Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Only one album?

Go down 
+9
oteis
alldatndensum
Follower of Jesus
Pro-Zak
Through The Dark Radio
MikeInFla
Staybrite
kerrick
ishmael81
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 3:24 pm

This may be more appropriate in the General talk forum...

Does anybody have a band/artist (maybe more than 1) that you only like one album? Do you just have that one album or what?

I have very few hits collections, usually artists I have everything else and the hits disc has a rarity or something. but there are a handful of artists I don't even want the hits collection, I just want one album.

Boston - great example. I listen to their first album once a week or so. This is the album that made me realize there was more to music than Garth Brooks and Ricky Van Shelton *shudder* But everything after this album seems so mediocre to me... I read a reviewer once that said everything after the first Boston album was Boston trying to sound too much like Boston and getting lost in the process.

Social Distortion - another sorta good example. I love their 4th album, Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell. The whole album is amazing. The one before (Self Titled) it is okay and the one after it (White Light, White Heat, White Trash) is pretty good, but their first two and the three since White Light... are just... meh... so I love 2 (or 3) of their albums and the rest I don't care for...

What does everyone think? Also keep in mind that if I invest in one album by a band I have a mild OCD thing where I want all of them...
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3493
Registration date : 2013-07-17

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 4:08 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
Also keep in mind that if I invest in one album by a band I have a mild OCD thing where I want all of them...

I'm the same way...

Seventh Angel is kind of this way for me.  I generally really don't care for thrash metal at all.  I find it quite boring.  Their first two albums are thrash.  And while I do listen to them from time to time and they're actually pretty good for what they are, I just rarely find myself in the mood to listen.  However, their third album is doom/death and it is just fantastic.  I love it and listen to it pretty regularly!
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 4:23 pm

I certainly have a few of these myself.

Amos – “Lost Essence EP”,  For some reason I really like this EP but none of their other albums.

Def Leppard – “Pyromania”….(but actually I would also like to re-own High & Dry).  This is one of those bands that I really only enjoy these two albums and really nothing else.

Decyfer Down – They changed their sound a little for their “Scarecrow” album and I really dig it….cannot get into their earlier albums at all.
Fiona – “Heart Like a Gun”,  Fiona actually rocked a little harder on this album then she did on her other sugary pop albums…so this is the only one I keep in my collection.

Kix – “Blow My Fuse”, I’ve tried a few other albums from this band but just can’t seem to get into them.  But I dig this album.

Mark Lanegan – “Whiskey for the Holy Ghost”, this guy used to sing for one of my favorite grunge era Seattle bands (The Screaming Trees).  He has a fantastic voice but his solo career has been a bit spotty IMO.  This is the only album I like pretty much everything from.  I have a few (legal) downloaded singles from some of his other albums, but no other complete albums.

News Boys – “Born Again”, I’ve never been a big enough fan of this band to own an entire album, but I really dig this one for some reason.

The Posies – “Dear 23”, almost the exact same reason I only own one Mark Lanegan album…I have a few download tracks from two of their other albums, but I can’t listen to an entire album from the band except for this one.

Sammy Hagar – “Standing Hampton”,  This seems to be the only album by the red rocker that was mostly filled with throw-away tracks.  I’ve owned other albums and found myself only liking one or two songs at most…but not this album, it is great all the way through.

Sound Garden – “Badmotorfinger”, same exact reason as the Sammy Hagar album.

I also tend to like more than one album from the bands that I do like, so even though it looks like I have a lot of "single" albums, I tend to have much more complete (or mostly complete) discographies for other bands.

Staybrite

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 4:27 pm

ishmael81 wrote:

Social Distortion - another sorta good example. I love their 4th album, Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell. The whole album is amazing. The one before (Self Titled) it is okay and the one after it (White Light, White Heat, White Trash) is pretty good, but their first two and the three since White Light... are just... meh... so I love 2 (or 3) of their albums and the rest I don't care for...

I really liked "Prison Bound", "The Self-titled", and "Somewhere Between Heaven & Hell" the best, didn't care for much of anything that I heard after that. I remember one of friends gave me a copy of one of Mike Ness' solo albums that was pretty decent as well (but I don't remember which one).
If forced to chose the bands best album I would certainly go with "Somewhere.."

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3111
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 4:34 pm

GNR Appetite. Don't care for the others. Not that they are bad, but that one is the best. I would have to agree with Boston but I do tend to listen to 3rd Stage a little bit more lately since getting it on vinyl last year. but the debut was all I owned for the longest time. I had the others and then when "Walk On" came out I owned it and tried to like it but ended up trading it off. Then Corporate America came out and it was terrible (as was the one they released last year using a drum machine). So I have the debut and 3rd Stage but the debut is a classic. 

And Standing Hampton is pretty awesome. I found the self titled solo from 87 on vinyl and bought it but really only Eagles Fly and Give To Live are worth listening to. Standing Hampton is hands down the best, the rest of the albums are filler and I will stick with a GH package when it comes to Sammy.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 4:35 pm

kerrick wrote:

Seventh Angel is kind of this way for me.  I generally really don't care for thrash metal at all.  I find it quite boring. 

affraid

Only one album? Latest?cb=20131005072557
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3493
Registration date : 2013-07-17

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 4:53 pm

I know, I know, thrash is quite popular around here!  It just doesn't do it for me...  Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Pro-Zak

Pro-Zak

Number of posts : 389
Registration date : 2013-08-03

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 6:48 pm

Third Day - Conspiracy #5

Love it! But not much else...
Back to top Go down
Pro-Zak

Pro-Zak

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2016 6:49 pm

Through The Dark Radio wrote:
kerrick wrote:

Seventh Angel is kind of this way for me.  I generally really don't care for thrash metal at all.  I find it quite boring. 

affraid

"Kerrick the Heretic!" Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2016 12:09 pm

Tourniquet - Vanishing Lessons
Precious Death - Southpaw
Slaughter - Stick It To Ya
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23441
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2016 8:20 am

Candlemass wrote:

For a long time, I didn't like that one!  However, it grew on me.  The only album of theirs that I don't really care for of Third Day's their newest ones "Lead Us Back:  Songs Of Worship" and the previous "Miracle".  I hope when they hit the studio again that they do a new southern rock album.  However, with the success of their newest worship disc and the previous "Offerings" and "Offerings II", I could see them taking a swing at staying with this current track.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Pro-Zak

Pro-Zak

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2016 10:53 am

You can tune into just about any CCM station at any point of the day and you have about an 80% chance of hearing Third Day!
Back to top Go down
Pro-Zak

Pro-Zak

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2016 10:55 am

alldatndensum wrote:
Candlemass wrote:

For a long time, I didn't like that one!  However, it grew on me. 

Man, this lp smokes! Loved it at first spin, had they continued in this direction I would've been a huge fan of theirs. They were on the cover of HM for this one...
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2016 2:14 pm

That album was a one album fluke.  They only had one song get any radio attention, so you can't blame them for backing off the edgier sound.  I feel that's why they've changed their sound on the last two albums:  they sell more albums with regular radio hits.  After a while, you learn what your fans really want to hear.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
oteis

oteis

Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2013-08-20

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2016 5:22 pm

kerrick wrote:

I'm the same way...

Seventh Angel is kind of this way for me.  I generally really don't care for thrash metal at all.  I find it quite boring.  Their first two albums are thrash.  And while I do listen to them from time to time and they're actually pretty good for what they are, I just rarely find myself in the mood to listen.  However, their third album is doom/death and it is just fantastic.  I love it and listen to it pretty regularly!
Wow, that's a shocker! The Torment was one heck of a fantastic thrash album and Lament For The Weary is just perfect! Their third album was solid, but did not have the same click with me like Lament did.
Back to top Go down
https://ccmfocus.wordpress.com
ishmael81

ishmael81

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2016 10:20 am

Staybrite wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:

I really liked "Prison Bound", "The Self-titled", and "Somewhere Between Heaven & Hell" the best, didn't care for much of anything that I heard after that.  I remember one of friends gave me a copy of one of Mike Ness' solo albums that was pretty decent as well (but I don't remember which one).
If forced to chose the bands best album I would certainly go with "Somewhere.."

Definitely. Somewhere is a great album. I don't understand when a band has one album that is just terrific and then the others just aren't even close, unless they change styles drastically... But Social D has sounded about the same since their second album. Mommy's Little Monster was pretty straight up punk but after that, they really incorporated the rockabilly thing.
Back to top Go down
MadMap

MadMap

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2016-02-12

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2016 8:49 am

"Temptation Come My Way" by The Showdown.

I don't like the growling, screaming vocals on their other releases, but this remains one of my favorite albums from the late 2000s. They had a follow-up EP with some unreleased tracks, but soon went back to their harder sound...and I checked back out.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2016 4:02 pm

MadMap wrote:

I don't like the growling, screaming vocals on their other releases, but this remains one of my favorite albums from the late 2000s. They had a follow-up EP with some unreleased tracks, but soon went back to their harder sound...and I checked back out.

I forgot that I only have that album by the Showdown as well....and for exactly the same reason as you. I didn't know about the EP, might have to check that out.

oteis

Number of posts : 369
Registration date : 2013-08-20

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2016 6:54 pm

Staybrite wrote:
MadMap wrote:

I forgot that I only have that album by the Showdown as well....and for exactly the same reason as you.  I didn't know about the EP, might have to check that out.
Interesting. I only have their Chorus Of Obliteration album. Never liked any of the others.
Back to top Go down
https://ccmfocus.wordpress.com
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2016 7:08 pm

Deliverance - Deliverance. The rest of their albums are pretty good, but the s/t is the only one I really like… possibly because of the huuuuge bass sound.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 7:16 am

Driven wrote:
Deliverance - Deliverance. The rest of their albums are pretty good, but the s/t is the only one I really like… possibly because of the huuuuge bass sound.

On the other albums, the bass tends to be a lot busier to the point of almost being progressive in nature.  I figured that you'd like that.

With Deliverance, I don't care for the first three albums much but like everything else.

Back to top Go down
metaldude

metaldude

Number of posts : 790
Registration date : 2014-05-07

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 8:42 am

Narnia - Course of a Generation. I love this album, but I can't really get into the others I have heard.
Seventh Avenue - Terium. I have all their albums and Terium is the only one I listen to.
Back to top Go down

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2016 9:41 am

Novella- "One Big Sky"
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 10:14 am

metaldude wrote:
Narnia - Course of a Generation. I love this album, but I can't really get into the others I have heard.
Seventh Avenue - Terium. I have all their albums and Terium is the only one I listen to.

Based on the samples I listened to after hearing how good German's solo disc sounds, I agree. Never been a fan of Christian Rivel despite him being in about 42 different bands.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2016 11:18 am

ishmael81 wrote:
metaldude wrote:

Based on the samples I listened to after hearing how good German's solo disc sounds, I agree. Never been a fan of Christian Rivel despite him being in about 42 different bands.

Actually, it's Jani Stefanovic that's in 42 different bands.  Christian is only in about 35 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Only one album? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Only one album?   Only one album? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Only one album?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next