Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Only in Professional Sports

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

Only in Professional Sports Empty
PostSubject: Only in Professional Sports   Only in Professional Sports I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 11:09 am

CNN headline today:  Chris Borland Retires from NFL at Age 24 

According to the article, Chris played for the 49ers for one year, starting only eight games, for which he earned over $1 million, and now after doing extensive research on the subject, as well as discussing the matter with family members, former players, and health professionals, he has now come to the conclusion that he doesn't like the potential for concussions and the health concerns they raise. He was not injured last year, nor has any health professional told him he has suffered a concussion. In fact, he has only suffered two concussions his entire life: one as far back as the eighth grade (and that not a football injury), and the other in college.

To all this I say, "smart move," even if it is a bit late -- the potential for concussion was just as prevalent in high school and college ... perhaps even more so -- where were his concerns then? I know, with age comes wisdom, but concussions in football and other violent sports have been a major concern for a number or years now; surely he heard the warnings long before now. Oh well, that's not my point here, as none of the above is really what caught my interest.  What struck my "wait ... what?" nerve is what his departure is being called: "retirement."

Wait ... what!?  scratch

I have been working at my current job for over fifteen years, and yet if I were to leave today, no matter how noble the reason, it would not be considered “retiring”, it would be called “resigning” or even “quitting.” I can't retire for another 10 years, and even then it would be considered "early retirement" with restrictions and reduced benefits.  I wonder how my employer would react if I declare that I wish to retire early because I am afraid of getting Carpal Tunnel, worsening eyesight, and other health issues related to using a computer all day.  Scratch that ... I know how my employer would react! 

What is more, as a professional athlete Chris signed a contract to play for a specific number of years with the 49ers.  I am sure NFL contracts are full of escape clauses for both parties, but is there really one for "never mind, I've changed my mind ... I don't want to play football anymore"?  If you or I sign a contract to do specific work for someone, then quit before the work is complete, we would be in breach of contract and subject to a lawsuits.

While I applaud his decision on the basis of merit, and I feel empathy towards the position he found himself in, I also say "boo his" because contract buy-out or not, noble cause or not, Chris is, from my perspective, a quitter.

Just my two cents. Smile 

BTW ... no, I am not a bitter 49ers fan! Very Happy  My favorite team is the losers in the nation's capital, the Washington Redskins.  Only in Professional Sports Wash_redskins
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Only in Professional Sports   Only in Professional Sports I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 11:22 am

I completely disagree with you and shall fight you tooth and nail until I prove to everyone that I am right!!!  Oh wait, this isn't CMR Very Happy

But I do not believe he is a quitter, per se.  As for the retirement phrase, I believe that the sports world is a bit different about things like leaving.  Players in the NHL will announce their "retirement" from their playing days when no team, be it in the NHL or in any European league, will sign them.  They retire from playing the sport professionally.  So Chris retired from playing professional football.  He may get a job related to football but he has chosen not to play professionally.  That is why it is considered retirement as opposed to resigning.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Only in Professional Sports   Only in Professional Sports I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 11:27 am

"quitter" might be a harsh word, and I see your point about the career change, but I still think calling it a retirement is wrong. If I were to decide I don't want to program computers anymore but would instead manage the local lumber yard, it would not be retirement but a career change.  The retirement benefits I have stored up from career one would not suddenly be available to me, although I could probably transfer them to the new one, or even put them on hold until I reach "retirement age."

JMHO. Smile
Back to top Go down
bassdude

bassdude

Number of posts : 614
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Only in Professional Sports   Only in Professional Sports I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 11:51 am

I care nothing for the NFL.....but I'm a huge college football fan.

So basically, I don't care if they all retire as soon as they graduate from university, I won't be watching anyway.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3120
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Only in Professional Sports   Only in Professional Sports I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 12:02 pm

Yeah, seems like "retirement" is the WRONG word. I work in a more dangerous environment than a professional athlete -- I work in a paper mill 12 hours a day (more than they work in a week) and we are around dangers every day. 20 tons reels of paper, rolls of paper moving on conveyors and rolls of paper rolling down isles (some weighing as much as 8,000 pounds per roll, they are 110 inches long and 58 inches in diameter! That's a BIG roll of paper!). It is very loud here so we have to wear ear plugs, paper dust so we have to wear safety googles (and sometimes dusts masks), steel toe boots, etc. it is an extremely dangerous environment, more-so than on a football field. And they can FORGET saying "it's hot out there on the field". Well, it's hot inside a paper mill where there is NO air conditioning. This is Florida. In the summer on a normal workday the warehouse is 110-115 degrees. It's already 88 in the warehouse today and it's still March.

So as Beardad said, what if I said I was going to retire early because I was afraid I might get hearing loss or afraid I might get my foot squashed by a roll of paper or a fork lift might run me over or might have a heat stroke. So what! They would send me on my merry way and when I turned 65 I would finally collect a retirement check and not a day sooner! (which in turn would be a very small retirement check because I left at 44 instead of 65!).

Last edited by MikeInFla on Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
metaldude

metaldude

Number of posts : 790
Registration date : 2014-05-07

PostSubject: Re: Only in Professional Sports   Only in Professional Sports I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 1:11 pm

I think this trend will continue. More and more players are figuring out there's a lot of life left after football. I think Chris Borland was the seventh player under the age of 31 to retire this year.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Only in Professional Sports   Only in Professional Sports I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 17, 2015 2:38 pm

MikeInFla wrote:
Yeah, seems like "retirement" is the WRONG word. I work in a much dangerous environment than a professional athlete -- I work in a paper mill 12 hours a day (more than they work in a week) and we are around dangers every day. 20 tons reels of paper, rolls of paper moving on conveyors and rolls of paper rolling down isles (some weighing as much as 8,000 pounds per roll, they are 110 inches long and 58 inches in diameter! That's a BIG roll of paper!). It is very loud here so we have to wear ear plugs, paper dust so we have to wear safety googles (and sometimes dusts masks), steel toe boots, etc. it is an extremely dangerous environment, more-so than on a football field. And they can FORGET saying "it's hot out there on the field". Well, it's hot inside a paper mill where there is NO air conditioning. This is Florida. In the summer on a normal workday the warehouse is 110-115 degrees. It's already 88 in the warehouse today and it's still March.

So as Beardad said, what if I said I was going to retire early because I was afraid I might get hearing loss or afraid I might get my foot squashed by a roll of paper or a fork lift might run me over or might have a heat stroke. So what! They would send me on my merry way and when I turned 65 I would finally collect a retirement check and not a day sooner! (which in turn would be a very small retirement check because I left at 44 instead of 65!).

Dude, you made my Carpal Tunnel example sound ridiculous!  lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Only in Professional Sports   Only in Professional Sports I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Only in Professional Sports
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: Warped Drive - General Discussion-
Jump to: