Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

High School "differences" then and now

Go down 
+7
Staybrite
Redeemed Fool
MikeInFla
metaldude
Driven
xenonlion
Guilty/Forgiven
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
xenonlion

xenonlion

Number of posts : 1689
Registration date : 2013-08-19

High School "differences" then and now - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: High School "differences" then and now   High School "differences" then and now - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 11:31 am

ishmael81 wrote:
I always thought snap was a substitute for another word.  You know, "poop"...
It is.
Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: High School "differences" then and now   High School "differences" then and now - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 12:26 pm

http://www.newser.com/story/187684/teen-kills-parents-for-taking-ipod-away.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=united&utm_campaign=rss_topnews
Back to top Go down
xenonlion

xenonlion

PostSubject: Re: High School "differences" then and now   High School "differences" then and now - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 4:22 pm

Is that a real story? That kid...
He really let how he felt control his actions.

This story makes me think of Nero. His mum helped him become emperor and then later he ends up killing his mum. He does also kill himself later...
Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

PostSubject: Re: High School "differences" then and now   High School "differences" then and now - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri May 30, 2014 11:04 pm

Reported as real. I don't know what to say about stuff like this.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: High School "differences" then and now   High School "differences" then and now - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 7:58 am

It shows us that our society is in deep poo-poo.  There is no respect for parents, teachers, or any authority with our youth.  Parents have bought into the lie that the schools can raise their kids as long as they give them whatever they want.  The family unit is unravelled and our country isn't far behind.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: High School "differences" then and now   High School "differences" then and now - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 9:25 am

School raises kids to adulthood with a "theory" represented as fact that we are only so much compost - that when we die, we just go back into the ground. Therefore whatever we do in this life doesn't really matter since we have no Higher Power to answer to.

Parents raise their kids by telling them a few good things they should do and believe, and usually don't do or believe those things themselves, at least by their actions. The rest of the time the parents are giving the kids whatever they want cuz they think that's love.

We've successfully raised a generation who thinks we're all no better than the animals and thus act that way. Killing, stealing, getting everything they want, filling themselves with every pleasure imaginable to fill that empty void until it gets to be too much and then they're a head looking for a bullet.
Can kids and teens find refuge and truth in church ? Possibly, but all I keep seeing are kids abused and told lies in the name of "church".

Thank God there are some churches and some pastors (Alldat included) that are pointing youth in the right direction and preaching hope and grace rather than giving and tithing (sorry, sore spot there... last church we went to turned every sermon around to be about giving so they could get out of the huge debt hole they were in - I HATE THAT !)

Sad times to live in. But also a time to rejoice and be happy that our redemption awaits and we have so much to look forward to in the Presence of Christ here inside us and when we meet Him in glory.
Back to top Go down
xenonlion

xenonlion

PostSubject: Re: High School "differences" then and now   High School "differences" then and now - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 11:48 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Sad times to live in. But also a time to rejoice and be happy that our redemption awaits and we have so much to look forward to in the Presence of Christ here inside us and when we meet Him in glory.

This.
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: High School "differences" then and now   High School "differences" then and now - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 6:34 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
School raises kids to adulthood with a "theory" represented as fact that we are only so much compost - that when we die, we just go back into the ground. Therefore whatever we do in this life doesn't really matter since we have no Higher Power to answer to.

Yes, and this bugs me immensely. I'm something of a student of science, and based on molecular genetics alone (or, how DNA works on the level of replication, decoding, etc.), I'd say there has to be something that created it. It's just too complex to be formed by chance. There are also several weaknesses with the theory of evolution itself, namely: the origin of everything, the origin of life itself, the gain of genetic information, the step from prokaryote (bacteria) type cells to eukaryote (animal/vegetal), the general lack of concrete examples, etc.

Why can't the "scientists" studying it just be honest and say they've yet to prove it, I'm guessing a matter of pride.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: High School "differences" then and now   High School "differences" then and now - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 9:51 am

PRECISELY ! It is obvious to any scientist that we exist in the midst of a greater design (they merely dismiss a Creator as they do not want anything "spiritual" or anything outside of their scientific realm to mess their textbooks up- put simply, they do not want to answer to a Higher Power).
Just because you can't see or meet the artist who created the Sistine Chapel art and the beautifully executed statue of King David, doesn't mean he never existed. Even if a scientist wanted to claim the Creator of all things "is dead", like Michaelangelo, then at least we'd have more honesty - a scientist who has the guts to admit there is CLEARLY a great designer behind everything (though they cannot scientifically "find" this Creator or see or talk with Him / It).

It's a rare thing to hear of a career scientist who acknowledges there MUST be a Designer for all this design... and when a scientist seeks more knowledge of this Designer, they, in their intelligence, come to the conclusion that the Hebrew Scriptures as well as the New Testament best record Who this Designer is, at the exclusion of all other religious writings.
Scientists who believe are out there, we just don't get to hear much about them (esp in school): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_thinkers_in_science

Back to the ideas and beliefs of the scientific community majority, we have that good old idea that we are just above the animals and have no Creator to answer to. Truth is relative, and we make up our own morals...
how's this workin' for everyone ?
(current headlines as we speak:)
Girl, 14, stabs sister 40 times because she felt unappreciated.
School stabbing suspect: 'I have more people to kill'.
Children on their way to get ice cream stabbed in elevator.
12-year-old Wisconsin girl stabbed 19 times as friends act out online game.

That's just one site, and just one weapon, one short time in history... but one reason answers them all: Because scientists removed God from the public schools in '62. PERIOD ! Remove God, remove morality. Remove a Creator, move in despair and hopelessness. Remove eternal accountability, move in anarchy.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: High School "differences" then and now   High School "differences" then and now - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 11:27 am

I just want to make two, really soapbox, high horse kind of comments. Please know that these comments are directed at me more than anyone else. But I think some of us need to read it.

1. This kind of thing has been going on for centuries. I don't think this has been a gradual decline from the "good old days". The reason I think this? Sin. We live in an imperfect world where people are broken and do things like this.

2. There are 2 ways we can deal with this kind of thing. We can be part of the problem or we can be part of the solution. I've been part of the problem for a long time but hopefully, at our new (very mission oriented towards broken people), I can be part of the solution in my own small way.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: High School "differences" then and now   High School "differences" then and now - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 11:30 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
PRECISELY ! It is obvious to any scientist that we exist in the midst of a greater design (they merely dismiss a Creator as they do not want anything "spiritual" or anything outside of their scientific realm to mess their textbooks up- put simply, they do not want to answer to a Higher Power).
Just because you can't see or meet the artist who created the Sistine Chapel art and the beautifully executed statue of King David, doesn't mean he never existed. Even if a scientist wanted to claim the Creator of all things "is dead", like Michaelangelo, then at least we'd have more honesty - a scientist who has the guts to admit there is CLEARLY a great designer behind everything (though they cannot scientifically "find" this Creator or see or talk with Him / It).

It's a rare thing to hear of a career scientist who acknowledges there MUST be a Designer for all this design... and when a scientist seeks more knowledge of this Designer, they, in their intelligence, come to the conclusion that the Hebrew Scriptures as well as the New Testament best record Who this Designer is, at the exclusion of all other religious writings.
Scientists who believe are out there, we just don't get to hear much about them (esp in school): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_thinkers_in_science

Back to the ideas and beliefs of the scientific community majority, we have that good old idea that we are just above the animals and have no Creator to answer to. Truth is relative, and we make up our own morals...
how's this workin' for everyone ?
(current headlines as we speak:)
Girl, 14, stabs sister 40 times because she felt unappreciated.
School stabbing suspect: 'I have more people to kill'.
Children on their way to get ice cream stabbed in elevator.
12-year-old Wisconsin girl stabbed 19 times as friends act out online game.

That's just one site, and just one weapon, one short time in history... but one reason answers them all: Because scientists removed God from the public schools in '62. PERIOD ! Remove God, remove morality. Remove a Creator, move in despair and hopelessness. Remove eternal accountability, move in anarchy.

I don't mean to be disrespectful but no one has taken God out of our homes. Taking him out of school did nothing for the way I was raised. If anything, not learning about the BIble at school made my parents work even harder to teach me about God.

I think a lot of these issues go back to the parents, who are responsible for their offspring until they are 18. But people don't want to hear that sometimes (and yes, I saw where you posted a similiar sentiment) because they are parents.

Did you also know that the head scientist of the Genome Project is a believer? His name is Francis something...
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: High School "differences" then and now   High School "differences" then and now - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 11:31 am

Through The Dark Radio wrote:
ishmael81 wrote:
I always thought snap was a substitute for another word.  You know, "poop"...

Yo, snap!!!  Shocked

I have to take a snap... too far?
Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

PostSubject: Re: High School "differences" then and now   High School "differences" then and now - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 04, 2014 5:44 pm

I think we are mostly referring to the state of our nation which used to at least give a nod to respecting authority. It used to be that even non-believers thought the Bible was the good book. The day of trusting you could leave your house or car unlocked are over. People are afraid and those that can are moving into locked communities. You are right though, sin is our nature and we live in a very broken world. It is why I work with troubled teen boys.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: High School "differences" then and now   High School "differences" then and now - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 12:55 am

Let me say it isn't just high school, it carries over to college too.  Students assume their tuition money is buying them a degree that will land them a high-paying job.  They assume that registering for a class guarantees that they will pass the class and get credit for it.  I don't know how many times students have come up to me explaining that they are graduating in May and have to pass the class, like the problem has been that I didn't understand the necessity of this.  I've always wanted to respond with something like "then maybe you should take the earbuds out of your ear, put your phone away, get out a piece of paper and something to write with and actually put forth some effort to learn the material to pass the test.  And while you're at it, try turning in your assignments."  There was a letter supposedly written by a recent college grad to his school in response to an alumni fund raising letter that circulated around social media a while back that perfectly summarizes the sense of entitlement.  Maybe this has always been there too.  I don't know.  Maybe it has always been like this, but now with three/four cable networks dedicated to broadcasting news (in the broadest use of the word) and all the cameras out there documenting every second of every day we are just more aware of when some punk kid does something stupid.  Or maybe it is true that the last pretenses of civilized society are falling away and we really are on the verge of living The Hunger Games.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: High School "differences" then and now   High School "differences" then and now - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 1:21 am

truly scary.

And as for a slow decline vs mankind's history of sin. Sure there has been greater sin and worse times than we live in or will ever live in. But I've read timelines that demonstrate a decline of morality that began when prayers (that were said in public schools daily) were banned in '62.  Sin has always been here in our country, but the morality that could be seen in TV shows in the 50s was the norm according to my Mother and it's rather clear that morality has deteriorated substantially since then. Years ago I read a book that had several "moral graphs" that showed huge drops in the mid 60s. I don't think it's mere coincidence, guess I could be mistaken though. I'd have to do my own studies on American morality.
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

PostSubject: Re: High School "differences" then and now   High School "differences" then and now - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 05, 2014 8:46 am

messiaen77 wrote:
Let me say it isn't just high school, it carries over to college too.  Students assume their tuition money is buying them a degree that will land them a high-paying job.  They assume that registering for a class guarantees that they will pass the class and get credit for it.  I don't know how many times students have come up to me explaining that they are graduating in May and have to pass the class, like the problem has been that I didn't understand the necessity of this.  I've always wanted to respond with something like "then maybe you should take the earbuds out of your ear, put your phone away, get out a piece of paper and something to write with and actually put forth some effort to learn the material to pass the test.  And while you're at it, try turning in your assignments."  There was a letter supposedly written by a recent college grad to his school in response to an alumni fund raising letter that circulated around social media a while back that perfectly summarizes the sense of entitlement.  Maybe this has always been there too.  I don't know.  Maybe it has always been like this, but now with three/four cable networks dedicated to broadcasting news (in the broadest use of the word) and all the cameras out there documenting every second of every day we are just more aware of when some punk kid does something stupid.  Or maybe it is true that the last pretenses of civilized society are falling away and we really are on the verge of living The Hunger Games.

Interesting view. I agree, there should be effort put forth but when I was touring colleges back in 1999, I had a t least 3 schools tell me that their graduates land high paying jobs. I expected it but I still did the work. And I definately did not land a high paying job.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: High School "differences" then and now   High School "differences" then and now - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

High School "differences" then and now
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2