Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Are you a Christian band?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

Are you a Christian band? Empty
PostSubject: Are you a Christian band?   Are you a Christian band? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 2:20 pm

I know. You read the title and thought "<groan> Here we go again." I'm not trying to start the "Christian band versus band with Christian members" debate. Admins, if any responses to this thread feel like they are headed that way, PLEASE lock it down. In fact, I don't care if you lock it before anyone can respond, because all I want to do is share what I feel is the best response I have ever read to that question.

Leroy Hamp, the vocalist for the core band War of Ages, recently gave an interview with Damnation Magazine." The link is below if you are interested, but first the question and answer that I feel is worthy of sharing:

Damnation Magazine wrote:
War Of Ages is often cited as a Christian band. Do you feel that this description is accurate? If so, what does it mean to be a Christian metal performer in this day and age where socio-political and religious rhetoric is all over social media and 24-hour news outlets?

Leroy Hamp wrote:
I don’t watch the news, I don’t really pay attention to social media, I don’t really care. As far as us being a Christian band? Well, absolutely. I mean, everything we do must reflect Christ. I don’t care if I’m brushing my teeth, I don’t care if I’m walking down the street, or just talking to someone about my job. I am here to reflect Christ in every aspect of my life. So if I’m a Christian, then everything I do is to reflect Him. So, yes, being in a band, I guess it would be a Christian band, because I’m reflecting Christ through it. So my lyrics obviously reflect my past and everything I’ve been through. So it’s one of those things… It’s so funny, when people ask that question, like, “So you consider yourself a Christian band?” I’m like, “If I’m a Christian, everything I do must be.” I mean, it should be. I shouldn’t say must be, but it should be. You know?

My first thought: raspberries to you Michael Sweet.  Razz

https://damnationmagazine.com/2016/04/01/band-interview-war-of-ages/
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Christian band?   Are you a Christian band? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 2:43 pm

BearDad wrote:

Leroy Hamp wrote:
...It’s so funny, when people ask that question, like, “So you consider yourself a Christian band?” I’m like, “If I’m a Christian, everything I do must be.” I mean, it should be. I shouldn’t say must be, but it should be. You know?

That's pretty darn cool right there.

I think the whole whether or not to call your band a "Christian band" or not argument is kind of dumb.  If you are a Christian and you are in a band some people are going to insist that it is a Christian band no matter what you try to call yourself.  It should be way more about the character of the band members and the message of the music than what someone chooses to label it.

(now I'll close this really quick so nobody can argue with me! Laughing )

Last edited by Staybrite on Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Christian band?   Are you a Christian band? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 3:41 pm

Exactly.  I can totally see why Leroy Hamp wants to define War of Ages as a Christian band.  I can totally see why Michael Sweet does not want to define Stryper as a Christian band.  At the end of the day, as long as they keep cranking out music with lyrics that reflect Christ I don't care what they call themselves.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Christian band?   Are you a Christian band? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 4:11 pm

I certainly agree that everything we do must reflect Christ. Beyond that, not so much...

But in order to not argue, i'll stop there.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Christian band?   Are you a Christian band? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 4:13 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
Exactly.  I can totally see why Leroy Hamp wants to define War of Ages as a Christian band.  I can totally see why Michael Sweet does not want to define Stryper as a Christian band.  At the end of the day, as long as they keep cranking out music with lyrics that reflect Christ I don't care what they call themselves.

Unless they want to call themselves "Skid-Mark Rock".....I'm not listening to anything called that! Laughing

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23441
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Christian band?   Are you a Christian band? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 5:43 pm

Quote :
At the end of the day, as long as they keep cranking out music with lyrics that reflect Christ I don't care what they call themselves.

Neither does the world at large.  Whether you call yourself a Christian band or not, the world will still label you that if your lyrics strongly reflect Christ. 

Quote :
It should be way more about the character of the band members and the message of the music than what someone chooses to label it.

I totally agree.  I think that this applies to more than just music, though.  The character of the individual and message our lives present is more important than the art we create, the job we do, or the relationships we have.  If our character and the message that is heard and seen in our lives is truly focused on Christ, what we do will be affected by that.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Christian band?   Are you a Christian band? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 12, 2016 11:31 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Quote :
At the end of the day, as long as they keep cranking out music with lyrics that reflect Christ I don't care what they call themselves.

Neither does the world at large.  Whether you call yourself a Christian band or not, the world will still label you that if your lyrics strongly reflect Christ. 

Quote :
It should be way more about the character of the band members and the message of the music than what someone chooses to label it.

I totally agree.  I think that this applies to more than just music, though.  The character of the individual and message our lives present is more important than the art we create, the job we do, or the relationships we have.  If our character and the message that is heard and seen in our lives is truly focused on Christ, what we do will be affected by that.
Yep.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are you a Christian band?   Are you a Christian band? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are you a Christian band?
Page 1 of 1