Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Who's got the new Stryper?

Go down 
+14
Follower of Jesus
metaldude
bassdude
KellyM
oteis
rich71
rockerVu2
Guilty/Forgiven
MikeInFla
Xid
Fundy
Staybrite
StarPilot
alldatndensum
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Who's got the new Stryper? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who's got the new Stryper?   Who's got the new Stryper? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 11:00 am

I decided to go ahead and get it even though I probably won't listen to it a whole lot because it is a killer album and I want to support these guys making more music.  I can't really tell you what song is my favorite because they are all really solid songs.  I'm kinda with alldat on the cover--it is really well done, but it seems like it is being overdone.  Strange thing is I can only think of two other Christian bands who have covered it (Deliverance and Frost Like Ashes;  I know Troglodyte Dawn did something of a cover but I think he changed the words a bit, so I guess that's kind of three.)  "Yahweh" makes a perfect opener!  Man, can Michael still nail those screams.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Who's got the new Stryper?   Who's got the new Stryper? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 2:43 pm

Troglodyte Dawn covered it (and the lyrics aren't a massive departure).  Also covered by F.O.G.....and probably countless secular bands.

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Who's got the new Stryper?   Who's got the new Stryper? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 3:41 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Troglodyte Dawn covered it (and the lyrics aren't a massive departure).

Hey, man.  Whatcha doing in my sleeping bag?

I was looking for my Black Sabbath album, which I found!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who's got the new Stryper?   Who's got the new Stryper? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 5:32 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
You don't like "Big Screen Lies"?  I would put that on the list of songs that are amazing to me.  I also like that they still have a message but are pinpointing one problem in our society through the eyes of a Christian.  We as a society pretty much accept/believe whatever is shown to us on the big screen of movies, tv, internet, etc.  There is so much misinformation about the gospel, how to live, how to treat our fellow man, etc.  While I don't think that watching movies and tv is wrong, I do think that it is dangerous if we are allowing the messages contained within to influences and direct our lives more than we do the Holy Spirit.

I love Big Screen Lies..definitely one of my favorite on the album. That and Pride.

Great musically and lyrically, and I agree with what you said about it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Who's got the new Stryper?   Who's got the new Stryper? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 27, 2015 5:37 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
I also don't care for the "After Forever" cover.  While the boys handled it well, it has just been overdone.  I know that F.O.G. did it.  Didn't Deliverance?  I know there is someone other than Stryper.  Just leave it alone and do something else.  Of course, those other bands don't have the following of Stryper and their versions were heard by a much smaller cross section of fans.

Other than not really caring for the cover tune, the album as a whole is amazing.

I didn't like the original version, and I don't like Stryper's version. Just such an overrated song in my opinion. Of course, I always thought Ozzy era Sabbath was vastly overrated as a whole.

Just like how I felt about The Covering (I loathe The Covering except for Heaven and Hell and God), it isn't their version I necessarily don't like, it's the song in general. No matter who is doing it.
Back to top Go down
rich71

Number of posts : 346
Registration date : 2009-05-11

PostSubject: Re: Who's got the new Stryper?   Who's got the new Stryper? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2015 2:47 am

Someone sent Fallen to me as a gift. I too think its thier best album to date. One of my favorite songs on it for me is one that was mentioned in a few losts up as being one which wouldn't stand the test of time and that ok. Love You Like I Do. I also like Let Thier Be Light, King of Kings, Fallen, Pride, and Yahweh.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Who's got the new Stryper?   Who's got the new Stryper? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2015 11:49 am

Through The Dark Radio wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

Hey man that's "my" Black Sabbath record.

Is not man.

Is so.

Is not man.

Is so man.

That's my record, my old lady ripped it off.

Hey, if you remember man she was my old lady when she ripped it off man.

Through The Dark Radio

PostSubject: Re: Who's got the new Stryper?   Who's got the new Stryper? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2015 12:13 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Staybrite wrote:

Hey man that's "my" Black Sabbath record.

Is not man.

Is so.

Is not man.

Is so man.

That's my record, my old lady ripped it off.

Hey, if you remember man she was my old lady when she ripped it off man.
lol!
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Who's got the new Stryper?   Who's got the new Stryper? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 28, 2015 1:41 pm

Laughing

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Who's got the new Stryper?   Who's got the new Stryper? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2015 3:01 pm

Ok, I have firmly decided that this is one fantastic Stryper album.  I actually find that I enjoy it immensely more when I omit the B.S. cover from the playlist.  It's still 11 tracks, a full album...but it seems to flow better to me without the Sabbath song in it.

I'm still not ready to claim that it is better than NMHTP, but it is at least as good.

Through The Dark Radio

PostSubject: Re: Who's got the new Stryper?   Who's got the new Stryper? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 29, 2015 3:10 pm

Maybe they should have covered Paranoid instead Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Who's got the new Stryper?   Who's got the new Stryper? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 30, 2015 2:41 pm

Maybe they should have covered Paranoid instead Very Happy

Just as long as they don't cover Snowblind or Sweet Leaf!  Laughing

Number of posts : 3869
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Who's got the new Stryper?   Who's got the new Stryper? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 31, 2015 1:06 pm

Being a big BS fan (in my old life) and a Christian now, I think they did a good job with the cover.

I've never been a big Stryper fan (mostly because I was turned off by their 80s girl days) but these last 2 albums have been their best.

MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3111
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Who's got the new Stryper?   Who's got the new Stryper? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2015 6:37 am

We are such a diverse crowd here. My two favorite tracks are After Forever and Pride. I never liked Stryper ballads so that to me is the only track I skip (on every Stryper album I skip the ballads).
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Who's got the new Stryper?   Who's got the new Stryper? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2015 3:26 pm

MikeInFla wrote:
We are such a diverse crowd here. My two favorite tracks are After Forever and Pride. I never liked Stryper ballads so that to me is the only track I skip (on every Stryper album I skip the ballads).

Diverse indeed as "Pride" and "After Forever" are probably my least favorite songs on the album.  I have never liked Stryper ballads either, but this one seems to work for me.  Go figure.

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Who's got the new Stryper?   Who's got the new Stryper? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 02, 2015 3:50 pm

It is an excellent CD that I find absolutely no fault with. None-the-less I am having a hard time getting into it.  Too many new CDs at once I guess (WASP, Stryper, and Iron Maiden, and soon to arrive WASP, Signus Regis, Queensryche, and Diviner).
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

PostSubject: Re: Who's got the new Stryper?   Who's got the new Stryper? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 05, 2015 5:02 pm

I actually liked the Black Sabbath cover.  I thought it was done well while still having the Stryper feel.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who's got the new Stryper?   Who's got the new Stryper? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Who's got the new Stryper?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2