For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Worship with flags

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Samson

Number of posts : 615
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Worship with flags   Fri Mar 17, 2017 8:49 am

If you're friends with me on facebook, you might have seen me share several videos of people performing worship with flags. For about 3 months, this has been a brand new passion in my heart. I do this regularly on Sunday mornings, and during other church sets.

Thought I would share this with you guys. I don't have the talent or skill (yet) to pull off what this guy is doing, but this video is so inspirational for me.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18071
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Worship with flags   Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:35 am

That's really cool!

Number of posts : 8866
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Worship with flags   Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:04 pm

It's like a choreographed dance
Back to top Go down
Samson

PostSubject: Re: Worship with flags   Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:15 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
It's like a choreographed dance

Some are choreographed, and some are spontaneous. I'm more of the latter.

Our church encourages worshiping "freely", meaning if you feel led to get on your knees, lay on your face, raise your hands, or move around with flags, then do it. There is an area in the rear of our sanctuary where several of us (including myself) do just that. No greater feeling than worship in the presence of our King, inside church or otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Samson

PostSubject: Re: Worship with flags   Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:05 pm

I have decided that I want to start saving money for my own set of flags to use. There is a set at church with several ribbons and streamers as well that a few of us use, but I want a set that I can take with me to worship by myself with no one else around. Whether it's an empty parking lot, a beach, a baseball field, whatever.

Here's another one I just found tonight, that really ministered to me. BTW if you like praise and worship music that ain't exactly metal, give these guys (Elevation Worship) a listen. I have both of their live albums, and they have become a major staple in my library.

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 17981
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Worship with flags   Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:21 am

To be honest, I don't quite understand the meaning of flag use or even interpretive dance at church.  I AM NOT saying it is wrong or doesn't have a place.  I just don't get it.  Perhaps it has a meaning, but I've never seen it done and thought that it made my experience at a church better.  I find it distracting personally.

However, with that said, if you find joy in it,  find it heightens your worship experience, and find that your church is open to it, then by all means do it.

At least your church is willing to use a song written after the 1800s unlike mine.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Xid

Number of posts : 3137
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Worship with flags   Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:54 am

I don't get flags or dance either, but that doesn't mean one can't use those things in worship.
Back to top Go down
http://www.derekclose.com
messiaen77

Number of posts : 1520
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Worship with flags   Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:57 pm

I think it is just like any other art in church, which means as long as it doesn't become the focus (meaning distracts from the killer guitar solos), I've got no problem with it at all.
Back to top Go down
Samson

PostSubject: Re: Worship with flags   Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:31 pm

Whether it becomes the focus or not doesn't matter to me. During worship, I don't look around to see who may or may not be watching me. When I'm worshiping, I'm in my 'zone'. Obviously, I do keep an awareness of my surroundings, because people come and go through the foyer, but I try to imagine myself in the throne room when I flag.

I understand that it's not everybody's bag of worship, and that's cool. I never thought it would be something that I would pick up and do.

Oh, and if I ever find a good worship song with killer guitar solos that I can flag to, you guy will be the first to know. That would be an awesome experience. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Worship with flags   Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:05 pm

Samson wrote:
Whether it becomes the focus or not doesn't matter to me. During worship, I don't look around to see who may or may not be watching me. When I'm worshiping, I'm in my 'zone'. Obviously, I do keep an awareness of my surroundings, because people come and go through the foyer, but I try to imagine myself in the throne room when I flag.

I understand that it's not everybody's bag of worship, and that's cool. I never thought it would be something that I would pick up and do.

Oh, and if I ever find a good worship song with killer guitar solos that I can flag to, you guy will be the first to know. That would be an awesome experience. Very Happy

Try some of Lincoln Brewster's albums.  Several of them have some rippin' solos.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
Samson

PostSubject: Re: Worship with flags   Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:48 pm

Really? Only song I know from his catalog is Oxygen.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Worship with flags   Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:43 pm

His new stuff is just mild CCM typical fare.  I guess his record company is more concerned with making him sound like everyone else.  Lincoln used to have his own sound.  He wasn't hard rock, but he did like to bust off on some solos.

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Worship with flags   Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:45 pm

Back to top Go down
Samson

PostSubject: Worship with flags part 2   Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:09 pm

Mod note: This post and several below were split off from another topic and merged into this one.

Come to Arkansas. Visit my church, unless you're intimidated by a fat guy dancing with flags.
Back to top Go down
Jen5

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2017-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Worship with flags   Sun Aug 27, 2017 3:22 pm

Samson wrote:
Come to Arkansas. Visit my church, unless you're intimidated by a fat guy dancing with flag
Oh come on!!! You can't just drop in that image and then leave us hanging. Sheesh!    Rolling Eyes
Dancing man with a flag????
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Worship with flags   Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:01 pm

Samson wrote:
Come to Arkansas. Visit my church, unless you're intimidated by a fat guy dancing with flags.

I think I would find that fairly odd.  When I went to the AoG church several years ago, we had a lady that did "interpretive dance".  I am not going to say that God doesn't use that.  I just know that I had no idea what she was trying to communicate with it.  I've seen a couple of flag groups, too, and I just don't get what they are trying to do with it.  I'd seriously feel uncomfortable just because I don't understand.

On a brighter note, I spoke again today at the little country church in Alexandria today.  I also had a pulpit committee from another congregation there to hear me and have lunch with us.  I feel like we've probably ended our run in Alexandria which is fine.  However, the new group does sound promising despite the church being small and requiring me to move.  I definitely want to see what God has in store.

Back to top Go down
Samson

PostSubject: Re: Worship with flags   Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:26 pm

Trust me, I didn't understand it either when one of my friends began utilizing it. The first time I went to one of the prayer rooms she talked about, the Baptist in me was telling me to get out of there and run. I'm glad I didn't.

Regardless, I hope and pray you find what you're looking for.
Back to top Go down
Samson

PostSubject: Re: Worship with flags   Sun Aug 27, 2017 4:35 pm

Jen5 wrote:
Samson wrote:
Come to Arkansas. Visit my church, unless you're intimidated by a fat guy dancing with flag
Oh come on!!! You can't just drop in that image and then leave us hanging. Sheesh!    Rolling Eyes
Dancing man with a flag????

Not me, but here's a couple youtube channels to check out. (UPDATE-Sorry, just realized that this isn't the random rambling thread. Didn't mean to hijack your thread, Chris)

AJ Salazar

Manuel Gutierrez

and the company I got my flags from

Called to Flag

Figured I'd share my gifts.

And a couple of my personal favorites:

Back to top Go down
Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Worship with flags   Sun Aug 27, 2017 6:43 pm

That's fascinating, Samson. Never heard of flagging (except used as "flagging energy" which is weirdly the opposite of what you've posted here). I tend to worship with my eyes closed to avoid distractions so this wouldn't work for me. In fact, I'd probably find the congregation's vocal responses to the wonderful spectacle of the dancer to be distracting. It is certainly beautiful though. Mesmerizing even.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Worship with flags   Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:27 pm

Even after the videos, I still just don't get it.  I think I am Baptist for a good reason.  LOL

Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

Number of posts : 14571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Worship with flags   Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:14 am

You are not the only one who doesn't understand it.
In our church there are women who flag too.
Back to top Go down
Jen5

PostSubject: Re: Worship with flags   Tue Aug 29, 2017 5:46 pm

They're so beautiful though. Strangely soothing. Maybe that's what they're about...about bringing a sense of peace. Is that it?
Back to top Go down
Samson

PostSubject: Re: Worship with flags   Tue Aug 29, 2017 6:16 pm

Can be, but it's not the only thing. I refer to my flags as my weapons of warfare. When I'm in church early before Sunday School, I'm upstairs in the youth room by myself in prayer, and I always have them with me. There's nothing choreographed when I'm doing movements. It's all spontaneous. Same during morning worship. Thankfully, church has a good chunk of section behind everybody where I can flag.

So, yeah. Whether I'm calm and serene in a prayer room, or involved in intense spiritual warfare, or just worshiping. Depends on the circumstances. Again, for me, it's rather spontaneous.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Worship with flags   Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:07 pm

I still don't get it.  If you are doing it BEHIND all the people, I don't see how that is adding to the worship experience of everyone else. 

Perhaps we should leave this part of the topic alone as I don't think I have the ability to get it.  Maybe I am just too thick-headed to understand.  It isn't the first time!

Back to top Go down
kerrick

Number of posts : 2317
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Worship with flags   Wed Aug 30, 2017 6:46 pm

I thought there was a specific thread about flagging already?  I know it's been discussed here before.

Worship is an interesting topic and something I'm still yet to fully grasp.  One thing I will say though, is it seems to me that so much "worship" today is all feelings-based: about the spiritual/emotional "high" people receive, and ultimately is more about self than our awesome Savior.  I haven't researched flagging much and like anything, I suppose it could be used for selfish or pure ambitions.

Anyways, Chris, how are you feeling about the possibility of moving?  Veronika and I have been going round and round about the possibility of moving as well and it's an intimidating and rather overwhelming consideration.  Have you been able to get a good feeling for the congregation(s) you may be pastoring?  Something I really appreciate about the local church body to which I belong is that everyone is just so passionate about genuinely learning about and living out the Gospel.  I've been to churches where how entertaining and "encouraging" the pastor is seems more important than the actual substance of the preaching.  I believe many modern churches are that way - much like with the "worship" I described above - and it's just not sustainable in the long-run, let alone very glorifying to God.  For what it's worth, I'd encourage you to seek a church body who yearns for God's Truth to be faithfully preached and seek to fulfill that role.  Really getting to know the congregation first may help narrow down your search.  Do the prospective churches have past sermons available online?  That could be a good indication of what the hopes and expectations are.  Some food for thought anyways!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worship with flags   

Back to top Go down

Worship with flags
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next