For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share | 
 

 Trying my hand at mastering

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 17565
Age : 47
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:26 am

Today, I am redoing The Brave remaster.  Again, the bass takes out parts that I want to hear.  So, we will shoot for less overall volume and more dynamic range while increasing the low end some.

_________________




I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Fundy

avatar

Number of posts : 3568
Age : 43
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:49 pm

Just downloading Fire And Love now...

_________________
My Christian Metal Website.........
Silence Is Madness

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
alldatndensum
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 17565
Age : 47
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   Sat Jan 23, 2016 5:19 pm

I hope everyone is pleased with these.  I wish I could do more, but this is just practice.

_________________




I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Fundy

avatar

Number of posts : 3568
Age : 43
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:46 pm

Loving what I've heard so far, hopefully listen to more this afternoon...

_________________
My Christian Metal Website.........
Silence Is Madness

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
alldatndensum
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 17565
Age : 47
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:27 am

I will be playing around with some other classic releases if anyone is interested.  Just drop me a note in here about what you would want to hear.  If I have it, I might just do it.

_________________




I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
alldatndensum
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 17565
Age : 47
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:17 pm

I may play around with the original Rev Seven releases "The Unveiling" and "Hell & Back".  I prefer the feel of the originals better than the Rev Seven reissues as it was a real band back then.  The albums had more of an Ozzy feel than what you heard later on.

_________________




I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
alldatndensum
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 17565
Age : 47
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   Sat Jan 30, 2016 9:22 am

I am going to listen to my versions of both "Hell & Back" and "The Unveiling".  These were released in cassette only form back in 1994 an d1991 respectively.  You might be more familiar with the latter re-recorded "Heavy Laden Vol. 1" album that Bill Menchen released.

_________________




I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
alldatndensum
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 17565
Age : 47
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   Sat Jan 30, 2016 4:45 pm

I have to say that my improvements to the Rev Seven original releases "The Unveiling" and "Hell & Back" are phenomenal!  These don't sound like early demos anymore.  These sound a lot more like they were professionally done albums with sonics that would compete with modern releases by Saint, Bloodgood, and maybe even Stryper.  These versions are higher in pitch and sound a lot more like Jake E. Lee era Ozzy.  If you want to hear them, I will add them to my Dropbox.

_________________




I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

avatar

Number of posts : 17624
Age : 49
Localisation : Seattle
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:46 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
I have to say that my improvements to the Rev Seven original releases "The Unveiling" and "Hell & Back" are phenomenal!  These don't sound like early demos anymore.  These sound a lot more like they were professionally done albums with sonics that would compete with modern releases by Saint, Bloodgood, and maybe even Stryper.  These versions are higher in pitch and sound a lot more like Jake E. Lee era Ozzy.  If you want to hear them, I will add them to my Dropbox.

I definitely want to hear them.  When I got the Rev 7 rerecords I dug them, but was a little surprised to find out that Bill had changed some of the lyrics.  Wasn't someone else also the original singer?

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 17565
Age : 47
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   Sun Jan 31, 2016 4:42 pm

No, Bill was the singer.  On "The Unveiling", however, his cousin Bruce Menchen was credited as the lead guitarist.  So, the guitar solos and riffs are also a tad different.  Once you hear the originals, you really won't want to hear the remakes.

One of the songs that comes to mind lyrically is "Chains".  On the newer version, the chorus goes"

Chains, chains, chains
A feeling you know so well
Chains, chains, chains
Taking you straight to hell

While I feel that this is a good picture of our feelings enslaving us, I like the original lyrics more:

Chains, chains, chains
Making your soul for sale
Chains, chains, chains
Taking you straight to hell

To me, the original just has more power as it shows that the chains we wear are our own fault.  We sell our soul figuratively by rejecting Jesus.  We are bought, or redeemed, when we accept Christ.  Either way, we are giving up our very soul to Hell by living free from Jesus or living free from sin/death by giving it to Jesus.

Of course, that is just my opinion.  I don't think that there is anything doctrinally wrong with what Bill sang either way.  I've only pointed out my own preference.

_________________




I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
alldatndensum
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 17565
Age : 47
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:25 pm

I've uploaded the Rev Seven albums and have sent them out to Jim, Gary, and Yvonne.  If you want to hear them and have a copy of Heavy Laden Vol. 1 by Rev Seven, let me know and I will get them to you.  You will need 7Zip File Manager to open them.

I am thinking that maybe Scarlet Red needs updating next.  What do you all think?

_________________




I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

avatar

Number of posts : 17624
Age : 49
Localisation : Seattle
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:54 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
...

I am thinking that maybe Scarlet Red needs updating next.  What do you all think?


Oh yes, most certainly!

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 17565
Age : 47
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:31 pm

Anyone else want to hear the Guardian, The Brave, or Rev Seven remasters?

_________________




I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

avatar

Number of posts : 14408
Age : 88
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:36 am

My ears tell me they are peased with what they hear.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 17565
Age : 47
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:35 am

I am going to work on these titles next:


Xalt - Dark War (My CD-R copy was made from an original cassette release in 2002 from a pristine copy then owned by Pastor Bob Beeman)

Bloodgood - All Stand Together

Scarlet Red - Don't Dance With Danger

Arsenal - Amored Choir

Bride - Kinetic Faith

If you have any requests, let me know and I will see what I can do.

_________________




I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
alldatndensum
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 17565
Age : 47
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:44 pm

I've got to get some stuff uploaded, but I have FINISHED my Arsenal, Scarlet Red, and Xalt remasters.  I still want to the Bride album and maybe toy with some Stairway.  Taking some old favorites and adding more modern sonics is bringing some of these classics and breathing new life into them for me.

_________________




I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
My Awesome Timothy



Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2016-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:56 am

Have you got Rivera Bomma latest album?  Good album with terrible production.  If you've got that one could I request you look at that one please?   Thumbs Up
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 17565
Age : 47
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:07 am

I may get around to that.  Right now, though, I am more interested in old classics that need polishing to make them sound a bit better.  While they sounded amazing to us then, they sound a bit tired now.

I want to check my version of Bride's "Kinetic Faith" and then I am doing the last two Leviticus albums. 

I have already checked my versions of Arsenal and Scarlet Red.  Both sound much bigger than before.

_________________




I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
MadMap

avatar

Number of posts : 24
Age : 40
Registration date : 2016-02-12

PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:40 am

Hey, could I get Guardian and Brave from you, too? I am really digging your work on these. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

avatar

Number of posts : 1655
Age : 46
Localisation : Panama City, FL
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:54 am

Need a remaster of Die Happy.... I am hoping that this is something Roxx will do in the future, all I have of those are the downloads from iTunes and I would like the actual CD's (or vinyl if they ever do reissue them in that manner).
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

avatar

Number of posts : 17624
Age : 49
Localisation : Seattle
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:37 am

MikeInFla wrote:
Need a remaster of Die Happy.... I am hoping that this is something Roxx will do in the future, all I have of those are the downloads from iTunes and I would like the actual CD's (or vinyl if they ever do reissue them in that manner).

I have all three of their albums on CD, but would love to hear it get remastered and reissued. If they put all 3 remastered albums on 2 discs I would have no problem buying them again.

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
BearDad

avatar

Number of posts : 2044
Localisation : Pierre, SD
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: You're flirting with disaster alldat   Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:37 pm

Alldat, Some are going to tell me to go back to my corner and shut up, but if you are remastering and giving away music that is not out of print you are breaking copyright laws and could get this forum in trouble. Except for your own personal use, such as for back up or to replace your existing library, reproducing another's work is illegal, even if you aren't doing it for profit, and it is unethical and, to some (including me), immoral. The only reason I grabbed the L.O.U.D. remasters from you is because you said they were OOP, something I confirmed with Google searches that didn't turn up any commercial results.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

avatar

Number of posts : 17624
Age : 49
Localisation : Seattle
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:53 pm

BearDad wrote:
Alldat, Some are going to tell me to go back to my corner and shut up, but if you are remastering and giving away music that is not out of print you are breaking copyright laws and could get this forum in trouble. Except for your own personal use, such as for back up or to replace your existing library, reproducing another's work is illegal, even if you aren't doing it for profit, and it is unethical and, to some (including me), immoral. The only reason I grabbed the L.O.U.D. remasters from you is because you said they were OOP, something I confirmed with Google searches that didn't turn up any commercial results.

I think I would have to agree (at least to some extent). If I was sharing remasters I would certainly keep it to OOP material.

_________________
"I used to be indecisive.......... Now I'm not sure."
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
avatar

Number of posts : 17565
Age : 47
Localisation : Tennessee
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:27 pm

If you guys feel that way, then I will quit sharing these.  So, far, I've stuck to stuff that was out of print.  I also asked that folks own a copy of the original.  This way, I wouldn't be hurting either an artist or label as you already had it.

_________________




I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
BearDad

avatar

Number of posts : 2044
Localisation : Pierre, SD
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:36 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
If you guys feel that way, then I will quit sharing these.  So, far, I've stuck to stuff that was out of print.  I also asked that folks own a copy of the original.  This way, I wouldn't be hurting either an artist or label as you already had it.

I get you, and didn't want to sound judgmental. I just saw people starting to request new releases, one only a couple of years old! So I thought I had better say something before things got out of hand.  I think it's great that you have a hobby and are enjoying it, and I think you do excellent work. The L.O.U.D. tracks sound very professionally done, though I've never heard the originals for comparison, so ... <shrugging>.

Like I indicated, and have said in the past, I have no qualms about giving away or receiving copies of out of print stuff, or works that were never commercially available to begin with. And I know you previously asked that folks own a copy of the original, although I'm not convinced I agree with that. I'm not sure I disagree with it either, but I think someone in a legal position, such as an artist's lawyer, might consider you an enabler in that respect. 

I'm sorry if I'm being a wet blanket. Sad  It seems to be a common thread in my life. I just don't want to see anyone in the only forum I really care about being a part of put himself, and the forum, in a compromising position. After all, the forum is public, and as Christians we must strive to set an example to the unbelieving world.

OK, stepping of the soap box now! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Trying my hand at mastering   

Back to top Go down
 
Trying my hand at mastering
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Similar topics
-
» Trying my hand at mastering
» Raw Power mastering on Sundazed LP
» I reach for your hand...
» Dennis Chambers on Billy's Open Handed Playing
» Ron Asheton's Hoyer guitar

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: