Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Buying updated versions of CDs

Go down 
+9
rockerVu2
Guilty/Forgiven
Through The Dark Radio
ishmael81
oteis
crucifyd
Staybrite
Xid
alldatndensum
13 posters

Which do you do?
A) Keep both copies so my collection is complete! I must!!!!
Buying updated versions of CDs I_vote_lcap60%Buying updated versions of CDs I_vote_rcap
 60% [ 9 ]
B) Sell the extra copy that I don't need! Hey, it's my money!
Buying updated versions of CDs I_vote_lcap13%Buying updated versions of CDs I_vote_rcap
 13% [ 2 ]
C) I never buy any reissued album that I already have regardless of what they do to it.
Buying updated versions of CDs I_vote_lcap27%Buying updated versions of CDs I_vote_rcap
 27% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 15

AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23441
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Buying updated versions of CDs Empty
PostSubject: Buying updated versions of CDs   Buying updated versions of CDs I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2016 3:46 pm

Many of us have bought remastered versions of albums we may have bought years ago.  I know I have.  Now some collectors will keep both copies just to have their collections complete.  Others will sell their original since the sound quality isn't as nice and get their money back out of the more rare album.

Which do you do?

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5505
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Buying updated versions of CDs   Buying updated versions of CDs I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2016 4:15 pm

I get used to how it sounds so a reissue usually sounds weird to me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Buying updated versions of CDs   Buying updated versions of CDs I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2016 4:35 pm

I only have a few of these, and quite frankly I'm having a hard time letting go of the original copy...even though I only listen to the reissue.  (I selected A, but I'm far from a "completeist"

crucifyd

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2016-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Buying updated versions of CDs   Buying updated versions of CDs I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2016 5:03 pm

i'm one of the fools they're after, I have to buy everything...it drives me CRAZY! my prime example is Saint. I love Saint but man how many re-issues of re-issues of re-issues of WOS do we need? and for certain bands, Saint being one, I just buy everything they put out...what a sucker i am
Back to top Go down
http://www.crucifyd.com
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Buying updated versions of CDs   Buying updated versions of CDs I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2016 9:06 pm

With Saint, I just simply asked Rich to send me the updated files because I didn't want to have to rebuy them.  He did.  So, I have the original CD but the updated MP3s.  That works, I guess.

I am thinking of selling a few originals that I have like Eternal Ryte, Recon, Guardian's "First Watch", Mastadon's first one, a few Bride CDs, etc.  Some of the reissues are just about as rare.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
oteis

oteis

Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2013-08-20

PostSubject: Re: Buying updated versions of CDs   Buying updated versions of CDs I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2016 6:51 am

For me it's mostly the other way around. I only buy the remaster if i can't find an original print. If i do find one i keep the remaster.
Back to top Go down
https://ccmfocus.wordpress.com
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Buying updated versions of CDs   Buying updated versions of CDs I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2016 9:04 am

I had a hard time voting as it depends on the situation. There are some of these types of albums where I have the rerelease because I can't get an original. In some cases, I have the reissue because it has bonus tracks. In some cases, I have both...
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Buying updated versions of CDs   Buying updated versions of CDs I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2016 10:27 am

I'm the collector . . . I want them all!!!!  Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9927
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Buying updated versions of CDs   Buying updated versions of CDs I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2016 10:55 am

Alldat, keep me in mind if you ever wanna get rid of that First Watch. Been wanting that one for quite some time now.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16553
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Buying updated versions of CDs   Buying updated versions of CDs I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2016 11:09 am

I don't selll the extra copy of the CD, but never listen to it.
That's why I've decided not to buy updated versions of CDs anymore.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Buying updated versions of CDs   Buying updated versions of CDs I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2016 11:36 am

I don't feel as passionately as the first option, but that's basically me.  I keep the original, but rarely listen to it.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Buying updated versions of CDs   Buying updated versions of CDs I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2016 2:33 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
I had a hard time voting as it depends on the situation. There are some of these types of albums where I have the rerelease because I can't get an original.

I have more than a few of those myself.

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Buying updated versions of CDs   Buying updated versions of CDs I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2016 2:40 pm

I'm not usually fortunate enough to have an original AND a remake, but when I am I definitely keep both. Even if the original sucked production-wise.
Back to top Go down
mr.electric47

mr.electric47

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2015-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Buying updated versions of CDs   Buying updated versions of CDs I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 23, 2016 11:55 pm

I guess point A is me... I dont view myself as a completeist anymore...

But I rarely sell my old stuff....
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Buying updated versions of CDs   Buying updated versions of CDs I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 2:28 pm

I may have to get rid of some updated versions.  To be honest, I don't much care for the new Recon or Eternal Ryte (done in 2007) as they bring everything up to the point that the rhythm guitar is lost to the bass and bass drum.  All you've done is create loudness--not louder with clarity.  There has to be a balance as music from the 80's doesn't need to be slammed the same as music that is written to be played that way.

Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3493
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Buying updated versions of CDs   Buying updated versions of CDs I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 24, 2016 3:13 pm

I voted 'c' which best fits my outlook but it's a case-by-case sorta thing.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Buying updated versions of CDs   Buying updated versions of CDs I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2016 9:31 am

kerrick wrote:
I voted 'c' which best fits my outlook but it's a case-by-case sorta thing.

Like with Iron Maiden or My Silent Wake?  Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3493
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Buying updated versions of CDs   Buying updated versions of CDs I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 28, 2016 10:55 am

Hahahaha yeah pretty much...  rendeer
Back to top Go down
mr.electric47

mr.electric47

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2015-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Buying updated versions of CDs   Buying updated versions of CDs I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2016 12:05 am

alldatndensum wrote:
I may have to get rid of some updated versions.  To be honest, I don't much care for the new Recon or Eternal Ryte (done in 2007) as they bring everything up to the point that the rhythm guitar is lost to the bass and bass drum.  All you've done is create loudness--not louder with clarity.  There has to be a balance as music from the 80's doesn't need to be slammed the same as music that is written to be played that way.

what they call brick walling...
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Buying updated versions of CDs   Buying updated versions of CDs I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 29, 2016 6:24 am

That's exactly right, Mr.Electric47!  It is so loud overall that you feel like you just got slammed into a brick wall!

Remasters should be clear, louder but not maxed out, and the stereo field increased or excited.  This makes the album better without making too many changes in it.  When you bring out the low end too much or give it too much of a modern sound, it can actually make a long time fan of an album reject it because it just doesn't sound right.  If done well, remastering should increase the volume while just accentuating what is already there.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buying updated versions of CDs   Buying updated versions of CDs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Buying updated versions of CDs
Page 1 of 1