For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Need some prayer

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
ishmael81

Number of posts : 3197
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:27 pm

So a quick thing. What I met with my pastor about was to discuss the fact that I've felt called to formal ministry since I was 17 (19 years). We (him, his wife, my wife and me) talked for a couple hours and they had some suggestions.

As I said above, I'm going to start doing more within our church and he'll be mentoring. In fact, I've been leading devotions for our worship team for 6 months or so already and in March I'll be teaching Starting Point, the class for new attendees to the church.

I'm also going to start a program through our denomination's university to get started. Basically, we have three levels of pastor - licensed, certified and ordained. Our pastor is ordained, our children's leader is about to be licensed. I'm going to start classes to become licensed.

It's a cool program in that it's about 4 hours a week at home and then we meet for a few hours on a Saturday for the test. What I'd like prayer for is the cost.

It's only $100 a month but that's a lot of money to us. Please pray that we can manage our budget so I can pursue this calling.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 17657
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:05 pm

Quote :

I'm also going to start a program through our denomination's university to get started. Basically, we have three levels of pastor - licensed, certified and ordained. Our pastor is ordained, our children's leader is about to be licensed. I'm going to start classes to become licensed.

What kind of church do you attend?  I've only heard of a licensed and ordained minister.  The Southern Baptists don't seem to have that "certified" title.

I was licensed in 1997 and was ordained back in 2004.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:27 am

It's an Assembly of God church.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 17732
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:45 pm

Praying for you Ish.

Number of posts : 1478
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:42 am

Awesome man, praying!
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:20 am

Hey guys. So the company I've had 3 interviews with contacted me Friday to set up an interview for next Monday. I told my wife that 4 interviews seems a bit much and she said that she thought it was a good thing - it means they're still interested.

So if you could pray about that, I would appreciate it.

I also have been praying some about my job thing in general. For years I've done HR/leadership and thought I would eventually teach that at the college level. Now with answering the call to ministry, I'm wondering if I need to stay in this type of position or if I can just do anything that pays the bills... being a manager is hard and stressful, and while I'm good at it, some days I wish I just drove a truck or worked in a warehouse or something...

So if you could also pray about that. If this position at the treatment clinic falls through (after 4 interviews...), I need to look at my next step.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 17657

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:05 pm

Quote :
I also have been praying some about my job thing in general. For years I've done HR/leadership and thought I would eventually teach that at the college level. Now with answering the call to ministry, I'm wondering if I need to stay in this type of position or if I can just do anything that pays the bills... being a manager is hard and stressful, and while I'm good at it, some days I wish I just drove a truck or worked in a warehouse or something...

While the past year of ministry for me has been more than trying, I still would not look back from leaving my job that paid $25 and hour to be a bi-vocational minister and teacher's aid.  I don't regret that move at all.  If ministry is truly where you are to go, then it might be a good thing to be a bit less tethered to the secular job.  I know it was for me.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:52 pm

ishmael81 wrote:

I think there is a lot to be said for that...but I certainly don't have an answer for you.

My wife was basically forced to quit her job in December.  She managed a daycare with 30 employees and 100 students.  It was often a serious drain on her emotionally (and quite stressful).  A little more than 3 months later and it seems almost a blessing that she lost her job.  She has re-trained as a CNA and is looking to start full-time soon.  She has done some volunteer work in the field and already finds it much lower stress (and just as rewarding) as her previous job.  

Me on the other hand, I have more stress at work than I have ever had in my entire life (I am part owner of a small Engineering firm).  I have been on some sort of medication for my stress/anxiety for the last 9 months and some days I want to quit it all and just become a greeter at Walmart (sadly I can't afford to do that).

So no real help from me, but I can understand where you are coming from.

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:22 pm

Staybrite wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:

I think there is a lot to be said for that...but I certainly don't have an answer for you.

My wife was basically forced to quit her job in December.  She managed a daycare with 30 employees and 100 students.  It was often a serious drain on her emotionally (and quite stressful).  A little more than 3 months later and it seems almost a blessing that she lost her job.  She has re-trained as a CNA and is looking to start full-time soon.  She has done some volunteer work in the field and already finds it much lower stress (and just as rewarding) as her previous job.  

Me on the other hand, I have more stress at work than I have ever had in my entire life (I am part owner of a small Engineering firm).  I have been on some sort of medication for my stress/anxiety for the last 9 months and some days I want to quit it all and just become a greeter at Walmart (sadly I can't afford to do that).

So no real help from me, but I can understand where you are coming from.

That's the issue with our family right now. I don't make a fortune but I do make enough that most jobs that aren't supervisory would involve a pay cut. I'm just praying about it to see where God leads me.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:05 pm

A couple things.

First, I have my fourth interview with Clean Slate Monday. This is the drug rehab clinic and I am apparently doing well since it's my fourth interview...

Second, I have an interview Wednesday with the Missouri division of a national provider to children and adults with intellectual/developmental disabilities. This is the current field I work in except I work in a dysfunctional, dying state run facility as a supervisor with a lot of HR responsibilities and this job is for a national corporation that is growing, has a great reputation in the field and would strictly be HR. I would love to have this job, frankly.

Third, I mentioned a few weeks ago teaching our next orientation class at church. It's scheduled to start the week after Easter - I would appreciate prayer about it. I'm also looking at starting ministry school this summer once we have a few months under our belts with the budget.

I think that's all for now (it's enough, right?). Thanks gang.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 8782
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Thu Mar 30, 2017 4:09 pm

Things are lookin' up eh ? Right on bro ! Prayin' for ya
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 2823
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:50 am

Great to hear Very Happy
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:04 am

So the Clean Slate interview went really well. 

The other interview was interesting. I went in thinking it was for an HR position and it's for a position similar to what I do now. I don't know because when the lady called she just said "a position". I kept my name in for consideration but I'm doubtful about it.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:21 pm

Hey guys. I know some of you are still praying about this and I appreciate it. Today, I got a curveball from my current job.

Our House budgetary committee cut the funding for where I work by half for fiscal year 2018 and moved that money to a large single location facility here in the area. We have two campuses, so that means one campus can't stay open and the other folks will transfer to the other facility.

A couple issues come up. There's a good chance I'll get laid off. There are 3 people ahead of me in the position in terms of seniority, and there will only be two openings. One is eligible for retirement but even if he goes between now and then, I still won't have a place to land.

The other issue is that even if I do have a place to land, it'll be an issue. The location that I helped close in 2012 was about 35 minutes from home. Where I am now (where I transferred when that location closed) is about 15 minutes from home. The big facility is about 45 minutes from home with no traffic, and our other campus is an hour away with no traffic. So even if I have a position, I'm going to add significant time to my commute, which eats gas money and repair money, as well as time I'm home with my family.

So if you guys would keep praying with me that God shows me what to do, to go or stay, I'd appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:01 pm

That's a serious bummer, still praying for you brother.

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:51 am

So after I posted the above situation with my current job yesterday, I got an email that Clean Slate wants to move forward with other candidates, but at least they thanked me for the time it took to do 5 interviews...

I'm so over this situation. Honestly, if I didn't feel so strongly about getting out of where I am now, I would just give up the job hunt.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 2889

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:11 am

I can see why you are so frustrated. 5 interviews??? That's pretty inconsiderate on their part even if you had gotten the job.

Sounds like you won't have the choice of giving up the hunt with the consolidation coming. Perhaps you need to consider moving to a different area as well?

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:49 pm

I've considered moving but honestly I don't want to. We have a lot of family here, our friends are here, and my current pastor is mentoring me as I go to school to enter the ministry.

I've also considered changing jobs but I have no idea what I'd do.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Fri May 05, 2017 10:59 am

Hello all. Two things in my continued job saga.

First, I filed a complaint today against my supervisor. She's apparently been talking about my performance to other people... including one person I supervise. We'll see what happens.

Second, I found out today I have an interview the 15th with a different organization that would be like a one or two step promotion but would effectively double my salary. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited.

I appreciate your prayers.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

Number of posts : 2284
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Fri May 05, 2017 11:04 am

Sending up some prayers now!
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Fri May 05, 2017 7:05 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
Second, I found out today I have an interview the 15th with a different organization that would be like a one or two step promotion but would effectively double my salary. Needless to say, I'm pretty excited.

Praying it will become a reality!

Number of posts : 1478
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Sat May 06, 2017 9:23 am

Staybrite wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:

Praying it will become a reality!
Ditto
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Tue May 16, 2017 8:53 am

Well, my interview was yesterday and it went... well, I think...

The panel was four women, two who work with associates of the organization I would work for, the director at the St Louis county location (I would be the director of the St Louis City location) and the person who's currently in the job.

They asked 12 questions and I answered 9 or 10 of them really well (at least I think so). The others varied from "I don't have a lot of experience but would love to get better at that." to "I have no experience in that but would love to learn."

So now we wait. The panel told me that they may do second interviews unless they unanimously agree on a candidate and it may be close to the end of the month before I hear something....

I don't like waiting...
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Wed May 17, 2017 11:56 am

Hey gang,

So it seems when it rains it pours. I got a call yesterday for a different job to have a phone interview on Friday afternoon. Two interviews in one week!

Appreciate continued prayers.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   Wed May 17, 2017 3:04 pm

That's great news, praying one of them will be the right job!

PostSubject: Re: Need some prayer   

Back to top Go down

Need some prayer
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next