For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

The Biblical View of Music

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
CJ

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2014-06-03

PostSubject: The Biblical View of Music   Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:32 pm

I would like to post the following essay to encourage all of us who love Christian rock, and have had to deal with other Christians who think our music is satanic, demonic, or worldly, or whatever.

You may not like the Calvinistic references in this essay, but it is the only serious attempt to judge music, that I have ever come across, from a biblical standpoint that doesn't get bogged down in absurd irrationalism and unwarranted assertions. For example, the author successfully refutes Bill Gothard's method of judging music, which alone makes the essay worth reading. I think Gothard's method is horrible.

So here it is:

http://chalcedon.edu/faith-for-all-of-life/the-significance-and-subversiveness-of-the-arts/the-biblical-view-of-music/
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Number of posts : 2034
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: The Biblical View of Music   Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:28 pm

Sorry, I don't have to read it to draw my own conclusions. For me it's quite simple:

"Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands. Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence with singing." Psalm 100:1 & 2

Some may sing loud, some may sing soft, still others may shout (in some translations the first verse actually says "Shout for joy to the Lord."), and some may even growl. Some may use instrumentation, and some may sing acapella. Anyone that wants to call what we refer to as Christian rock evil or even satanic because of the beat, volume, etc., can kiss my ... er, pumpkin. Smile  There is NOTHING on this earth or beyond that God cannot use for His glory. The only thing that makes music evil is the purpose it is used for, which is often dictated by the words being sung.

Sorry, I know your offering the essay for our benefit, and perhaps I will read it, but I've been in so many "it can't be Christian" discussions that anymore my statement above is pretty much what I fall back on. Wink
Back to top Go down
CJ

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2014-06-03

PostSubject: Re: The Biblical View of Music   Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:49 pm

Well, I think we've all been through the nonsense in one way or another, and we all have to deal with it in the way that suits us best, or in the way that is the most Christ-like, I would say. I have little patience for absurdity, so I have a hard time with the Christ-like part. I don't want to be angry, or answer in an unkind way, but it's hard to answer a brother who is determined to be stupid.

My method is sola scriptura. If a Christian can't show me in Scripture where I'm wrong, then he's wasting my time. And pointing to verses that speak against worldliness is a question-begging argument: it assumes as a premise the point it wishes to prove. I agree we should not be worldly, but for X-Sinner to sound like AC/DC does not make them worldly. A sound cannot be worldly. A style of music cannot be worldly, unless it fails to meet the standards of beauty that the author deduces from Phil. 4:8. But I've never heard rock critics try to make that argument. Or if they do, they paint all rock with the same brush, which is irrational.

On the other hand, I disagree with arguments on the Christian rock side which point to souls saved or lives changed by the influence of the music, like the long line of teens who stay for prayer at a Petra concert. I'm not a pragmatist or an empiricist, so I don't respect results as proof of the value of the music. That is a fallacious argument called 'asserting the consequent.' I look at the music itself, and I think Calvin Jones has nailed it in his essay.

By his standard, a classical piece could fail, while the composer of a Dream Theater track is an artistic genius. So it's not about rock or not-rock.

I would agree that there is worldliness in Christian rock - in some of the attire worn onstage, or in a flippant attitude of the band member. But that has nothing to do with the music. I don't listen to the man's T-shirt, and a worldly attitude does not affect all the band's songs. It's all irrelevant.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

Number of posts : 1408
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: The Biblical View of Music   Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:13 pm

I agree with the methodology of applying Philippians 4:8, the essay overall shows the issue with using this as an objective standard:  no everyone agrees on what constitutes truth, nobility, beauty, etc.  So while it is a good way to start the process, we have to realize there is still a lot of subjectivity and therefore, we still need to give a lot of latitude to our brothers and sisters as far as what they listen to.

Side note--I agree with you regarding the altar call responses at Christian concerts.  More often than not, I believe, they are the result of an emotionally-charged environment rather than the leading of the Spirit.  They have also been traditionally handled very poorly in that people come up to pray, but there is often little done by way of follow up and getting those respondents plugged into a local body for discipleship.
Back to top Go down
Candlemass

Number of posts : 258
Registration date : 2013-08-03

PostSubject: Re: The Biblical View of Music   Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:24 pm

CJ wrote:

You may not like the Calvinistic references in this essay...

What would you expect from a guy named Calvin?! affraid
Back to top Go down
Candlemass

PostSubject: Re: The Biblical View of Music   Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:26 pm

I don't hold to "sola scriptura", but I do hold to common sense, really all that's needed here...
Back to top Go down
Candlemass

PostSubject: Re: The Biblical View of Music   Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:28 pm

I consider Bill Gothard a bit of a cult leader, not hard to refute most of his false teachings...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Biblical View of Music   

Back to top Go down

The Biblical View of Music
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1