cannot concentrate and focus on what I'm reading to save my life. It saddens me as I used to be very focused and loved to study Scripture in depth with multiple commentaries and such. Now I get to the end of a paragraph and realize I don't even recall what I just read as my mind is all over the place. I find that graphic novels hold my interest well... I suppose due to the visuals - I've always been a visual person. I can get an idea in my head across way better if I draw it out as a chart or some other visual. Guess that's just the way I am, not gonna lament over it anymore. 
I hear there are some very well made Bibles in graphic novel format, I may dig into one of those  Very Happy



I have seen the graphic novel Bibles.  I know of a cheaper Christian bookstore in Murfreesboro that carries those.  I can check on the price and see if they are cheaper than say Amazon or Christianbook.com.

Also, you want to split the cost of the new Apologetix CD, Jim?

As for the A.D.D., I have always struggled with not being able to focus and keep my mind on one thing--except for books and music.  I just don't do well with both at the same time.  I often freeze trying to say something that is literally on my tongue.  People would notice and ask me if I were okay or try to finish my sentence.  It aggravated me and made it worse!  I easily forget things that people say.  I lose things easily.  I would daydream a lot even when I was in a group and my wife started wondering if I had seizures.  I went to the doctor and asked about it.  I had to take a test, and they said that I had A.D.D. (which is under the A.D.H.D. umbrella).  I resisted taking the medicine, but it has helped.  I still forget and sometimes lose things, but I am so much better and can focus if I have something in my hand while someone is talking.  I still can't focus in a restaurant and especially if there are half a dozen TVs on.  I told my doctor that I don't wish to become one of those people who take ADHD meds and never blink, so we tried a lower dosage.  It worked for me.

As for reading, when I was still at the tire factory and when I was a substitute, it was not uncommon for me to read 25-30 books a year.  One year, I actually read 48 books!  That was one a week for an entire year!  Now, I am lucky to read 16-20.  I don't have the time at school as an aid to ever read.  When I am home, I tend to play games on my phone or scroll through Facebook.  I want to cut back on FB and reduce the amount of game time.  I'd prefer to read.

_________________
Reading List 2018! - Page 4 Pbucket
I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 15484
Age : 90
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Reading List 2018! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading List 2018!   Reading List 2018! - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2019 8:51 am

Yes, I'm not watching TV anymore or be on the computer in the evening.
I've figuered out the blue light of smart phones, TV's and the computer make me wide awake for ours.
I quit watching 3 hours before I go to bed and it helps. I sleep much better.
So plenty time to read books in the evening.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 20533
Age : 50
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Reading List 2018! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading List 2018!   Reading List 2018! - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2019 9:13 am

rockerVu2 wrote:
Yes, I'm not watching TV anymore or be on the computer in the evening.
I've figuered out the blue light of smart phones, TV's and the computer make me wide awake for ours.
I quit watching 3 hours before I go to bed and it helps. I sleep much better.
So plenty time to read books in the evening.



For many people, the glow of a TV screen, phone, or computer mess with their sleep.  The UV light stimulates the same part of the brain that the sun being up does.  You are wise to stop staring at screens if you can't sleep.

_________________
Reading List 2018! - Page 4 Pbucket
I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 20317
Age : 51
Localisation : Seattle
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Reading List 2018! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading List 2018!   Reading List 2018! - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2019 12:01 pm

rockerVu2 wrote:
Yes, I'm not watching TV anymore or be on the computer in the evening.
I've figuered out the blue light of smart phones, TV's and the computer make me wide awake for ours.
I quit watching 3 hours before I go to bed and it helps. I sleep much better.
So plenty time to read books in the evening.

I think that is what is happening to me.  I need to turn off the T.V. and phone (especially the phone) and pick up a book about 30 minutes before I want to go to bed.  Seems like I lay in bed for over an hour looking at my phone.

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 15484
Age : 90
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Reading List 2018! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading List 2018!   Reading List 2018! - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2019 2:06 pm

It helps me so much Gary not watching to screens anymore. That's why I'm reading so many books now.
I need 3 hours before I go to bed to stop watching screens.
Being wide awake all night is terrible.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 20317
Age : 51
Localisation : Seattle
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Reading List 2018! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading List 2018!   Reading List 2018! - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2019 4:57 pm

Thanks, I will try turning off my phone and TV about an hour before I want to go to bed, and start reading my library book.

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9392
Age : 49
Localisation : Here
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Reading List 2018! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading List 2018!   Reading List 2018! - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 03, 2019 11:36 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
I actually love to read, but in recent years my mind has become "ADD" in that I cannot concentrate and focus on what I'm reading to save my life. It saddens me as I used to be very focused and loved to study Scripture in depth with multiple commentaries and such. Now I get to the end of a paragraph and realize I don't even recall what I just read as my mind is all over the place. I find that graphic novels hold my interest well... I suppose due to the visuals - I've always been a visual person. I can get an idea in my head across way better if I draw it out as a chart or some other visual. Guess that's just the way I am, not gonna lament over it anymore. 
I hear there are some very well made Bibles in graphic novel format, I may dig into one of those  Very Happy



I have seen the graphic novel Bibles.  I know of a cheaper Christian bookstore in Murfreesboro that carries those.  I can check on the price and see if they are cheaper than say Amazon or Christianbook.com.

Also, you want to split the cost of the new Apologetix CD, Jim?

As for the A.D.D., I have always struggled with not being able to focus and keep my mind on one thing--except for books and music.  I just don't do well with both at the same time.  I often freeze trying to say something that is literally on my tongue.  People would notice and ask me if I were okay or try to finish my sentence.  It aggravated me and made it worse!  I easily forget things that people say.  I lose things easily.  I would daydream a lot even when I was in a group and my wife started wondering if I had seizures.  I went to the doctor and asked about it.  I had to take a test, and they said that I had A.D.D. (which is under the A.D.H.D. umbrella).  I resisted taking the medicine, but it has helped.  I still forget and sometimes lose things, but I am so much better and can focus if I have something in my hand while someone is talking.  I still can't focus in a restaurant and especially if there are half a dozen TVs on.  I told my doctor that I don't wish to become one of those people who take ADHD meds and never blink, so we tried a lower dosage.  It worked for me.

As for reading, when I was still at the tire factory and when I was a substitute, it was not uncommon for me to read 25-30 books a year.  One year, I actually read 48 books!  That was one a week for an entire year!  Now, I am lucky to read 16-20.  I don't have the time at school as an aid to ever read.  When I am home, I tend to play games on my phone or scroll through Facebook.  I want to cut back on FB and reduce the amount of game time.  I'd prefer to read.

There's actually a graphic novel Bible at our local Walmart. Not sure the quality or accuracy as it's wrapped in plastic. I need to research the different ones available for the best. 

Yes, I was thinking about the new Apologetix just the other day and your name came to mind  Very Happy. Let's do it !

I've got a lot of similarities to you. I've wondered my whole life if I had some ADD condition or something. It used to take me much longer than your average students to complete papers, tests, and other projects. My concentration levels have always been bad to real bad. The only time I was very focused was after I came to faith when I was 19. For about 6 years I studied and read Scripture, commentaries, religious studies and history books with great clarity. I believe that God over-rode my "condition" so that I could learn all about Him and His truth. Because of that, I have a great foundation that I'm truly thankful for. But in the mid 2000s my concentration on reading anything "deep" began to wane again. Being able to "get lost" in an art project also flew the coop.  I even have trouble staying focused on graphic novels at times. Also, simply writing this paragraph took me like 15 minutes... it's gotten pretty bad these days. I don't like being in social situations cuz of it. Speaking of "freezing" while needing to communicate, my nervousness at my hearing (that I "had in the bag") made all the facts seep out of my head and I sounded like an idiot before the judge. Thank God that He had it all planned out regardless of my performance.

So at this stage of my life, I'm just rolling with whatever comes my way. I'm done worrying about my social abilities or trying hard to please anyone anymore. With all my health problems, my goals are to just get through the current day.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6072
Age : 101
Localisation : Sherbrooke, QC
Registration date : 2011-03-26

Reading List 2018! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading List 2018!   Reading List 2018! - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 11, 2019 11:23 pm

I haven't done much reading in 2018. Mostly re-reading Ravi Zacharias books and studying studying studying. I did also read Indigenous Healing: Exploring Traditional Paths which is written from the point of view of a non-Christian, non-Indigenous, retired Crown prosecutor (I think like a DA). It's certainly eye-opening.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 20317
Age : 51
Localisation : Seattle
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Reading List 2018! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading List 2018!   Reading List 2018! - Page 4 I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 12, 2019 3:56 am

Driven wrote:
I haven't done much reading in 2018. Mostly re-reading Ravi Zacharias books and studying studying studying. I did also read Indigenous Healing: Exploring Traditional Paths which is written from the point of view of a non-Christian, non-Indigenous, retired Crown prosecutor (I think like a DA). It's certainly eye-opening.

I did almost zero non-academic reading when I was in college.  It's a season where you need to study, study, study.  Don't worry about it, things will change when you graduate, get a job, get married, start having kids....you won't be able to read recreationally then either! 
Laughing

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Reading List 2018! - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reading List 2018!   Reading List 2018! - Page 4 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down
 
Reading List 2018!
Back to top 
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: Warped Drive - General Discussion-
Jump to: