For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Uncertain times

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 18088
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sat Nov 12, 2016 8:18 am

I have thought about that. I seriously have.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

Number of posts : 14634
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:27 am

What I think if God really want your wife and you to go to Dyersburg, she is getting more interest to go.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 2905
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:46 am

alldatndensum wrote:
The church in Dyersburg wants a second interview. My wife does not want to go there. I am praying that God will really show me His plan for us in this.

A friend of mine who's a UMC pastoral candidate was interviewed in a small town church. His wife works as a speech therapist. Since it was a small town she would basically not find much work around that area. When he told the search committee this, they responded "Well, your wife can live elsewhere." Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

Number of posts : 3353
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:18 pm

Through The Dark Radio wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:
The church in Dyersburg wants a second interview. My wife does not want to go there. I am praying that God will really show me His plan for us in this.

A friend of mine who's a UMC pastoral candidate was interviewed in a small town church. His wife works as a speech therapist. Since it was a small town she would basically not find much work around that area. When he told the search committee this, they responded "Well, your wife can live elsewhere." Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Wow... Nothing like the church encouraging men to love their wives as Christ loves the Church...
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Nov 14, 2016 12:19 pm

alldat,

I know your wife doesn't want to go, and that may be the sign you need, but why doesn't she want to go?

I'm sure we all have opinions but I would think based on the drama you've been through with your current church, a move may be a good thing.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18176
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Nov 14, 2016 3:32 pm

alldatndensum wrote:

That would make it really easy to turn down that position.

Number of posts : 1543
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:37 pm

Staybrite wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:

That's strange. Typically in the UMC the Bishop and District Superintendents appoint pastors where they want them to go and there typically isn't and interview process.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:56 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
alldat,

I know your wife doesn't want to go, and that may be the sign you need, but why doesn't she want to go?

I'm sure we all have opinions but I would think based on the drama you've been through with your current church, a move may be a good thing.

Actually, she is starting to soften to the idea. We spoke with one of the ladies from the church in Dyersburg tonight. They want us to come back and actually meet and work with the youth. This might take a few trips to see how things go. Depending on how that goes, I think that will push us to make a clearer decision.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Number of posts : 3196
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:09 pm

I've used my wife as a "fleece" several times asking God to let my wife be in agreement to move a certain direction.
Back to top Go down
http://www.derekclose.com
messiaen77

Number of posts : 1543
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:27 am

I have no wisdom to offer, just my continued prayers.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:43 am

alldatndensum wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
alldat,

Actually, she is starting to soften to the idea. We spoke with one of the ladies from the church in Dyersburg tonight. They want us to come back and actually meet and work with the youth. This might take a few trips to see how things go. Depending on how that goes, I think that will push us to make a clearer decision.

Interesting. I'll continue to pray for you both. I know if one spouse isn't on board with a decision, it makes it difficult - and this is an especially big decision.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 2905
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:58 am

messiaen77 wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:

That's strange. Typically in the UMC the Bishop and District Superintendents appoint pastors where they want them to go and there typically isn't and interview process.

Yes, but they usually meet with the church before being appointed. Pastors can say No to any appointment but it doesn't make you friends with the bishop.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Nov 21, 2016 10:21 pm

My regular church is still looking for a pastor.

The church in Dyersburg wants us to come back in January to do a special event with their teens to see if we would be a good fit as their youth pastor.

Back to top Go down
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:25 am

alldatndensum wrote:
My regular church is still looking for a pastor.

The church in Dyersburg wants us to come back in January to do a special event with their teens to see if we would be a good fit as their youth pastor.

That's (maybe) good news. At least interesting news.

Would they allow a transition period since you and your wife have regular jobs and such?
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:26 pm

Is there a chance you'll be the new pastor for your church?
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:03 pm

I put my resume in for the pastorate at my own church back in October. I got a standardized form letter today thanking me for my interest.

I find it funny and sad at the same time. I've gotten many of these before. Typically, it means that you aren't going to progress any further. it is nicer than a rejection notice. If a church is interested in you, they take initiative and call or email you. So, I am good enough to be the youth pastor--something we won't need for much longer if we don't turn this church around. However, I am not good enough to be the senior pastor.

Always a bridesmaid and never a bride as they say!

Back to top Go down
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Wed Nov 23, 2016 3:09 pm

That's where I am with my current job - good enough to cover when people are on vacation but not good enough to get the job permanently.

Still praying you find direction.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Wed Nov 23, 2016 4:01 pm

That's what I do too.
Praying for you that you can see what God's plan is for you.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Tue Dec 27, 2016 9:48 pm

Even though I applied for the role of pastor at my own church, I do not believe that I will get it. Why? A) They keep getting the same two men to repeatedly speak at our church. One is qualified while the other isn't. B) I have not gotten even an interview. Just the latter speaks volume of our committee's intent in my mind. No matter when I have applied for church work in the past, I always at least get an interview from the churches that are at least considering me. When they don't consider you a viable option, they send you a form letter that acknowledges that you applied. Guess what? I got that from my church in the mail the first week of December.

However, I do have my 1st trial with the church in Dyersburg, TN on Jan. 8. I will be doing my first trial at another church in Hermitage, TN on Jan. 15. I may soon have another trial at a church here in Wilson Co. if things go well. I believe that God still wants to use me, I just no longer feel that I know where that is.

Back to top Go down
Xid

Number of posts : 3196
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:30 pm

I'm keeping you in prayer!
Back to top Go down
http://www.derekclose.com
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:56 am

Things get interesting for me starting this week.

I will travel to Dyersburg for round two with the church there that is looking for a full time youth minister. I did not feel I could really accept or decline the job without meeting the kids. Hopefully, this hasn't sent the wrong message to their search committee that I am already moving in my mind. I am praying that if this is where the Lord wants us that we both will just get plain ol' excited about Dyersburg after meeting the kids.

The following week I will speak at a church closer to home in Hermitage, TN. They are looking for a part time pastor. Depending on how "part time" that is, this could be a good situation where my wife and I both could keep our secular jobs and stay close to her aging mom.

I had another church that is looking for a full time pastor request my resume. While I did mail it the week before Christmas, I didn't realistically think that a search committee would really look it over during the holidays. It would be the best as far as situations as it would be still in my home county. My wife could stay at her current job and carry insurance for both of us.

Back to top Go down
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:30 am

Still praying. Waiting is so tough, I know, but God will show which path to take.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18176
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:52 pm

Still praying her as well.

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:25 am

Still praying.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:19 am

We ended up having to reschedule the trial with the church in Dyersburg due to snow. I don't have a date set for that yet.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   

Back to top Go down

Uncertain times
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 4 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next