For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Uncertain times

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 18091
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:11 pm

My wife is ready to pack our bags and go to Pinewood. I, on the other hand, am more hesitant as I know she will have a 1 1/2 drive every day to keep her job. Who would take care of her mom back here? I don't want to let these things hold us back if that is where the Lord wants us, but I don't want to do the wrong thing, either. I am terrified of going out there and falling flat on my face and have moved to an area where there is even less than there is here.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Jen5

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2017-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:35 pm

I know you know this, but sometimes we need a reminder to stop our worry and trust the Lord. From Elijah: "Go out and stand on the mountain before the Lord" and Isaiah "In you silence and trust is your strength" Be still Chris and you will hear.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 2941

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:02 pm

I don't think you have a peace about this. It's OK to be scared yet trust God enough to step out of the boat onto the water, but the thing that bothers me most in your situation is neither party really know one another.
Earlier you wrote wrote:
While the church hasn't heard me preach, the committee and deacons have via video. They want me to come as their pastor.
Frankly, I'm shocked they'd accept someone without getting the greater church to meet them in person. There's a lot more to pastoring than preaching. There is no WAY I'd pick up and move in that situation. While I understand they could use someone closer, if you do accept this, I'd keep where you are for a year maybe to see how things go both with the church and your wife's mother.

Jen5

Number of posts : 249
Registration date : 2017-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:37 pm

One thing's for sure, the church needs to fit the man and the man needs to fit the church. Maybe a formal trial period (interm pastor for three months or something like that) so that you can decide if it's right for you and they can decide if you're right for them.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:14 pm

Now THAT is the kind of advice I've been waiting for someone to throw out there. Neither of you are saying not to go, but both of you ARE saying that I should proceed cautiously as they have not had the church formally meet me.

Actually, as many churches here do, if I signal my intent to proceed, they would have me come one Sunday and preach/have a big dinner. The people could meet me at that time. They would then vote the following week. With my current church, I'd have to give them at least 30 days notice of separation as per my hiring agreement. The new potential church would have a chance to meet me before I was voted in or not.

I also like the idea of the try it first mentality since it is a big move. There again, if voted in as their pastor, most churches have a 3-6 month trial period where they would vote again to decide if we were a great fit. I'd hate to pack up and move and not know if we were permanent or not.

I also like the idea of sticking closer to where we are for my wife's job (she makes great money and only has 11 years left until retirement--something we need to consider, too) and for caring for her mom. My mother-in-law has always treated me with great respect even when I was undeserving. She is the only parent we have left. My wife has a sister who is having some big health problems of her own and may not be able to care for their mom if we were out of the picture.

I will definitely ponder these things this week as I am walking the beech in prayer. Florida, here I come!!!!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

Number of posts : 14637
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:38 am

It's hard to say what to do.

The advice Jen had is a wonderful advice.
On this way you can see how it is to be the pastor of this church.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:17 pm

I need thise prayers tonight desperately, friends. I have to give my intention as to whether I want to be considered for the pastor of this church. I am conflicted as it would be a good opportunity but would put so much extra on Holly.

Aside from that, again I feel like heaven is silent. I have always just known what we were supposed to do when an opportunity arose. This time, I feel so conflicted and my stomach is tied in knots.

Lord, I need Your confirmation. While I know You want me to be patient, I need an answer NOW! I will trust You for the answer and to lead where You would have me to go. Amen!

Back to top Go down
Fundy

Number of posts : 3739
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:14 pm

Praying for you alldat.
Also, it is nice to see Holly being so supportive of you, and willing to change locations yet travelling to keep her job.
You have a great wife there, alldat!

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:39 pm

Praying.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:34 pm

I do have a great wife! She has been extremely supportive through this whole thing.

I never had peace over this. I also never had a burden for the church. So, I turned down this opportunity. I want the same excitement that I have had before every church I have ever served in before I went. I never felt that this time.

I know--you can't always go by feelings. However, that is ALL I had to go on.

Back to top Go down
Driven

Number of posts : 5629
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:31 pm

I'm curious. How much have you considered stepping out of pastoring altogether, at least for the time being? It seems that you have a desire to keep on pastoring, but maybe God has something different for you in mind. I believe you won't be disappointing God if you decide to step back and focus on your friendships and relationships at work or in the community. It's of course not up to me to tell you what you should do, and I don't know what's deep in your heart on the matter, because God may well have given you the calling to keep this up, although nothing is clear now. I'm just wondering if the next step for you is just letting go of pastoring for a season.

Then again, I'm probably forgetting about similar discussion in this thread. Again, there's no shame in stepping out of formal ministry, if that was worrying you. Smile
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 18184
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:24 pm

I had a pastor tell me that when he got no answer to prayer he decided to not change anything. Kind of the way I have approached a "non-answer" to prayer...kind of treat it as a "not yet" or "not the right time/place" kind of response.

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:38 am

Now I've read you never had peace about this I dare to tell you that the quiet of God can be the answer on your question don't do it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   

Back to top Go down

Uncertain times
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 10 of 10Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10