For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Uncertain times

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 2826
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:41 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
You could do both. Send the head of the committee an email thanking him for the opportunity and tell him you look forward to hearing about the next step in the selection process.

I concur.  This shows them that you have interest in the position while being polite.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

Number of posts : 14432
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:55 pm

I've no idea what (future) pastors do in circumstances as this.
What are the rules.
What's better, wait till they contact you again.
Or to show them how you really want to have this job.
Maybe the other here can tell.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 17673
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:08 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
You could do both. Send the head of the committee an email thanking him for the opportunity and tell him you look forward to hearing about the next step in the selection process.

It turns out that I won't have to.  I got a text message from the head of the other church's search committee.  This is what it said:

Quote :
Chris, you did GREAT yesterday!!  We are narrowing it down to a couple of candidates.  YOU are still very much in the running.  Keep praying for God's timing and planning!  I'll touch base soon!

So, while I may sound overly eager, I responded with a message.  My wife and I feel that this would be a great fit for us and we truly are ready to move if the Lord opens the door.  This was my reply:

Quote :
I was hoping to hear back from you!  yesterday felt like home, and my wife and I both are pleased that we are still in the running.  If W.C. (name of church omitted for now) wants us, we are ready to come on board.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
ishmael81

Number of posts : 3198
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:33 pm

Great! All that worrying for nothing.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Number of posts : 3038
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:56 pm

Awesome!
Back to top Go down
http://www.derekclose.com
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:44 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
Great! All that worrying for nothing.

Hey, you gotta be good at something, right?

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 17740
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Tue Jan 31, 2017 3:46 pm

alldatndensum wrote:

Quote :
I was hoping to hear back from you!  yesterday felt like home, and my wife and I both are pleased that we are still in the running.  If W.B.C. (name of church omitted for now) wants us, we are ready to come on board.

WHAT!?  Westboro Baptist Church!!!!  NOOOOO!  geek

All joking aside that does sound very promising, saying a prayer that it is God's will to have you there.

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Tue Jan 31, 2017 4:31 pm

Yippeeee, that's awesome, great amazing good news.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:58 pm

Well, we heard the new potential pastoral candidate today and did a Q&A session with him.  I've got a lot of praying to do.  I wanted the position and am still a bit bitter that I wasn't even taken serious as a candidate.  My wife is upset as well.  We SHOULDN'T feel this way, but we do.

We're also very discouraged right now.  None, not a single one, of the youth even bothered to show up for the Q&A session.  Most of the 40 and under crowd did not, either.  I guess with this candidate being 63 that they feel that A) he isn't concerned about the younger generations and that B) the search committee is just pitching who they want and we'll just blindly vote him in.  I don't know that is what they are feeling/thinking, but I am guessing that with their lack of involvement tonight.

My youth numbers are dismal.  I'm ready to throw in the towel and just walk away.  I'm tired and don't see the church wanting to really change to become an instrument to reach new people.  They want a pastor who will do it for them, and that isn't going to happen.  It takes all of us.

I am even more down tonight.  I contacted the church in Hermitage where I am being considered as pastor.  Well, not really.  They were talking to someone else first.  I am their next choice.  While that isn't a "no", I feel that it will be.

I just feel that my every effort and prayer is worthless right now.  I don't want to pray anymore as I don't feel that God is listening.  I've never felt so beaten and defeated.  Without something changing in me and in my current situation, I don't know what I will do.  I just can't keep feeling like my youth group and church are dying and no one cares enough to get involved to help.  I can't help but feeling like I have some sort of disease where my own or other churches don't want me.  I can't help but feel that God cares so little that months and months of prayers continue to be unheard, and that my wife and I are the "red-headed step child" of the family that is unwanted.

I could almost say, "Screw it!" and walk away completely.  I know deep down that this isn't the right thing to do, but that's where I am.  I hate confessing this, but I had to get it off my chest somewhere.

I need a change whether it be in the church where I serve or a new opportunity.  Without it, I fear that I will slide further into this funk to the point that I become bitter.  Then, my effectiveness and usefulness to the Lord is done.  I don't want that.  I want to feel that what I am currently doing means  something and is making a difference.  Right now, I feel that I am making about as much difference in my church and in the kingdom as a dog turd does to a new shoe--just making a stinking mess!

Back to top Go down
Xid

Number of posts : 3038
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:14 am

You aren't a dog turd.

I'm still praying for you.
Back to top Go down
http://www.derekclose.com
messiaen77

Number of posts : 1478
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:42 pm

When I saw your FB post this morning, I knew to come over here for the details.  I totally get what you are saying, but I concur with Xid that you are not a turd.  I can say that even though I've never been where you are professionally, I have been there in other areas.  That's how I realized God doesn't smiteth us if we yell and cuss at him.  My pastor preached on Joshua 3 yesterday, the part where Israel crossed the Jordan.  God told the priests carrying the ark to step into the rain-swollen river and stand still and THEN God would stop the flow of the river.  The point Kerry made with that was that we first need to be obedient to God's calling and also to be willing to wait on God's timing.  Believe me, I know waiting sucks a big, hairy, smelly toe, but God is always faithful and will always lead us exactly where we need to be.  As hard is it may be, cling to God who is always faithful and cling to Holly.  I know we guys have a tendency to shut our spouses out of the negative stuff going on with us because we don't want to burden them or appear weak, but God gave us these wonderful women to bear with us.  Or maybe you are far more evolved than I am and you've already figured that part out.

Anyway, I'll keep praying for you both.  I don't know the hows and whens of it, but I do know that God will part the water for you.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 2890

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:43 pm

Frankly, Chris, all that matters is are you being obedient to what God wants you to do right now where you are at? Numbers don't matter. A new place doesn't matter. Just be obedient. If you don't know what God wants you to do, then just simply "love your neighbor". Your "neighbors" at your current church may be treating you like a turd, but you just keep heaping burning coals upon their heads until God calls you elsewhere (which MAY NOT happen). Yes, it is very frustrating from a human perspective. Yes, you may never see any tangible results, but keep in mind you are not after man's approval. Keep your chin up and shine your light so bright those old farts have to wear shades.
Amen Thumbs Up

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:43 pm

Not a fun situation to be in, still praying that God will lead you to where he wants you....even if it is away from your current church.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:26 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
Frankly, Chris, all that matters is are you being obedient to what God wants you to do right now where you are at? Numbers don't matter. A new place doesn't matter. Just be obedient. If you don't know what God wants you to do, then just simply "love your neighbor". Your "neighbors" at your current church may be treating you like a turd, but you just keep heaping burning coals upon their heads until God calls you elsewhere (which MAY NOT happen). Yes, it is very frustrating from a human perspective. Yes, you may never see any tangible results, but keep in mind you are not after man's approval. Keep your chin up and shine your light so bright those old farts have to wear shades.
Amen Thumbs Up

I'm tired of serving with no visible fruit.  Its pointless.  I feel exhausted and like a failure.  If it were a secular job, I'd walk out without hesitation.  This FEELS like a dead end street, but because we're talking about God, I am expected to just take it and be thankful?  It is more than frustrating.  Its emasculating.

It isn't just with the current church situation.  Its the same with having children, the lack of being able to find musicians to play in a band, the church situation, etc.  All of it together makes me feel like everyone else gets their blessings but I get the leftovers.  And, while I know that the clay isn't supposed to command the potter, I just want to scream, "WTF!!!"  I am tired of feeling like all I get are the scraps from the master's table.

Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 2890

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:48 pm

Since I'm a man of few words, I'll just reply that a lot of people would be thrilled to get the scraps from the Master's table.

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:06 am

If you're tired of serving, maybe you need to evaluate your reasons for serving. Are you serving so Jesus gets glory or... ? Honestly, man I don't know where your heart is on this and I don't know what God is going to do. But complaining about it doesn't help anyone, you know? Least of all you.

I know it's tough to be patient. We can complain and whine while opportunities to bless people and minister to God pass us by, or we can jump in and do what he has already enabled us to do until He's ready to move us.

I'm not trying to be harsh to you right now - I'm trying to speak with love and grace but still be real with you. I'm dealing with a friend who complains all the time about ministry and how they don't want to do it and it's toxic to me personally, as well as the church (both locally and as a whole). Like I said, I get that it's tough. But God wants something other than what you want and you need to accept that reality.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:35 am

Accept that reality while I feel like I'm dying inside?  Just take it while repeatedly having opportunities just pass you by, repeatedly get hurt by those you serve, repeatdly get knocked down until you don't want to get up anymore?  Maybe I am not a saint like some of you, but there is no joy in that kind of pain.

But since I am toxic to the rest of you, I am taking a break.  Time to step away from here until I get the answers I need.  I won't poison the well for the rest of you.

Back to top Go down
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:45 am

I never said I was a saint and I didn't say you were toxic - I said the behavior you displayed was toxic. Do you equate the behavior of the kids in your classroom or youth group with who they are as a person? Of course not.

I'm sorry if my words hurt you but is it possible that God isn't withholding something from you but instead protecting you from something?

Take a break if you'd like - I think it's a great idea. And yes, get the answers from God because we're people just like you. Again, I'm sorry if I seemed harsh but I felt like you needed someone to be honest with you and I tried my best to speak with love and grace (which is difficult to do in writing). Please forgive me if I hurt or offended you.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

Number of posts : 2284
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:27 pm

I think Joshua's advice is good, but perhaps it should be clarified/expanded upon to this: if it is God's will and desire for you to continue serving in the way you are, then you better buck up and do it.  We are called to love God by being obedient to Him - no matter how it makes us feel or what the earthly consequences are.  HOWEVER, if God is calling you to something else, then you should flee from whatever it is you're currently doing to pursue that, again in obedience.  And that is where things get tricky: discerning God's will and desire for you.  I don't think any of us can help you with that unless God chooses to use us to speak to you.  I realize that this is an excruciating time for you and I hope it passes immediately.  But consider that this may be exactly where God is calling you - in which case, regardless of comforts, is the absolute best place you could ever be.  Seems to me the first step would be to do your best to put aside all feelings, personal hopes and wants, and to then seek what He wants for you actively and with humility.  At this point, I think that's about all anyone could do.  Please let us know how we can best be praying for you.  I am praying that God would share with you His hopes for you.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:07 am

I only say that I'm praying for this.

Quote :
Please let us know how we can best be praying for you.
Yes, that good to know how we can pray for you.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:53 pm

Still praying for you brother, don't cease to share your problems with those who love you.

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:09 am

You know what I think?
Since we are a close family here on CHM we've to support Chris and his wife to pray for them.
That's what we have to do as CHM-family.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

Number of posts : 1478
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:36 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
topshot rhit wrote:
Amen Thumbs Up

I'm tired of serving with no visible fruit.  Its pointless.  I feel exhausted and like a failure.  If it were a secular job, I'd walk out without hesitation.  This FEELS like a dead end street, but because we're talking about God, I am expected to just take it and be thankful?  It is more than frustrating.  Its emasculating.

It isn't just with the current church situation.  Its the same with having children, the lack of being able to find musicians to play in a band, the church situation, etc.  All of it together makes me feel like everyone else gets their blessings but I get the leftovers.  And, while I know that the clay isn't supposed to command the potter, I just want to scream, "WTF!!!"  I am tired of feeling like all I get are the scraps from the master's table.
So do it!  Scream it out!  Ya know, everyone points at Job and says "see, it's not good to question God," but what really happened to Job?  Did he get some kind of cosmic, divine smackdown?  No, he got the answer he was looking for AND more blessing.  Look at Jacob who wrestled with God/an angel in order to get a blessing.  I hate the potter/clay analogy because clay is something to be used by the potter, it is not in relationship with the potter, whereas we are Children of God and who if he asks his father for bread will get a stone?  Yeah, we gotta be obedient and we gotta go where God leads, but that does not in any way that we can't ask questions along the way or even vent frustrations.  Remember it was Jesus who asked if there was another way besides the cross while still being obedient.  Ask the questions, vent the frustrations.  Be honest with God and yourself.  I love the Margaret Becker song "Honesty"--"God's not afraid of your honesty, he can heal your heart if you speak honestly."
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:09 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:
topshot rhit wrote:
Amen Thumbs Up

So do it!  Scream it out!  Ya know, everyone points at Job and says "see, it's not good to question God," but what really happened to Job?  Did he get some kind of cosmic, divine smackdown?  No, he got the answer he was looking for AND more blessing.  Look at Jacob who wrestled with God/an angel in order to get a blessing.  I hate the potter/clay analogy because clay is something to be used by the potter, it is not in relationship with the potter, whereas we are Children of God and who if he asks his father for bread will get a stone?  Yeah, we gotta be obedient and we gotta go where God leads, but that does not in any way that we can't ask questions along the way or even vent frustrations.  Remember it was Jesus who asked if there was another way besides the cross while still being obedient.  Ask the questions, vent the frustrations.  Be honest with God and yourself.  I love the Margaret Becker song "Honesty"--"God's not afraid of your honesty, he can heal your heart if you speak honestly."

Thank you for that, man!  Sometimes we just need permission to do what we're doing anyway.  I was thinking about ol' Job today and realizing that he questioned God.  Most of the book is him and his friends whining.  When they finally went too far, God stepped in with an answer.  I think that's been the most frustrating thing during all of this is that, while I've been praying, heaven seems so distant and silent.  So, trust me--I'm SCREAMING back right now!!!!

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:15 pm

PLEASE pray for my wife and I.  We've been dealt a lot to deal with this past week and was added more garbage to it on Saturday night.  I am hurt, angry, and still just as discouraged.  Heaven seems silent and billions of miles away. 

I won't say any more because I don't want to be a "Debbie Downer".

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   

Back to top Go down

Uncertain times
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next