Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Kickstarter Pledge Rewards

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
deathisgain

deathisgain

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2014-12-04

Kickstarter Pledge Rewards Empty
PostSubject: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards   Kickstarter Pledge Rewards I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 8:22 pm

I was talking to some one that is thinking of doing a kickstarter campaign for an album. I told him some of my experiences, my likes and peeves. It made me think of asking everyone here what they liked and didn't like about kickstarter campaigns. So, what have you liked, what have you hated, and what would you like to see from your favorite band?
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23441
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards   Kickstarter Pledge Rewards I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 28, 2016 8:36 pm

HATED:

1.  Taking too long to complete album (example:  Guardian taking two years to finish promised project)

2.  Amounts charged being too high with very little incentive to join.

LOVED:

1.  Seeing bands complete album quickly because they've already started on it when the Kickstarter begins (Bloodgood, Disciple, Decyfer Down, and John Schlitt all did this)

2.  Having a super cheap option to get the CD and dowloads before anyone can purchase the project.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards   Kickstarter Pledge Rewards I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 10:29 am

I think they are great for bands/artists that already have a somewhat large and loyal fan base.  I think they are likely a complete waste of time for any less established artists trying to get their music, book, movie etc. out.

I have to confess that I have only ever done one of them and it was a very positive experience.  I would certainly do more in the future (assuming I have the funds at the time).  From what I have seen, updates to the fans are key.  They will put up with you being late on a project, but they won't put up with being ignored.

Last edited by Staybrite on Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
deathisgain

deathisgain

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards   Kickstarter Pledge Rewards I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 11:41 am

I've participated in two so far, and for the most part received what I paid for. There were a few hiccups, but nothing bad. I've learned enough in this day and age, that nothing goes as planned and that there usually is going to be a delay.

I did tell him that communication is key. One campaign went silent for a while and took time to answer a question I had.

What are things that you would like to receive besides a CD?
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards   Kickstarter Pledge Rewards I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 12:37 pm

I like the t-shirts and autographed poster (with the cd) options. It's also cool to get a bonus disc or deluxe edition option with a few extra songs (and possibly even acoustic/live versions etc.).

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards   Kickstarter Pledge Rewards I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 1:42 pm

I've done quite a few Kickstarter campaigns and haven't really had any major issues.  The only problem that I've seen is that I didn't always get notices whenever the band would post them.  But that's a Kickstarter issue.
Back to top Go down
deathisgain

deathisgain

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards   Kickstarter Pledge Rewards I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 2:53 pm

Staybrite wrote:
I like the t-shirts and autographed poster (with the cd) options.  It's also cool to get a bonus disc or deluxe edition option with a few extra songs (and possibly even acoustic/live versions etc.).

Has anyone received a poster from an artist? How do they ship them? I received one for the art I did, and they folded it. :/
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards   Kickstarter Pledge Rewards I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 2:58 pm

I've done one. It was to fund Michael Knott's live recording of the 20th anniversary of his second solo record, Rocket and a Bomb, and to record his new 6 song EP, Songs From the Feather River Highway.

The Good:
I paid $35 to get a DVD of the concert, an mp3 download of the concert and a CD copy of the EP. They added an option halfway to the goal to get additional items. I upped to $50 and got all the stuff above plus a signed copy of LSU's (one of Mike's bands) PTSD on CD.

So $50 for a DVD, 2 CD's (one signed) and mp3's of the DVD. Josh Lory, Mike's bass player and the coordinator of the campaign has communicated pretty regularly.

The Bad:
The concert was in October of 2014. We were supposed to have everything by Thanksgiving of last year. As of today, all I have is the mp3's.

In fairness, Mike had a severe heart attack about this time last year and that set everything back 6 months. So you could say a downfall is unforeseen issues that push back completing the product.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards   Kickstarter Pledge Rewards I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 29, 2016 3:00 pm

deathisgain wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
I like the t-shirts and autographed poster (with the cd) options.  It's also cool to get a bonus disc or deluxe edition option with a few extra songs (and possibly even acoustic/live versions etc.).

Has anyone received a poster from an artist? How do they ship them? I received one for the art I did, and they folded it. :/

Never ordered a poster myself, but only because it isn't really my thing.

PostSubject: Re: Kickstarter Pledge Rewards   Kickstarter Pledge Rewards I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Kickstarter Pledge Rewards
Page 1 of 1