For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Uncertain times

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 8782
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:57 pm

I do not envy you
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 17657
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:56 am

You don't envy the trial or the snow???  lol! 

Witht he church in Dyersburg, there has been one thing lacking during the whole process.  Excitement.  Every church I have served in I have had a certain level of excitement even going through the process of whether I was going or not.  This time, I just don't have that.  To be honest, I have prayed and prayed that the excitement would come but I truly feel.....nothing.

Now with the other churches I have sent my resume to, I am excited about those.  I am preaching at a church in Hermitage next Sunday and they are considering me for their pastor.  I am excited about that.  I also had another church who hasn't interviewed me (yet) request my resume.  I am excited about that as well.

Also, with Dyersburg, we were praying that God would do whatever to close the door if we were not to go.  So, we got snow on Friday.  While I could have traveled the interstate here, down around Jackson, TN they had several miles of closure where I could not have made it.  You have to go through Jackson to get to Dyersburg.  Do you think I am over-spiritualizing that, or do you think it could be the Lord saying not to go?

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
ishmael81

Number of posts : 3197
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:17 am

I hate to base any decision on feelings, but if you aren't excited, I would think that may be a bigger sign that you aren't supposed to go there. I know God doesn't just do things that make us happy but if you are apathetic about this potential opportunity, what kind of service would you really be giving?

Of course, I'm wrong everyday - usually multiple times during the day. This could be your church.

Helpful, I know.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 17732
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:17 am

alldatndensum wrote:
Also, with Dyersburg, we were praying that God would do whatever to close the door if we were not to go.  So, we got snow on Friday.  While I could have traveled the interstate here, down around Jackson, TN they had several miles of closure where I could not have made it.  You have to go through Jackson to get to Dyersburg.  Do you think I am over-spiritualizing that, or do you think it could be the Lord saying not to go?

Maybe the devils putting up road-blocks to try and prevent you from being where you need to be.

Or maybe you're just supposed to wait for the road conditions to be better before you go.

Number of posts : 14432
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:01 pm

God will show you His way.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:02 pm

Quote :
I hate to base any decision on feelings, but if you aren't excited, I would think that may be a bigger sign that you aren't supposed to go there. I know God doesn't just do things that make us happy but if you are apathetic about this potential opportunity, what kind of service would you really be giving?

I don't want to be guided by feelings alone, but I know that the Lord did give them to us for a reason.  I also feel that my being apathetic would not be healthy for the church in Dyersburg.  We may miss an opportunity, but it may mean them getting someone who absolutely fell in love with the church, the area, etc.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:59 pm

With the overall feelings towards Dyersburg and several other indicators, we have declined the position.

Of course, I am still speaking at a church in Hermitage (suburb of Nashville) on Sunday morning and they are looking for a pastor.  They have my resume, and I am actually excited about this.  If I got this one, I would have the opportunity to grow a church if they are willing.  It would allow my wife to stay at her position, allow me to continue working with my babies (my special needs kids at Lebanon High School), and keep us close to my wife's aging mom who we look after. 

There is also another church who requested our resume but they have not contacted us yet.  I hope they do just because it will make things interesting.  However, we are praying that God only opens the door to where He wants us--even if it is staying right where we are currently serving.

Back to top Go down
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:46 am

Still praying. Thanks for the update.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sat Jan 14, 2017 8:47 am

Will pray for you when you have to speak in the church in Hermitage.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:43 am

Everything went well at the church in Hermitage and they have invited me back for a second trial.  I am also letting a few of the people know in my current church that others are looking at me for their pastor.  Maybe that will spur our search committee to look closer at my resume.

Back to top Go down
Xid

Number of posts : 3034
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:55 am

Congrats!  Continuing to pray!
Back to top Go down
http://www.derekclose.com
rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:39 am

That's cool you have to preach again.
I hope so you get this job.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

Number of posts : 1658
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:55 am

Good, good news! Looking forward to the outcome God has planned.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 17732
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:48 pm

Promising news!

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:25 am

I still have the second visit to the church in Hermitage!

I AM NOT being considered for the pastorate at my home church where I am the youth pastor.  They plan to present a candidate to us in the middle of February and vote at the end of the month.  It hurt to find out as I still believe that I am the best candidate for this as I know the people, know what they say they need from their pastor, the mistakes of our previous pastor that resigned, etc.  But I will get over it.

I don't like the way the new guy is being presented, though.  I had to do FOUR WEEKS of trials just to be the youth pastor here.  The committee intends on having this guy speak once, do a Q&A session that night, and then vote two weeks later.  So we are to know if he is the right guy from ONE sermon?  I feel that this is being railroaded through.  I cannot vote to confirm any pastor from ONE sermon.  I know--my own hurt feelings could be part of me not liking this, but I have ran this through a couple of other people whose judgment I trust.  They think the same as I do.

Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:19 pm

I can understand that this hurt.
In my opinion you are a perfect candidate, because you know the congregation and the youth for many years.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

Number of posts : 1658
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:57 am

I think it is God's way of showing you it is time to move on. We shall see!
Back to top Go down
kerrick

Number of posts : 2284
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:43 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
I AM NOT being considered for the pastorate at my home church where I am the youth pastor.  They plan to present a candidate to us in the middle of February and vote at the end of the month.  It hurt to find out as I still believe that I am the best candidate for this as I know the people, know what they say they need from their pastor, the mistakes of our previous pastor that resigned, etc.  But I will get over it.

I don't like the way the new guy is being presented, though.  I had to do FOUR WEEKS of trials just to be the youth pastor here.  The committee intends on having this guy speak once, do a Q&A session that night, and then vote two weeks later.  So we are to know if he is the right guy from ONE sermon?  I feel that this is being railroaded through.  I cannot vote to confirm any pastor from ONE sermon.  I know--my own hurt feelings could be part of me not liking this, but I have ran this through a couple of other people whose judgment I trust.  They think the same as I do.

That seems very foolish to only base their decision off of one sermon... That's pretty poor leadership IMO. As for not choosing you, keep in mind that your time as youth pastor there is effectively one big interview. So in a sense, you've been afforded MUCH more time than this other guy. Why they aren't considering you is another question, but it may have nothing to do with your ability to teach or give a good sermon. Perhaps there's something entirely different and who knows what that is. It could be that they think you're not a good fit for their needs of leadership or it could be that someone on the board has some personal and petty grudge against you. Either way, it might be good to try to really get to the bottom of it - if for nothing else, to know where you may seek to grow or to address some issue you're not even aware of there being. But even if you and your role are completely taken out of the equation, how they're handling interviewing/hiring a new pastor seems to me very unwise and quite foolish and as Mike said, might be confirmation for you to move on. That's a sucky situation and I am sorry you have to deal with it.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:31 pm

kerrick wrote:
alldatndensum wrote:

That seems very foolish to only base their decision off of one sermon...  That's pretty poor leadership IMO.  As for not choosing you, keep in mind that your time as youth pastor there is effectively one big interview.  So in a sense, you've been afforded MUCH more time than this other guy.  Why they aren't considering you is another question, but it may have nothing to do with your ability to teach or give a good sermon.  Perhaps there's something entirely different and who knows what that is.  It could be that they think you're not a good fit for their needs of leadership or it could be that someone on the board has some personal and petty grudge against you.  Either way, it might be good to try to really get to the bottom of it - if for nothing else, to know where you may seek to grow or to address some issue you're not even aware of there being.  But even if you and your role are completely taken out of the equation, how they're handling interviewing/hiring a new pastor seems to me very unwise and quite foolish and as Mike said, might be confirmation for you to move on.  That's a sucky situation and I am sorry you have to deal with it.

I was praying about this situation on my lunch break and had some thoughts.

Months ago when all this first started, your original post was this:
"The church where I serve as a youth pastor has had undercurrent after undercurrent of division.  I'm still willing to serve, but my time may be running out. 

Some of the folks who seem to literally hate our pastor and have done nothing but oppose him at every turn have stopped attending regular services.  They still come to Sunday School and then duck out of worship.  They have started a Bible study at different peoples' houses and are pulling people away from the church to come to that.  I feel that they are going to come back in like a wolf pack to vote out the pastor.  They may do the same to me and "take back their church".  They tried to vote the pastor out three years ago but it didn't work.  This time, I am certain that they will succeed.

I just need clarity about who I can/can't trust.  I want to keep ministering to my youth without taking sides.  But, it is getting harder and harder to love well.  I need this to end whether I am still on staff or not.  I will serve wherever God opens a door.  I just want this situation to end.  I also want anyone who has the wrong motives for this division to be exposed so that the world can see them for who they really are."

I highlighted some things that I think you need reminded of. You've known that this group is out to "take back their church" and I recall a few posts about it being their church vs. God's church. You also said very clearly that you realized that God may move you somewhere else.

I understand though. People are mean and hurtful and not one of us deserve what Jesus did for us. But love them anyway and move on the next thing God has for you.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

Number of posts : 1478
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:05 am

I think you've gotten at least part of your answer.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:26 pm

Thanks for the prayers and input, everyone.

We shall see what lies ahead for me.  I am speaking at the church in Hermitage again tomorrow.  I do hope they give some inclination of what their intent is.  I know they have my resume and are considering me for their pastor.  I just hope that, while we are there, that something would signal if they indeed want me to come on board there.  It will be a lot of work as fhere are almost no kids and no teens there.  However, they are surrounded by apartments and subdivisions with few other churches around them.  I would say that the harvest is ripe if this church is willing to get busy!

Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:35 pm

Hope it went well.
I hope and pray they want you !!!
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:17 pm

OK, new question for you all.

I went and spoke at the church in Hermitage.  I thought that the service went well and the people seemed enthusiastic.

I also felt like I could be at home in this position if it were offered.  Again, it would be bi-vocational and I would still need to retain secular employment.  I don't mind that as this is all I have ever known in ministry.

My question is this:  do I contact the guy on the search committee and tell them that I would like to go to the next level, or do I just leave things alone and see what they do?  Having only served in 3 churches, I do not know what protocol would dictate here.

Back to top Go down
Xid

Number of posts : 3034
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:03 pm

I do not know.  I think I would wait a few days and if you don't hear anything then maybe give the guy a call.
Back to top Go down
http://www.derekclose.com
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:31 am

You could do both. Send the head of the committee an email thanking him for the opportunity and tell him you look forward to hearing about the next step in the selection process.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Uncertain times   

Back to top Go down

Uncertain times
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next