Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Metal Opera

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

Metal Opera Empty
PostSubject: Metal Opera   Metal Opera I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 9:16 am

The "Opera Metal" thread got me thinking a bit. In that thread Fundy introduced us to a metal band with an operatic-style singer, and people posted their opinions ranging from "yuck" to "I like it." I think the thread was meant to be slightly humorous, but in all serious opera is not just large people singing at high registers, even though that particular band happened to have a very large woman doing just that. According to that bastion of irrefutable facts known as Wikipedia, opera is ...

" ... an art form in which singers and musicians perform a dramatic work combining text and musical score, usually in a theatrical setting."

Personally, I love opera of all kinds. Yea, I even like the stereotypical tenors and sopranos. But it's the stories that captivate me (unless, of course, it's in another language.  In that case the I just love the soaring vocals!) Both of my kids say they hate opera, but they both love TSO; someday I will have to burst their collective bubble and tell them they love opera!  Twisted Evil

There are several examples where the musical score in the above definition for opera is of a more metal or rock nature:

Metal Opera by Avantasia
A Legacy of Honor by Soulspell (this album ROCKs and is at the top of my wish list!)
Anything by Ayreon
Anything by Trans Siberian Orchestra
Slaves for Life by Amaseffer
Jesus Christ Superstar

One thing to note, the line between rock opera and concept album can be kind-of blurry at times. Typically an opera involves several voices playing the parts, meaning The Wall and Rage for Order, as awesome as they are, are not rock/metal operas ... at least not IMO (even with the kids in "Another Brick in the Wall" LOL!).

The following is a metal opera in the works that I have been following on Facebook. The list of artists involved is extensive, including Rob Rock, Steve Di Giorgio, Rick Wakeman, and Başak Ylva (an awesome singer that just happens to be the stereotypical high register vocalist without the stereotypical girth! Smile )

Vivaldi Metal Project
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Metal Opera Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Opera   Metal Opera I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 12:16 pm

I can appreciate classical opera on some level, but I'm not a major fan.  I haven't however found much to like in most metal opera projects.  Might have to check some of those out.

Fundy

Number of posts : 5307
Registration date : 2007-05-04

Metal Opera Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Opera   Metal Opera I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 06, 2015 12:41 pm

I love musicals, but am not keen on Opera at all.  Infact the only opera I can listen to is the following!!!!

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Sponsored content

Metal Opera Empty
PostSubject: Re: Metal Opera   Metal Opera I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Metal Opera