Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath

Go down 
+3
Staybrite
Guilty/Forgiven
topshot rhit
7 posters
AuthorMessage
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath Empty
PostSubject: Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath   Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 3:10 pm

Preemptive strike for the Black Sabbath "well-rounded top 5":

Paranoid
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
Technical Ecstasy
Heaven and Hell
Headless Cross (note: pretty dark themes)

Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9954
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath   Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 4:03 pm

Topshot likes Black Sabbath.... I am having trouble wrapping my little brain around that one. Hmmm
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath   Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 4:13 pm

I loved the initial Dio era of this band so my list would be slightly different.

Paranoid (Ozzy)
Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (Ozzy)
Master of Reality (Ozzy)
Heaven & Hell (Dio)
Mob Rules (Dio - the title track remains my favorite Sabbath tune)

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath   Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 4:34 pm

I would've placed MoR and Paranoid for sure, maaaaybe Vol. 4 (don't like the lyrics).
Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath   Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 4:36 pm

I only like a few songs in the Ozzy years, i'm a Dio fan.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

PostSubject: Re: Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath   Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 4:49 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Topshot likes Black Sabbath.... I am having trouble wrapping my little brain around that one. Hmmm
Why? I was a huge Ozzy (and then Sabbath) fan.

Like Dio era as well, but Mob Rules (the first one I got) was not as good an album as H&H and I was trying to give a well rounded top 5 so try not to do back to back releases unless there was a significant style change.

There's not a bad album in the first 10 releases. Born Again, however...

Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath   Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 5:22 pm

topshot rhit wrote:
Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Why? I was a huge Ozzy (and then Sabbath) fan.

Like Dio era as well, but Mob Rules (the first one I got) was not as good an album as H&H and I was trying to give a well rounded top 5 so try not to do back to back releases unless there was a significant style change.

There's not a bad album in the first 10 releases. Born Again, however...

I actually really liked Born Again (with the exception of a few songs).  I thought the pairing of Ian Gillan with the guys from Sabbath was brilliant (the album cover was absolutely awful though).  But I have a hard time thinking of it as a Black Sabbath album.....maybe we could just call them "Black Purple" or "Deep Sabbath".

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath   Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 6:34 pm

I like some of their song but was never a BS fan.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
topshot rhit

PostSubject: Re: Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath   Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 7:53 pm

Staybrite wrote:
I actually really liked Born Again (with the exception of a few songs).  I thought the pairing of Ian Gillan with the guys from Sabbath was brilliant (the album cover was absolutely awful though).  But I have a hard time thinking of it as a Black Sabbath album.....maybe we could just call them "Black Purple" or "Deep Sabbath".
Beauty is in the ear of the hearer I guess. Razz

Thought the songwriting was clearly not up to BS standards. Anyway I did get to see them that tour (which also wasn't that good) and the next I believe but those 3 albums until Headless Cross were sub par IMNSHO.

Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath   Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath I_icon_minitimeThu Jan 08, 2015 10:16 pm

I had to go listen to War Pigs again after reading this thread. Man, what a jam.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath   Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 12:10 am

I only had 3 BS albums back in the day. Live Evil, We sold our soul.., and Heaven and hell. When I came to faith, I got rid of them and never had an interest in them since - mostly due to my belief that all they stood for was Satanism and the occult. I've always thought there was a lot of talent in the band over the years, and still have and enjoy the songs Paranoid and Iron Man.

Instead of "Which 5 albums" for this thread, I'd prefer to hear more about their lyrics. I mean, it seems my preconceived prejudices about Iron Maiden's lyrics were incorrect... what can ya'all tell me about Sabbath's lyrical content ?
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3117
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath   Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 7:00 am

A good collection is the The Dio Years. Fantastic Album if you just want an overview of the Dio Material.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

PostSubject: Re: Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath   Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 9:44 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Instead of "Which 5 albums" for this thread, I'd prefer to hear more about their lyrics. I mean, it seems my preconceived prejudices about Iron Maiden's lyrics were incorrect... what can ya'all tell me about Sabbath's lyrical content ?
Given their name and image you would expect such and there were some songs that dealt with some occult or Satanic issues, but I viewed it more like Maiden's NOTB rather than suggesting it was a good thing or glorifying it (ignoring the Headless Cross and possibly later albums). Take for instance their title song from the first album:

Quote :

What is this that stands before me?
Figure in black which points at me
Turn around quick and start to run
Find out I'm the chosen one, oh nooo!

Big black shape with eyes of fire
Telling people their desire
Satan's sitting there, he's smiling
Watches those flames get higher and higher
Oh no, no, please God help me!

Is it the end, my friend?
Satan's coming 'round the bend
People running 'cause they're scared
The people better go and beware!
No, no, please, no!

I personally don't see that as suggesting Satan is good. Anyway, I would say they were in general anti organized RELIGION, but then so am I in a way. They did have a few songs that could almost suggest they were believers (at least one was raised Catholic).

Quote :

Have you ever thought about your soul - can it be saved?
Or perhaps you think that when you're dead you just stay in your grave
Is God just a thought within your head or is he a part of you?
Is Christ just a name that you read in a book when you were in school?

