Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Weight Loss - for reals

Go down 
+12
Jen5
rockerVu2
topshot rhit
Xid
MikeInFla
Fundy
deathisgain
Driven
Staybrite
alldatndensum
kerrick
ishmael81
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Weight Loss - for reals Empty
PostSubject: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2017 4:29 pm

So I know over the years there have been weight loss discussions and they seem to fade off (usually about Thanksgiving...).

But seriously you guys... I'm 36, weigh right at 400 pounds... I'm gonna die from a heart attack before I'm 40 if I don't watch it.

So, I'm going to try my very best to post here at least weekly (but let's face it, I'm here everyday - it'll be more often) and talk about my struggles and successes, my temptations, what I'm doing to change things, the whole shebang. Who knows - I may take a picture this weekend and post it to track my progress.

So, who's with me?
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3493
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 10, 2017 4:44 pm

Right on man!  Let us know how we can be praying for you during this time and also if there are ways we can help keep you accountable and such.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23441
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2017 8:35 am

Well, be praying for me.  I am always one of the first to jump in but never seem to have the follow-through with what I envision.  I had lost from 325 down to 259 but am back up to 300.  Lately, I just don't care.  When I do overeat, which is daily, I just get beaten up by guilt.  When I pray about it just for help to say no, I feel like God doesn't care and isn't listening.  I don't want to wake up skinny as that isn't going to happen.  I KNOW it will take real work.  I just don't feel like starting again when I KNOW from experience that I will fail.  It is a horrible place to be, but I just wanted to be real about it.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2017 12:42 pm

I'm in a similar situation.  I might seem a bit lighter at 240 lbs, yet I am only 5'-5" tall (so a BMI of 40).  I keep telling myself I am going to eat better (or at least eat less) but can only seem to keep it up for a meal or two.
I've been over weight for almost 20 years now, and it mostly seems like a forgone conclusion that I will never be a reasonable weight again.

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2017 12:55 pm

I myself feel heavier than I should. Last year, the weight I'd gained was muscle, as I was working physically, but now that I'm in university, I'm finding myself feeling heavier. It started around the holidays, with loads of cookies and chocolates at arm's length. I try to buy relatively healthy food, but it's the quantity I struggle with. I need self-control and exercise, in that order.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2017 5:29 pm

I just need the self-control part.  My chiropractor also does health and nutrition counseling that I can't afford.  My insurance won't cover it.  However, he does say that the key to losing weight is in the kitchen--not in exercise.  Most of us working, unless we sit in an office, move around enough to burn off unnecessary calories that were stored according to my doctor.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
deathisgain

deathisgain

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2014-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 11, 2017 7:55 pm

The big thing that changed it for me, is going to the doctor and getting diagnosed with type 2 Diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I HAD to quit. Once I did, it became easier. I can even taste when something is heavy with salt now. Do I enjoy it? Not always. One thing nice, is my doctor tells me that you have to enjoy life as well. So a bacon cheeseburger every three months or so is not a bad thing. It's all about moderation and exercise.

If you are truly serious, I would go to a doctor and get a physical and work with them on it. I've been eating right and exercising for a year and a half, and was barely losing any weight and always tired. My sugar levels were great. So I went to another doctor and found out that my testosterone levels were way down as well as my Thyroid levels being low. Once I got on meds, I lost 10 pounds in six months and have more energy.
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5307
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 12, 2017 3:41 am

I'm with you Ishmael.  I'll pray for you as you go through all this.

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3111
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2017 7:01 am

I recently had an Angioscreen done. I wasn't sure what it was but they did it at work and it sounded like something I should do. The use Ultrasound to look at your arteries. First was on the neck, and everything looked good. Then in the stomach area that also looked good. Then they did on my legs near my ankles. Looked OK but need to work on that, there was some plaque there. They said to lose weight and that would help tremendously. I hit the eliptical at least 3 days a week so I will need to "up" it a bit. The problem is no time... I'm lucky if I get to use it 3 days a week. Last week I didn't use it at all because I was out of town on business. They also said I was overweight but not "obese". They gave me a print out and said next time I have a physical to show it to a doctor. 

My biggest prob is food. I can easily go 3 miles on the eliptical but it isn't enough. Last time I checked I weight about 215 and I need to be about 180. Last summer I got down to around 195 which was pretty good. So I will have to exercise more and try to eat better.

Prices may vary, we had to pay $35 if 100 people signed up to do it and I feel it was worth the $35 bucks.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2017 9:41 am

Thanks for sharing everybody.

I think one of the best things for something like this is the support of close relationships. I had plans to start a 3 on 3 basketball game once a month after I lost some weight. I even have all the guys who would want to play - but now I feel like I need to lose some weight to start.

But my wife and one of the guys (who I'm pretty close to) suggested I go ahead and schedule one in like March, so just to go ahead and do it.

So this week I'm going to look at March and plan something.

Second topic -

Food is an issue for me. I eat relatively healthy quite a bit but I also eat quite a bit, quite a bit. A buddy of mine (who actually weighs my goal weight but is 3 inches shorter and wants to lose some weight) eats whatever he wants but he strictly limits himself and makes sure he has vegetables and stuff. So he may want pizza, but he'll only eat 2 pieces, then have some carrots or green beans or something whereas I'll have 5 or 6 pieces...
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5505
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2017 10:51 am

Food consumption reduction is very difficult.  I started cutting back very slowly.  Instead of 4 Jr. Cheeseburgers, I got 3.  Then 2.  2 is now sufficient.  Pizza is a killer.  I'd eat 5 pieces of Costco pizza, which are quite large. I'm now down to 2 which is sufficient.  I also tell myself when I want more to eat that if I get hungry later, I can have a snack.

What you see before you is certainly not the epitome of perfection in healthy eating, but I've lost 50 pounds over 5 years.  And I'm keeping it off without trying.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 14, 2017 11:54 am

That's the idea Xid.

I quit drinking cream and sugar in my coffee a few months ago and lost about 10 pounds pretty quickly with that small change. Now I've gotten used to black coffee.

I haven't had a beer since December 31 (when I had 3 What a Face ) and I've lost some from that. It's shocking how many calories just one bottle has...

Next I'm giving up sugar in other things and trying to limit bread, pasta and rice. We'll see how it goes.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2017 6:21 pm

I am officially under 300 pounds.  Have maintained under 300 for a month now.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2017 7:36 pm

Way to go Xid! 

I am officially under 390 and have been for two weeks.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2017 8:35 pm

Excellent!  I've always put what I've lost back on so to able to lose a few pounds and keep it off is pretty big accomplishment for me.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2017 9:11 pm

I had lost 59 lbs a few years back and kept it off for a couple of years but am back up to where I started.  I NEED to lose weight for myself and to help my wife control her diabetes.  Please pray that the Lord will convict me of my sin and won't leave me alone about it.  I need REAL change and not just another failed diet plan.

Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 18, 2017 9:36 pm

Diet plans fail for most of us.  I decided to try changing the way I do things.  It's been tough and has taken several years to start keeping weight off.  Still have lots to lose.  I stay away from "diet" foods like soda and low fat crap.  I use real sugar in my coffee and switched from artificial creamers to half and half.  My wife and I try to eat healthy, whole foods.  That doesn't mean living off of salad.  I eat mostly low carb foods.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 19, 2017 6:37 am

Low carb was how I lost all my weight a couple of years ago.  I just gave up and started eating whatever I wanted and how much I wanted whenever I wanted.

Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 19, 2017 8:42 am

Xid, I'm doing something similar. It's basically Paleo and Keto put together. Lots of vegetables, lean meats, eggs (lots of eggs - probably my favorite food), low sugar dairy (cheese, whole milk) and minimal nuts and seeds (no peanuts or cashews cause they're actually legumes).

When I started I was at about 410 pounds. I'm down now to 385 and plan to keep losing.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 19, 2017 9:08 am

Very cool!
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 19, 2017 4:59 pm

While my lunch was a bit too big, I only had an Atkin's bar for breakfast and have had no snacks.  I've drank one Sprite Zero and a couple of bottles of water.  I am trying to get started again.  It will be easier if we are all in this together.

Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 19, 2017 5:13 pm

Pickles are a good snack.  That is if you like pickles.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 19, 2017 6:52 pm

I like sunflower seeds, if you're doing low carb. They have protein, a little fat and no carbs.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3869

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 19, 2017 9:53 pm

I always felt nuts and seeds had too many fat calories. Fine for when I backpack and need lots of calories but not when I snack at my desk. I have switched to jerky but also eat fruit which has a fair number of calories but figure the other nutrients make it worth it.

I guess I'm a toothpick compared to some of you but it baffles me why I can't lose the 15 more pounds I want to. Evil or Very Mad I realize I have put on some muscle (been doing a pushup challenge at work), but it isn't that much and it shouldn't be around my waist. scratch

Part of my downfall is Mountain Dew since I have always programmed better when drinking it. Razz I only drink 1-2 cans/weekday but plan to wean off of that this summer.

Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 20, 2017 10:10 am

I used to drink lots of Mountain Dew.  Now I only have a couple a month.  Every once in a while I'll have 1 a day for a few days.  For the most part I drink water and coffee.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Weight Loss - for reals   Weight Loss - for reals I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Weight Loss - for reals
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next