Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016

Go down 
+9
kerrick
GS52BRO
mudpuppy
BearDad
Staybrite
Through The Dark Radio
Xid
alldatndensum
Dynamis
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dynamis

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016 - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016   Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2017 9:49 pm

Quote :
I noticed in your review of their latest CD you seem to indicate you are not too crazy about the common trend of D&D and fantasy-based lyrics that many European power metal bands tend to follow. Despite that, have you ever checked out Seven Kingdoms? No, they're not Christian either, but they are a favorite of mine.

I just wish European power metal bands would be more original from a lyrical standpoint.  Instead of having a random D&D or fantasy based song, why not base an entire album on the subject (around the same story line).

Or focus on other topics.  For example, one of my favorite songs from the first Zephaniah album draws its lyrics from a Civil War battle (cannot remember which one).  An album from Thy Majesty, a band from Italy, entirely revolves around the Battle of Hastings (from 1066).  Now that is being creative.

It is my understanding that Zephaniah is not a Christian band but does have several believing members.  Thanks for the heads up about Seven Kingdoms- I have heard a lot of good things about them.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016   Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 23, 2017 11:55 pm

Dynamis wrote:
Quote :
I noticed in your review of their latest CD you seem to indicate you are not too crazy about the common trend of D&D and fantasy-based lyrics that many European power metal bands tend to follow. Despite that, have you ever checked out Seven Kingdoms? No, they're not Christian either, but they are a favorite of mine.

I just wish European power metal bands would be more original from a lyrical standpoint.  Instead of having a random D&D or fantasy based song, why not base an entire album on the subject (around the same story line).

Or focus on other topics.  For example, one of my favorite songs from the first Zephaniah album draws its lyrics from a Civil War battle (cannot remember which one).  An album from Thy Majesty, a band from Italy, entirely revolves around the Battle of Hastings (from 1066).  Now that is being creative.

It is my understanding that Zephaniah is not a Christian band but does have several believing members.  Thanks for the heads up about Seven Kingdoms- I have heard a lot of good things about them.

If you like complete concepts for lyrical content, you really might like Seven Kingdoms; even their name is from George R R Martin's novel "A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms". Although I like fantasy novels I have never read any of his, but from what I understand many of their songs are based off of his stories. Still kind of random, but at least with a general method to the madness. Smile

I hear what your saying though, and agree to some degree. It would be nice if bands expanded their lyrical content some. At the same time, though, I'd rather hear songs about random fantasy or dark ages topics than the "sex drugs and rock and roll" content from the 80's again. Or, for that matter, the Scandinavian bands' fascination with Norse mythology; it's understandable, but too close to worship for my taste.

Have you ever listened to Sabaton? According to Wikipedia their main lyrical content is historical wars and battles. I only have their Primo Victoria CD, but it holds true to that statement. Check out their discography list on the wikipedia site about them; each album breakdown lists the theme for each song. For the most part they are a lot of fun to listen to.
Back to top Go down
Dynamis

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016   Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2017 7:19 am

Yes, Sabaton is another band I have been meaning to check out. I believe Tommy ReiXeed is the groups new guitarist.  Also the new Firewind album, Immortals, bases its prose around the legendary battles of Thermopylae and Salamis during the second Persian invasion of Greece in 480 BC.
Back to top Go down
GS52BRO

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2017-02-21

PostSubject: Thanks   Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 24, 2017 6:14 pm

Thanks for the welcome.  Used to be here years ago under elsid - got rid of the email and forgot my sign-on.  So, figured easiest way was just to sign up again.  Kids have taken most of my time, so haven't been in to much music for the last few years (sad, I know).

I love Wovenhand.  Seen them a few times.  Very different - and their new stuff (last couple of albums) is heavier.  They are more of a heavy, Gothic/American Indian based Americana. DEE's first band 16 Horsepower was different - all the way around - basically a Gothic Country with lots of Traditional Country thrown in.  Still one of the best covers of Dylan's "Nobody 'Cept You"
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16567
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016   Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2017 9:24 am

Glad you are back now.
Back to top Go down
Dynamis

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016   Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 25, 2017 10:17 am

Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016 - Page 2 Albums10

I just completed work on the final version to the article.  Here is the link: http://www.angelicwarlord.com/articles/albumoftheyear16.html
Back to top Go down
mr.electric40

mr.electric40

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016   Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2017 12:58 am

Cool list Dude!!!

the Oblivion Myth album is a MONSTER!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23421
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016   Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 26, 2017 10:29 am

GS52BRO wrote:
Thanks for the welcome.  Used to be here years ago under elsid - got rid of the email and forgot my sign-on.  So, figured easiest way was just to sign up again.  Kids have taken most of my time, so haven't been in to much music for the last few years (sad, I know).

Oh yes, kids will certainly do that. Laughing
It's very cool to have you back!

Number of posts : 44
Registration date : 2015-12-06

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016   Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2017 9:51 am

Awesome! Thanks for putting the list together!  Lots of bands I havent heard of and I want to check out.
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5324
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016   Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Feb 27, 2017 4:04 pm

Not sure why I haven't heard of Oblivion Myth before.  But that is one to put on my 'wants' list for sure!

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
mr.electric40

mr.electric40

Number of posts : 678
Registration date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016   Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016 - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 03, 2017 12:56 am

Spinning Oblivion Myth right now... Man this album SMOKES!!!  A Great HEAVY METAL album!!!... production ... vocals... the lyrics are somewhat allegorical but scriptures are referenced when necessary... not cliche'd... awesome stuff!!!

Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016   Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016 - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Angelic Warlord Top 25 From 2016
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2