When you think about death do you lose your breath or do you keep your cool?
Would you like to see the Pope on the end of a rope - do you think he's a fool?
Well I have seen the truth, yes I've seen the light and I've changed my ways
And I'll be prepared when you're lonely and scared at the end of our days

Could it be you're afraid of what your friends might say
If they knew you believe in God above?
They should realize before they criticize
that God is the only way to love

Is your mind so small that you have to fall
In with the pack wherever they run
Will you still sneer when death is near
And say they may as well worship the sun?

I think it was true it was people like you that crucified Christ
I think it is sad the opinion you had was the only one voiced
Will you be so sure when your day is near, say you don't believe?
You had the chance but you turned it down, now you can't retrieve

Perhaps you'll think before you say that God is dead and gone
Open your eyes, just realize that he's the one
The only one who can save you now from all this sin and hate
Or will you still jeer at all you hear? Yes! I think it's too late.

Some songs dealt with mystical themes and many of their songs also dealt with social, economic and political issues. And, of course, they had a few songs that dealt with drug use.

Anyway, at least during the Ozzy and Dio years I don't recall anything that sticks out as promoting Satan. If that's why you have trouble wrapping your head around why I liked them, you'd be wrong. Razz

I had Mercyful Fate and King Diamond for that. Abigail was an absolutely killer album! Shocked

Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath   Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 10:04 am

I just grow more and more surprised as people reveal what I thought were bands dedicated to Lucifer as being either neutral or even promoting Christianity.
When I came to faith I was pummeled with anti-rock material and read and watched videos of all kinds of stuff saying all these bands were evil, etc.  While there are certain bands or songs that are obvious and will never again be a part of my collection, there are many (like Sabbath and Maiden) that I've been pleasantly surprised by all these years later.
You have to understand, I was under the belief that there were "demons" behind so many bands and songs that even though I'm a music fanatic, I whittled down my music to just a handful of VERY Christian albums (even Michael W Smith was not good enough back then). Obviously I grew in my understanding over the years, but still have reservations about certain bands. And Sabbath was one of them.
Seems there are bands that are dedicated to trashing Christianity and exalting Satan (they're obvious), then there are bands that appear evil, but it's just a show - they're trying to look "bad".. when really their lyrics are rather neutral.  It's all about discernment. And on that note, I may just stream some Black Sabbath today to see why I've "abstained" from them all these years Laughing
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath   Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 1:21 pm

I never really thought that Iron Maiden or Black Sabbath had much in the way of "evil worship" type lyrics.  I have found country artists with worse lyrics than I found in either of those bands.  Before I was a Christ follower I got a copy of Slayer's "Haunting the Chapel" album.  One listen of the song "Captor of Sin" and I felt as if I was hearing something truly evil.

Quote :
Harlots of Hell, spread your wings
As I penetrate your soul
Feel the fire shoot through your body
As I slip into your throne
Cast aside, do as you will
I care not how you plead
Satan's child now stalks the earth
Born from my demon seed

I only listened to that album a few times and got rid of it.  It was just to dark and evil for me (even before I became a Christian).  I used to tell people that they didn't have to search for hidden satanic meanings in music by Ozzy, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden etc.  By the mid 80's bands that wanted to glorify satan weren't hiding the message in imagery or cryptic lyrics, they just coming right out and saying it (ala Slayer, Mercyful Fate, Venom etc.)

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath   Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 1:33 pm

Vol. 4 had some sketchy lyrics. Under The Sun, for instance, is clearly anti-religion. However, the lyrics on Master Of Reality have some interesting moments, including After Forever above.
"Your world was made for you by someone above
but you chose evil ways instead of love.
You made me master of the world where you exist
the soul I took from you was not even missed." - Lord Of This World

"Leave the earth to Satan and his slaves
Leave them to their future in their grave
Make a home where love is there to stay
Peace and happiness in every day" - Into The Void

I won't go so far as to say those lyrics are Christian, but they don't favour Satan, I don't think.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

PostSubject: Re: Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath   Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 09, 2015 2:54 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
I just grow more and more surprised as people reveal what I thought were bands dedicated to Lucifer as being either neutral or even promoting Christianity.
When I came to faith I was pummeled with anti-rock material and read and watched videos of all kinds of stuff saying all these bands were evil, etc.

Ah, yes, sucking down Tipper's Koolaid...  Evil or Very Mad

Quote :
You have to understand, I was under the belief that there were "demons" behind so many bands and songs

I fully believe that now. Had no idea of spiritual warfare back then though. I don't think most Christians take it anywhere near serious enough.

Quote :
And on that note, I may just stream some Black Sabbath today to see why I've "abstained" from them all these years Laughing

I'd recommend Master of Reality then. Has at least 2 songs (including one above) that point to God. Also has Sweet Leaf that you may get a kick from. Wink

Sabbath Bloody Sabbath was my favorite. Still hum the riffs.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath   Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Answer for G/F - Black Sabbath
Page 1 of 1