Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Angelic Warlord technical issues

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Dynamis

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Angelic Warlord technical issues Empty
PostSubject: Angelic Warlord technical issues   Angelic Warlord technical issues I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 8:26 am

Just want everyone to know that Angelic Warlord is experiencing some technical difficulties which are causing the site to display incorrectly.  Specifically, there is an outline surrounding every single link at the site.

Last night I stayed up until midnight attempting to diagnosis the problem but all to no avail.  I woke up at 3:00 AM and could not go back to sleep again so decided to look into the matter again.  As it turns out, a font based CSS went corrupt, which is causing the links to display incorrectly.  There is good news and bad news here.

The good is that this is a simple workaround.  I deleted the CSS in question.  So at this point all I need to do is apply the correct font (verdana 12) to each page at the site.  Yes, hundreds and hundreds of pages but should not take more than a couple hours.  When first designing the site, I set up the font CSS so that whenever I post text onto a page the font will automatically apply to the text in question.  I can live without this.

The bad, on the other hand, is that when I deleted the font CSS from the sites 'master template page', it took all of the CSS in the editable portion of each page with it (when I applied the correction to each mapped 'child page').  This is actually good news in that it allows me to redo the site in the all around more efficient and user friendly manner.  Previously, the site was so bloated with CSS it would delay download times.  When designing the site back in 2005, I did not know what I was doing- so for each album cover scan I created a CSS border with white outline and would insert the image into the border itself.  This will force me to make a change I have needed to do for years: Add the border to each image using Photoshop and then insert each image without a CSS layer.  This will take some time but will be worth it.

The problem is that I was unable to fall back asleep again and so am going on roughly 3 hours sleep. Shocked As a result, I am not going to touch the site again until tomorrow, which is good in that this will allow me to plan and think things through further.

Thanks,

Andy
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
Dynamis

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord technical issues   Angelic Warlord technical issues I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 8:35 am

One thing I would like to reinforce is that NO data was lost in the process. Very Happy So the site will be back to its normal self but it will take a bit of time.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord technical issues   Angelic Warlord technical issues I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 9:58 am

Strange that happened. I hope you can get it fixed quickly and smoothly.
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5516
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord technical issues   Angelic Warlord technical issues I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 10:16 am

Tedium ad nauseam.

Glad you found the problem and are able to get it worked out. Good luck with the changes!
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord technical issues   Angelic Warlord technical issues I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 10:54 am

Glad to hear you didn't lose anything, bummer though that you have to deal with this.

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord technical issues   Angelic Warlord technical issues I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 4:57 pm

OK, things are starting to look more like home: I have the revised home page updated and uploaded in addition to many of the more current reviews and several other pages as well.  A good start but a lot more work ahead as well.  I even took a short afternoon nap...
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord technical issues   Angelic Warlord technical issues I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 5:06 pm

Naps are good!

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord technical issues   Angelic Warlord technical issues I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2014 5:15 pm

Dynamis wrote:
Just want everyone to know that Angelic Warlord is experiencing some technical difficulties which are causing the site to display incorrectly.  Specifically, there is an outline surrounding every single link at the site.

Last night I stayed up until midnight attempting to diagnosis the problem but all to no avail.  I woke up at 3:00 AM and could not go back to sleep again so decided to look into the matter again.  As it turns out, a font based CSS went corrupt, which is causing the links to display incorrectly.  There is good news and bad news here.

The good is that this is a simple workaround.  I deleted the CSS in question.  So at this point all I need to do is apply the correct font (verdana 12) to each page at the site.  Yes, hundreds and hundreds of pages but should not take more than a couple hours.  When first designing the site, I set up the font CSS so that whenever I post text onto a page the font will automatically apply to the text in question.  I can live without this.

The bad, on the other hand, is that when I deleted the font CSS from the sites 'master template page', it took all of the CSS in the editable portion of each page with it (when I applied the correction to each mapped 'child page').  This is actually good news in that it allows me to redo the site in the all around more efficient and user friendly manner.  Previously, the site was so bloated with CSS it would delay download times.  When designing the site back in 2005, I did not know what I was doing- so for each album cover scan I created a CSS border with white outline and would insert the image into the border itself.  This will force me to make a change I have needed to do for years: Add the border to each image using Photoshop and then insert each image without a CSS layer.  This will take some time but will be worth it.

The problem is that I was unable to fall back asleep again and so am going on roughly 3 hours sleep. Shocked As a result, I am not going to touch the site again until tomorrow, which is good in that this will allow me to plan and think things through further.

Thanks,

Andy

I'm a web designer, but I'm not quite understanding your issue. You say the problem is based on a CSS font, but CSS is applied on the client machine, and when a specific font is applied it is dependent on the presence of the font file on the client's machine, not the server. Now if you're talking about font style that's a different issue.

No matter. You talk about applying the correction to each page, which leads me to believe that your CSS is either inline (within each HTML tag) or at least in the same file as the HTML. Personally, I never do the latter and rarely do the former. Instead, use dedicated CSS files and link them in the HTML header. That allows you to apply CSS changes to every page at once.
Back to top Go down
Dynamis

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord technical issues   Angelic Warlord technical issues I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 10:25 pm

I want to thank everyone for their kind words and support.  The site is pretty much back to running normally in that I have all the reviews and the majority of the more important pages uploaded with the proper font.  However, if you see anything that does not look correct or is not working properly please send me a message.

There are certain pages to the site (such as the Discography section) I had to quarantine in that I am uncertain if it is worth the time and trouble to fix.  I want to fix the sites Archives pages but this is a step that might potentially take months...

Speaking of which, the site previously made very inefficient use of CSS layers.  For example, every red underlined update border is its own div tag.  Likewise, every white border around an embedded YouTube link is its own div as well.  I want to correct this somehow by using Photoshop to create images in place of the border, but I am not a Photoshop expert so it will take some time to figure this out.  Right now in moving forward I hope to be running the leaner, lighter and all around more efficient site.

Thanks again,

Andy
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord technical issues   Angelic Warlord technical issues I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2014 10:24 am

Dynamis wrote:

There are certain pages to the site (such as the Discography section) I had to quarantine in that I am uncertain if it is worth the time and trouble to fix.  I want to fix the sites Archives pages but this is a step that might potentially take months...

I was trying to look at the discography page for Saint yesterday when I was making the "Favorite Song from Times End" thread here at CHM, and noticed that it wasn't up and running. Kind of a bummer, but I completely understand your time is limited, and there are bigger priorities. Just glad to see you are able to get the news updates and reviews working again.

PostSubject: Re: Angelic Warlord technical issues   Angelic Warlord technical issues I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Angelic Warlord technical issues
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: Warped Drive - General Discussion-
Jump to: