For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

New Home

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
kerrick

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: New Home   Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:39 pm

Hi all, I would really appreciate your prayers for Veronika and I to find a good home.  Our previous place we rented ended up not being very ideal for a few reasons and then our current spot opened up in seemingly providential timing.  While it’s quite pretty and a good location, we’re losing a significant amount of sleep due to our extremely loud landlords (who live directly above us), not to mention I’m allergic to something in our apartment (I think mold from this past storm…), it has horrible air circulation, and our landlords have imposed some frustratingly restrictive regulations on firearm storage that render the concept of “home defense” quite useless.  I worry about Veronika every day I leave her there to go to work.  There are very sketchy people who wander the neighborhood and our apartment is extremely unfortified and would be easy to break into.  We have a 15-month lease and if we break it, would need to help find someone good/honest/trustworthy to replace us, but honestly we’d feel quite terrible recommending it to anyone (except maybe a deaf person with high immunity to allergens haha).
Our own health, safety, and sanity is one thing, but we’ll be looking to start a family in the next year or so and unless we absolutely have to due to some wild unforeseen circumstances, raising a kid here is just not an option.

Our hope is to purchase a home, but with our income, we cannot afford much more than a glorified outhouse in this area.  I believe Santa Cruz is the absolute worst in the entire nation in terms of income/expenses, second possibly only to San Francisco (which is only ~an hour and a half drive away).  We’re seriously considering picking up and leaving everything behind to move to another state.  My parents – and possibly sister – would most likely follow us which is pretty amazing in itself.  Economics are the primary motivating factor, though extreme liberal and anti-Christian politics and crowdedness/traffic factor into it too.

All this has been weighing heavily on both Veronika and I.  As husband and head of the household, I feel quite overwhelmed.  Thanks all!

p.s. Xid: Kalispell is actually looking pretty high on our list of possible locations to move...  I might bug you for your thoughts on it later.  Smile
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

Number of posts : 3330
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: New Home   Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:18 pm

Praying for you. Man, I remember those days....

Also, St Louis is pretty amazing. We have all four seasons, great local food (pork steaks, Imo's Pizza and of course Red Hot Riplets!) and of course, the best baseball team to play the game!
Back to top Go down
Xid

Number of posts : 3139
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: New Home   Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:22 pm

Will keep you in prayer.  I'd be happy to answer any of your questions that I can.
Back to top Go down
http://www.derekclose.com
BearDad

Number of posts : 2056
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: New Home   Tue Jun 20, 2017 4:25 pm

Can I suggest moving to SD? Smile
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 2926
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: New Home   Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:48 pm

I'd recommend finding a decent job first in whatever parts of the country you are considering.

I also wouldn't worry about purchasing a home until you are well settled in whatever area you move to and have saved up 20% down payment.

Will pray for wisdom and discernment.

alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 17985

PostSubject: Re: New Home   Tue Jun 20, 2017 10:06 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
I'd recommend finding a decent job first in whatever parts of the country you are considering.

I also wouldn't worry about purchasing a home until you are well settled in whatever area you move to and have saved up 20% down payment.

Will pray for wisdom and discernment.

Topshot has given the same advice that I would give.  Find your jobs and relocate to where the work is.

If you can't wait, then Nashville is the place to be!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Fundy

Number of posts : 3688
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: New Home   Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Praying here!

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18077
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: New Home   Wed Jun 21, 2017 3:11 pm

Praying all will work out for you, not a fun situation to be in.

PostSubject: Re: New Home   Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:41 pm

Thanks guys!  I really do appreciate it.  I feel a little beat-down by the whole situation.  The way I see it, as husband my role is to 1) love God, 2) love Veronika, 3) provide, and 4) protect.  Nobody's affecting how I accomplish the first two, but here in Santa Cruz I'm unable to provide a home for us and my landlords are preventing me from properly protecting my wife and it just boils my blood...  I hate it.  I'm going to talk to them on Saturday about the gun stuff.  Actually, my understanding of the law is that legally, they can't do what they're doing.  I believe CA law supersedes any lease agreement:

Quote :
Unless otherwise unlawful, any person over the age of 18 who is not prohibited
from possessing firearms may have a loaded or unloaded firearm at his or her
place of residence, temporary residence, campsite or on private property owned
or lawfully possessed by the person . Any person engaged in lawful business
(including nonprofit organizations) or any officer, employee or agent authorized
for lawful purposes connected with the business may have a loaded firearm
within the place of business if that person is over 18 years of age and not otherwise
prohibited from possessing firearms . (Pen . Code, §§ 25605, 26035 .)

Though obviously I don't want to get into legal stuff with them and have no intention of bringing this up with them.  I'd just like to have a mutual agreement that we're both content with.  They acknowledged the zero/low risk but "feel very strongly" about it.  Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad  This is California where laws and rules are made based off of feelings...  Sigh.

Anyways, thank you for the advice as well.  We looked at rental options in MT and they're very affordable.  Were we to move, we'd rent first, get a feel for the area, and then buy.  As for jobs, yes that'd definitely have to be the first thing to do.  Fortunately, I'm at a perfect time in my career to make a move.  I'm right in the middle of that great "5-10 year experience" that so many job postings have and I've accrued a ton of great experience at my current job.  So long as there is mechanical engineering jobs available in the area, I'm confident that I'd be able to find SOMETHING.  Also, I'm not opposed to the idea of a total career change to so if another opportunity arose that paid the bills, I'd certainly consider it.

Thanks again for your prayers!  Xid, I'll hit you up soon for info.  Smile
Back to top Go down
Xid

Number of posts : 3139
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: New Home   Thu Jun 22, 2017 4:57 pm

Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
http://www.derekclose.com
topshot rhit

PostSubject: Re: New Home   Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:49 pm

Just something off the wall to keep in the back of your mind is sometime in the next few years the economy will have another downturn and housing prices will likely drop. However, jobs will also get harder to come by or if you are the low seniority guy some place you'll be more likely to be the first laid off.

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 1721
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: New Home   Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:06 am

Florida or Tennessee -- NO state income tax! Both are great places to live but Florida is more expensive as a home owner. Not sure of the job situation but I know in the area I live in most are low paying jobs. East Tennessee was a beautiful place to live with 4 seasons and mountains (I know you like to hike). Jobs are decent there. Maybe someday I will move back to East Tennessee myself (my wife and I both grew up in Knoxville). And I do know that TVA is always looking for engineers. I remember growing up and a lot of my friends dads were engineers with TVA. Then after college some of those same friends got jobs there too.

Look around anywhere, you are young and will probably find something. A move across country is scary. I've moved 3 or 4 times in my adult life to different states and I won't move again hopefully until it is time to retire back to Tennessee.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

PostSubject: Re: New Home   Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:19 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
Just something off the wall to keep in the back of your mind is sometime in the next few years the economy will have another downturn and housing prices will likely drop. However, jobs will also get harder to come by or if you are the low seniority guy some place you'll be more likely to be the first laid off.

This is possible, though unlikely at this point.  Google and Apple are opening up new giant facilities relatively nearby which means housing is most certainly only going to go up.  With the Silicon Valley so close, we're fighting against the high-tech super rich folks who work there and live here.  For the housing prices to drop any, Google, Apple, Citrix, Netflix, and all those other big techy companies are going to have to fail first - which is why I say it's unlikely because it's those guys who are driving up the housing prices.  But if the Silicon Valley's economy plummets, the company I work for will also.  (We're contract engineering/manufacturing and most all of our business comes from the Silicon Valley.)  I'm actually fairly senior here now so I would probably be one of the last to be let go, which is a plus.

MikeInFla wrote:
Florida or Tennessee -- NO state income tax! Both are great places to live but Florida is more expensive as a home owner. Not sure of the job situation but I know in the area I live in most are low paying jobs. East Tennessee was a beautiful place to live with 4 seasons and mountains (I know you like to hike). Jobs are decent there. Maybe someday I will move back to East Tennessee myself (my wife and I both grew up in Knoxville). And I do know that TVA is always looking for engineers. I remember growing up and a lot of my friends dads were engineers with TVA. Then after college some of those same friends got jobs there too.

Look around anywhere, you are young and will probably find something. A move across country is scary. I've moved 3 or 4 times in my adult life to different states and I won't move again hopefully until it is time to retire back to Tennessee.

Thanks for the recommendations!  We're definitely trying to keep all options open at this point.  I've never been down that way.  I think the heat and humidity might kill me though.  I'm a cold-weather sorta fella, though the rest of my family likes it warm.

BTW I got things sorted out with the firearm situation.  I feel better now that we have a solution that everyone's content with.

Yesterday Veronika and I checked out a couple vacant houses on the street we live on.  The first would need a LOT of work, but has a newer little apartment thing on it in which we could live while we demolish/rebuild the main house - and then rent out once we're done building.  However, the second looked totally awesome.  We're going to try to track down whoever owns it and see if they're looking to sell.  *IF* we stay around here, it'll most likely be due to some miraculous/providential special "in" like that and not bidding on a regularly listed house.  Continued prayers always appreciated!
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

PostSubject: Re: New Home   Wed Jul 05, 2017 6:11 pm

kerrick wrote:
This is possible, though unlikely at this point.

I was meaning keep it in mind if you were to really move before the downturn.

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 14576
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: New Home   Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:52 am

Will pray for you Kerrick.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Number of posts : 5611
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: New Home   Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:59 pm

If you want to almost move to Canada, I live near Vermont. Probably not what you want to do, but you're welcome to settle in the area Very Happy

Of course, you'd have to find a job in your domain. You work in civil eng, correct?
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

Number of posts : 1523
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: New Home   Tue Jul 11, 2017 6:34 am

Praying my friend.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

PostSubject: Re: New Home   Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:44 am

Thank you for the continued prayers!

Driven, I'm a mechanical engineer though if I found something else that could pay the bills, I'd be open to a career change.  I like what I do fine enough though so there'd need to be a good reason for it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Home   

Back to top Go down

New Home
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1