Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Nodes of Ranvier

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jen5

Jen5

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2017-08-01

Nodes of Ranvier Empty
PostSubject: Nodes of Ranvier   Nodes of Ranvier I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 29, 2017 5:32 am

Hey guys. I've been listening to old Nodes of Ranvier tonight (Gorgeous "Grave" playing now). Should be working but, hey, felt like chilling out instead. Being way down at the bottom of the world, I never had a chance to see these guys play live. Did anyone here manage to get to their reunion gig at Facedown earlier this year? I'm just wondering if anyone who was there heard any whispers of another reunion (or maybe a re-start of the band).
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

Nodes of Ranvier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nodes of Ranvier   Nodes of Ranvier I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 30, 2017 10:07 pm

So I take it that's a no??
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23418
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Nodes of Ranvier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nodes of Ranvier   Nodes of Ranvier I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 30, 2017 11:15 pm

I don't think I've even heard of the band.  If they were on Facedown records they probably aren't my cup of tea.
Also the weekends can be kind of slow around here sometimes.

Jen5

Nodes of Ranvier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nodes of Ranvier   Nodes of Ranvier I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 30, 2017 11:40 pm

Thanks SB. They're a Christian metal band out of South Dakota. They do a mix of heavy and light. I love their lighter stuff. Their heavier stuff is a mixed bag and probably not your cup of tea...more Kerrick's speed I think. If you're interested, check out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m88HwPfc30  (love this song)

and 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV2O-y5SRFs
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Nodes of Ranvier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nodes of Ranvier   Nodes of Ranvier I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 01, 2017 11:42 am

Jen5 wrote:
Thanks SB. They're a Christian metal band out of South Dakota. They do a mix of heavy and light. I love their lighter stuff. Their heavier stuff is a mixed bag and probably not your cup of tea...more Kerrick's speed I think. If you're interested, check out...

and 

Ok, I was expecting some stereotypical, cookie-cutter American metalcore band....but that first track was not at all typical of the type of music on Facedown or Solid State records.  If the rest of their music is like that I would be very interested in hearing more.  It was so moody and good.

The second track is just as good, and reminds me almost more of the moody 90's alternative scene than it does any modern hardcore/metalcore band.

Jen5

Nodes of Ranvier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nodes of Ranvier   Nodes of Ranvier I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 01, 2017 3:39 pm

Ah, but then you get songs from their playlist that sound more like Pantokrator so it's not all moody gorgeousness. Their m.o. is variety. Personally, I think some of their stuff is awful (kind of unbalanced in the recording and mixing) but so much of it is fabulous that I am a fan. Glad you liked them.

If you liked those samples, you might like Number Four (an instrumental):

I like the way it modulates at about 2:30.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Nodes of Ranvier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nodes of Ranvier   Nodes of Ranvier I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 12:29 am

I listened to several tracks from one of their albums and yes, it was a lot of metalcore stuff.  I don't know what it is but I just can't stand that style of vocals regardless of how good the music might be.  I would have to hunt out their "non-metalcore" sounding stuff.

Checking out the "Number Four" track now.

Jen5

Nodes of Ranvier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nodes of Ranvier   Nodes of Ranvier I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 3:12 am

And???
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Nodes of Ranvier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nodes of Ranvier   Nodes of Ranvier I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 02, 2017 3:04 pm

Jen5 wrote:
And???

It was really good, but I have to confess I'm not a huge fan of instrumental songs.  I can take the odd track here or there, but quite often I skip the instrumental tracks when listening to albums.

kerrick

Number of posts : 3504
Registration date : 2013-07-17

Nodes of Ranvier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nodes of Ranvier   Nodes of Ranvier I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 6:23 pm

Jen5 wrote:

and 

I've heard of them but have never checked 'em out due to the "metalcore" label.  While I'm a big fan of other extreme sub-genres of metal (like black and death metal), I could never get into much of anything -core.  But I listened to the first song and it's pretty decent!
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

Nodes of Ranvier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nodes of Ranvier   Nodes of Ranvier I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 7:23 pm

They're definitely a mixed bag. I love them for their variety and their willingness to push the boundaries of their genre. Yeah, sometimes the result is awful, but they often hit it square. They're not a cookie cutter band that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Nodes of Ranvier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nodes of Ranvier   Nodes of Ranvier I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 7:31 pm

^I can definitely appreciate that!  Some of my favorite bands are ones who don't stick to just one thing.

Speaking of, do you know Adorned Graves?  They just released their debut album and it'll definitely be in my top favorites list for 2017.  They mix thrash, doom, heavy, and death metal (along with some calmer, more atmospheric moments) very well.  Combine that with bold Christian lyrics and you have one heck of a great album.  Highly recommended!
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

Nodes of Ranvier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nodes of Ranvier   Nodes of Ranvier I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 05, 2017 7:32 pm

Thanks Kerrick. I've never heard of them, but I'm always keen to know new bands. I'll look them up for sure. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Nodes of Ranvier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nodes of Ranvier   Nodes of Ranvier I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2017 10:43 am

Here's the only full song I saw (from a super quick youtube search) which is from their EP and more thrashy than their full-length which is quite doomy.

Back to top Go down
Jen5

Jen5

Nodes of Ranvier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nodes of Ranvier   Nodes of Ranvier I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 06, 2017 3:27 pm

Thanks for sharing that, Kerrick. Mixed feelings on that one. Their playing is so full of energy -- love that. I heard a little Led Zep influence in there too which was a nice surprise. Their lyrics have a clear message -- so often in metal the message gets lost or watered down -- so I like that they're being true to their faith in a loud-proud sort of way. I didn't like the way the lyrics were put together though. It's like they're a group of great musicians who are just learning to write their own lyrics/melody but have more to learn there. Yeah, mixed feelings. I'm definitely going to watch where these guys go with it.

I found an EP overview on SoundCloud: https://soundcloud.com/musik-wormser/appetizer-the-hand-of-death-ep

Who is musik-wormser anyway?

I enjoyed exploring the snippets on their youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCm_Y9aFEDos8-HRvhd2IGhQ 

Amazing arrangements. Their musicianship is inspired. Thanks for that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Nodes of Ranvier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Nodes of Ranvier   Nodes of Ranvier I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Nodes of Ranvier
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: