Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Thrash metal

Go down 
+5
MikeInFla
Staybrite
Fundy
kerrick
ishmael81
9 posters
AuthorMessage
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Thrash metal Empty
PostSubject: Thrash metal   Thrash metal I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 3:34 pm

Any thrash fans? I've been a casual fan of classic metal for a long time and never really gave thrash much of a chance.

Anyway,flash to about 6 weeks ago when I finally got my hands on the Crucified's complete collection. So good! And I got Minier's solo demo for about $10 and started listening to my Join the Dead EP again.

Anyone have any recommendations for thrash that may be similiar to that?
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2013-07-17

Thrash metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thrash metal   Thrash metal I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 3:43 pm

I've never been a big thrash fan, though I do enjoy Seventh Angel.  (Their first two albums are thrash, whereas their third is doom/death which I like much better.)

Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5327
Registration date : 2007-05-04

Thrash metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thrash metal   Thrash metal I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 4:06 pm

Years ago I dabbled in the thrash metal scene, but other than Tourniquet I don't listen to any of it any more.  I guess as I get older I fine tune my style to what I absolutely love, and that is well written melodic hard rock/metal.

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Thrash metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thrash metal   Thrash metal I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 4:17 pm

I enjoy a few songs here and there (and it small amounts) but overall not much of a thrash fan.

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3117
Registration date : 2012-03-18

Thrash metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thrash metal   Thrash metal I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 5:09 pm

What is VR considered? When it first came out i hated it but mainly because I like screaming vocalists, not growling ones. But since the reissues came out I have learned to appreciate the first 2 albums and listen to them from time to time. I really enjoy Warfare & Can't Get Out.... Never got into Tourniquet but I did have Stop The Bleeding on cassette when it was first released. I also have some Deliverance and to me they are just OK, not bad but OK and i have to be in the mood for them (I have listened to Stay maybe 2 times since I got the reissue and Hear What I Say I played the first 3-4 weeks after it came out but haven't played it since). I can also tolerate some Ultimatum. I really like Heart Of Metal because it has the best songs on one album.

But mainly I stick to bands that are more alongs the lines of Holy Solider or Fear Not.
Back to top Go down

Thrash metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thrash metal   Thrash metal I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 10:15 pm

Metallica ok...slayer sucks..megadeth rules..anthrax is fun..and that sums it up for me...
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Thrash metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thrash metal   Thrash metal I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 10:57 pm

I've been a HUGE thrash metal fan since the day I heard "Seek and Destroy" by Metallica over at a friends house when I was like 14 or 15.  Hetfield and Co were brand new and relatively unknown still.

I was hangin at my buddy's house listening to metal. We were jamming to the metal we loved most -Judas Priest, Van Halen, Motley Crue, Poison, and other typical 80s rock of the time...

A friend of ours, Bobby Vessels, used to make trips to Hollywood to score drugs and new tapes of up-and-coming metal bands (I was interested in the music, NOT the drugs -that was never my thing).  He'd make compilations for us from demo tapes and new bands that were trying to make it big on the Hollywood Blvd scene of the 80s.

It was on one of those mix tapes that he put that early song by Metallica.  Soon as it came on, we both literally looked at each other in shock. We were hearing what would be one of my all time favorite metal genres. 
I went on to be fanatical about Anthrax, Megadeth, Testament, Motorhead, Suicidal Tendencies and so on.
So when I came to faith and discovered Christian thrash... I was blown away. Eternal Decision, Deliverance, Seventh Angel, the first Living Sacrifice album, Temple of Blood, the Crucified, Oil, early Tourniquet, Believer, The Moshketeers, Detritus, Sacrament, Jesus Freaks, Thresher, Die Happy, Betrayal, Martyr... and so many more.  These bands get the most play out of all my albums.
Just love em !!
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Thrash metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thrash metal   Thrash metal I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2015 10:57 pm

PS, I agree- Slayer sucks ! Big time.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

Thrash metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thrash metal   Thrash metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 7:46 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
I've been a HUGE thrash metal fan since the day I heard "Seek and Destroy" by Metallica over at a friends house when I was like 14 or 15.  Hetfield and Co were brand new and relatively unknown still.

I was hangin at my buddy's house listening to metal. We were jamming to the metal we loved most -Judas Priest, Van Halen, Motley Crue, Poison, and other typical 80s rock of the time...

A friend of ours, Bobby Vessels, used to make trips to Hollywood to score drugs and new tapes of up-and-coming metal bands (I was interested in the music, NOT the drugs -that was never my thing).  He'd make compilations for us from demo tapes and new bands that were trying to make it big on the Hollywood Blvd scene of the 80s.

It was on one of those mix tapes that he put that early song by Metallica.  Soon as it came on, we both literally looked at each other in shock. We were hearing what would be one of my all time favorite metal genres. 
I went on to be fanatical about Anthrax, Megadeth, Testament, Motorhead, Suicidal Tendencies and so on.
So when I came to faith and discovered Christian thrash... I was blown away. ... and so many more.  These bands get the most play out of all my albums.
Just love em !!

Funny. I found Metallica about the same time I found the Sex Pistols and the Ramones. I think that's why I like metal that's punk influenced (and vice versa...).

So you listed several bands there - I'm familiar with the "secular" ones.

Tell me more about:
Eternal Decision
Oil
Believer
The Moshketeers
Jesus Freaks
Thresher
Betrayal
Martyr

I've heard of the others.
Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2559
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Thrash metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thrash metal   Thrash metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 8:26 am

Not a big thrash head but do enjoy some of the older stuff. Mainly I will sometimes pull out VR's Human Sacrifice and Once Dead, Believer's Extraction from Mortality as well as Sanity Obscure,and the original Deliverance era.
Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2559
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Thrash metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thrash metal   Thrash metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 8:32 am

ishmael8 wrote:

Believer

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Believer_%28band%29

http://www.nolifetilmetal.com/believer.htm

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Thrash metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thrash metal   Thrash metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 9:11 am

Quote :
So you listed several bands there - I'm familiar with the "secular" ones.

Tell me more about:
Eternal Decision
Oil
Believer
The Moshketeers
Jesus Freaks
Thresher
Betrayal
Martyr

X-Sinner is to AC/DC as Eternal Decision is to Metallica

Oil was Ron Rinehart's band (he previously sang for Dark Angel back in the day) 

Believer has some videos just above, courtesy of HardKore  Very Happy

Though they have a funny name, the Moshketeers SHRED ! Started out as a regular Metal band in the 80s under the name RAPTURE. They eventually went full on thrash and shared the stage with Testament even though they're very vocal about the faith.

Jesus Freaks are another band that had many similarities to early Metallica... perhaps a better band I forgot to mention is Boarders. Boarders started out as a Megadeth cover band, then the members came to faith and began releasing Christian themed albums with that Megadeth sound.

Thresher is FANTASTICO !! Another band that started in the 80s.  They went by Lazarus back then.  Their material is hard to find, but worth it if you do find them.  If you like Deliverance, Metallica and Anthrax, you'd dig this band.

Betrayal were band members of Martyr -Guitarist Marcus was a satanist who came to faith and formed the band Marytr (lots of lyrics warning of the dangers of the occult). Many influences in sound like Testament, Slayer, and Anthrax.  I actually like Martyr a little more than Betrayal.

If you'd like a compilation of songs from all these bands, I'll be glad to rip one and upload it for you. Just lemme know.
Back to top Go down
metaldude

metaldude

Number of posts : 790
Registration date : 2014-05-07

Thrash metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thrash metal   Thrash metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 9:37 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
I've been a HUGE thrash metal fan since the day I heard "Seek and Destroy" by Metallica...

Same here. Metallica changed it all for me. No more hairspray and spandex, there was a new game in town. I've been a mosh head since.

G/F named some good ones, but here are some others that I like.

Arnion

FreaKings

Hating Evil

Caracao de Heroi - lyrics aren't in English, but they are Christian and this album SMOKES!!! It's also available for free download from the band.

Back to top Go down
metaldude

metaldude

Number of posts : 790
Registration date : 2014-05-07

Thrash metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thrash metal   Thrash metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 9:45 am

kerrick wrote:
I've never been a big thrash fan, though I do enjoy Seventh Angel.  (Their first two albums are thrash, whereas their third is doom/death which I like much better.)

Hey, no dissin' The Torment. We were listening to that when you were still watchin' Blues Clues.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Thrash metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thrash metal   Thrash metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 10:18 am

Speaking of Metallica the #2 selling item at Record Store Day was a cassette. This one:

Thrash metal Metallica-Tape-630x420

It is an excellent release! No, I don't have it but it is on YouTube. If you want to hear it just go to YouTube and search for "No Life Til Leather". I didn't see it when I went to RSD but I forgot all about it until I saw it mentioned on another forum about RSD. I believe this will eventually be released on CD.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2013-07-17

Thrash metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thrash metal   Thrash metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 10:46 am

metaldude wrote:
kerrick wrote:

Hey, no dissin' The Torment. We were listening to that when you were still watchin' Blues Clues.

Punk!   Razz   I never watched Blues Clues, FOR YOUR INFORMATION!  I was born in '87...  I was a Sesame Street and Mr. Rogers kid.  BC came out much later.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Thrash metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thrash metal   Thrash metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 11:42 am

I can't believe I forgot to list ARNION - omg, totally one of my fav thrashers !!
Good call there !
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Thrash metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thrash metal   Thrash metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 3:02 pm

What about Ultimatum?  I really dig several of their songs.

Staybrite

Thrash metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thrash metal   Thrash metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 3:12 pm

I went to school with the bass player of the Seattle thrash/speed metal band "Panic".  They got a record deal with Metal Blade records but could never manage to garner the success of their contemporaries and only put out two albums on the major label before calling it quits.  Very much a secular band.

Number of posts : 3874
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Thrash metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thrash metal   Thrash metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 3:18 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
I've been a HUGE thrash metal fan since the day I heard "Seek and Destroy" by Metallica over at a friends house when I was like 14 or 15.

Same here except I was a bit older and it was Ride the Lightning for me (anyone else get to hear a Z-Rock satellite fed station?). Unlike Ozzy though (coming mostly from Top 40), it took a couple weeks for the CD to grow on me and appreciate it (coming from Ozzy and NWOBHM). One of the few times in my life I grew to like a band over time (which for me is just a couple weeks since I normally can tell on first listen whether it's a keeper or not).

However, I'm more like Fundy now and hardly listen to thrash. Just too tiring mostly (or annoying if it's playing in the background) and vocalists aren't as good as they used to be. If I can't pick up the lyrics easy enough (for any band), game over.

FWIW, I wouldn't have considered Eternal Decision thrash even though they tried to have the Metallica sound.

MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Thrash metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thrash metal   Thrash metal I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2015 4:17 pm

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Thrash metal Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thrash metal   Thrash metal I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thrash metal
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: