For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 

Led Zeppelin being sued for Stairway to Heaven

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ishmael81

Number of posts : 3272
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Led Zeppelin being sued for Stairway to Heaven   Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:33 am

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/led-zeppelin-to-face-jury-trial-over-stairway-to-heavens-substantial-similarity-to-spirits-taurus-636913

Thought this was interesting... especially considering it was recorded 45 years ago.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Number of posts : 2056
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin being sued for Stairway to Heaven   Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:39 am

Biggest crock of horse hockey I've heard in some time.  Listen to what Ian Anderson of Jethro Tull said about the Eagles' Hotel California in relation to a similar scenario, especially at 1:40.

I thought it was very cool and classy.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 8812
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin being sued for Stairway to Heaven   Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:12 pm

Ummm... you're telling me these guys just now woke up from being couch-locked on Ganja to figure this out ?
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Number of posts : 17913
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin being sued for Stairway to Heaven   Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:03 pm

Sounds like someone looking for a payday to me. But I have to confess to having never heard the Spirit song until just now. I do know that chord progressions and scales fit into predictable patterns so it is not at all uncommon to write a "new" song and have it sound substantially like an older one.
While I do hear some similarities in both songs I really don't think they are so similar as to scream copyright infringement.

Number of posts : 3272
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin being sued for Stairway to Heaven   Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:15 pm

I listened to both. They both have a descending chromatic progression which really can only be resolved one way but honestly beyond that... I don't hear it.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 8812
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin being sued for Stairway to Heaven   Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:16 pm

Those 2 songs have been compared for years !  They've been the subjects of website threads as well as books that talk about song "borrowing".... so, WHY NOW ??
Back to top Go down
Xid

Number of posts : 3100
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin being sued for Stairway to Heaven   Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:01 pm

Somebody is probably hoping they'll settle out of court so they can get some easy money.
Back to top Go down
http://www.derekclose.com
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 17850
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin being sued for Stairway to Heaven   Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:18 am

This is what is classically known as a cash grab.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Number of posts : 17913
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin being sued for Stairway to Heaven   Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:55 am

Xid wrote:
Somebody is probably hoping they'll settle out of court so they can get some easy money.

That's exactly what I was thinking.

Number of posts : 1494
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin being sued for Stairway to Heaven   Sat Apr 16, 2016 11:53 pm

Yes, courts have already ruled that there are only so many notes and so many ways to combine them, so chord progressions are not copyrightable.  This is even more absurd than the "Blurred Lines" suit.
Back to top Go down
deathisgain

Number of posts : 95
Registration date : 2014-12-04

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin being sued for Stairway to Heaven   Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:36 pm

I heard that the reason that they are bringing it up now, is because of the rerelease. It refreshed the copyrights.

I can see where Zep could have been influenced by them, and there is some connections. It starts off similar but goes in different directions.
Back to top Go down
Andreas89

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2016-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin being sued for Stairway to Heaven   Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:35 am

A pity this doesn't take place in the UK. That would mean that if Led Zeppelin would win, that they can get a refund for all their legal spendings from the opposition.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin

Number of posts : 17850
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin being sued for Stairway to Heaven   Sat Apr 23, 2016 2:49 pm

If they win here in the USA, they can sue for damages.  Most likely if they won that they would receive all of the money they've lost defending themselves.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Andreas89

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2016-03-24

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin being sued for Stairway to Heaven   Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:23 am

alldatndensum wrote:
If they win here in the USA, they can sue for damages.  Most likely if they won that they would receive all of the money they've lost defending themselves.
Fingers crossed for that to happen if it's just about the easy money.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Led Zeppelin being sued for Stairway to Heaven   

Back to top Go down

Led Zeppelin being sued for Stairway to Heaven
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1