Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What Does ----- Mean ?

Go down 
+6
Samson
Staybrite
Xid
messiaen77
Driven
Guilty/Forgiven
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9945
Registration date : 2007-05-18

What Does ----- Mean ? Empty
PostSubject: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 24, 2014 10:32 pm

We've all listened to bands we really like, then after a while wondered what their name meant.

There are the simple, obvious ones: Jesus Freaks, Eternal Decision, Third Day, Bride, etc.

Then there are bands that take their name from Scripture: Jars of Clay
Bands that get a bit poetic: Wish For Eden
Band names that are just simplistic: Die Happy

This thread is not about any of the obvious names.
This thread is here to ask questions like "What does CrystavoX mean ?"
And whether you know the answer off the top of your head, or whether you look into it to answer the question, this is the place to say
"That means 'The Voice of Christ'".

All genres are welcome here. If you wish to ask what a secular band's name means, this is also a good thread for that too (just be careful as some mainstream bands have names that are filthy)

Anyone know what "Poor Old Lu" means ?
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 6:34 am

I've heard it said that "Rev Seven" comes from when Bill was trying to get the band started (when else? lol). During a discussion about the band, someone had to take a bathroom break or something, and the other people were having a discussion about guitars. Right when the person came back from the bathroom, someone said "Yamaha Rev Seven pickups", and said person found it cool. So that was the band name. Smile
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 8:43 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
We've all listened to bands we really like, then after a while wondered what their name meant.

There are the simple, obvious ones: Jesus Freaks, Eternal Decision, Third Day, Bride, etc.

Then there are bands that take their name from Scripture: Jars of Clay
Bands that get a bit poetic: Wish For Eden
Band names that are just simplistic: Die Happy

This thread is not about any of the obvious names.
This thread is here to ask questions like "What does CrystavoX mean ?"
And whether you know the answer off the top of your head, or whether you look into it to answer the question, this is the place to say
"That means 'The Voice of Christ'".

All genres are welcome here. If you wish to ask what a secular band's name means, this is also a good thread for that too (just be careful as some mainstream bands have names that are filthy)

Anyone know what "Poor Old Lu" means ?
Poor Old Lu comes from The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe.  Lucy, the youngest of the children hid in the wardrobe and ended up in Narnia.  When she came back from Narnia telling her story, her siblings didn't believe her (of course, who would??) and one of them called her "Poor old Lu" because no one apparently went looking for her or noticed she was missing.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 9:33 am

^ That is SO cool ! I always wondered about that name. Thanks for that great answer.

I've got another one, it's a secular metal band, but I've always wondered:

What Does KROKUS Mean ?
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5513
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 9:44 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
What Does KROKUS Mean ?
According to Wikipedia:

"The band name Krokus is German for crocus, a flower common throughout Europe. Early in the spring of 1975, band founder Chris von Rohr observed a field of these flowers while traveling by train. He was returning from L'Ecole des Chefs located in France after an aborted career in the culinary arts, and it was around this time the idea for the band was formed. The band members stated that it was the perfect name, since it featured "rok" in the middle."
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23399
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 11:18 am

Actually Poor Old Lu is just short for "Poor Old Lucifer".  The bands nod to the fallen angel's sad attempt to think he could reach anywhere near the height of our Lord God.  Also the guitarist was a huge Rolling Stones fan and the name was something of a tongue in cheek reference to the Stones song "Sympathy for the Devil".

(ok, I totally made that all up but it does seem plausible  Laughing )

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 11:20 am

Xid wrote:
Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
What Does KROKUS Mean ?
According to Wikipedia:

"The band name Krokus is German for crocus, a flower common throughout Europe. Early in the spring of 1975, band founder Chris von Rohr observed a field of these flowers while traveling by train. He was returning from L'Ecole des Chefs located in France after an aborted career in the culinary arts, and it was around this time the idea for the band was formed. The band members stated that it was the perfect name, since it featured "rok" in the middle."

Wow, that's not a very "heavy metal" kind of name....might as well just name your band Daisy, or Tulip.  lol! 

In the cool cool cool of the morning, that's when I'm coming home.

Samson

Number of posts : 734
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 11:35 am

What does Decyfer Down mean?
Back to top Go down
xenonlion

xenonlion

Number of posts : 1689
Registration date : 2013-08-19

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 11:46 am

Poor Old Lu means that Lu was poor and old! (I'm kidding)
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 1:14 pm

Decyfer Down originally started out as Allysonhymn (pronounced All-eyes-on-Him). They later changed their name to just "Decyfer" -the spelling unique just to be cool.

The rest I got from an interview with them... however, they never say what the "Down" part means:

Q. I am curious, what’s the meaning out behind Decyfer Down?
A. The meaning of ‘decipher’ is to interpret something of worth. We chose the name because it represents our purpose and vision for the band: to interpret what God has done in our life and through our music.
Back to top Go down
xenonlion

xenonlion

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 1:28 pm

Maybe they added the Down part because they liked how it sounded.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 3:10 pm

^ I'm down with that
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 4:21 pm

When the Interpreter get his you call out, "Decypher Down!"
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 4:37 pm

Laughing 

(here's one for Staybrite:)

What does Queensryche mean ?
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3496
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 5:10 pm

It belongs to the queen of the reich!!!
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 5:28 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Laughing 

(here's one for Staybrite:)

What does Queensryche mean ?

Next you'll ask Kerrick where the name Iron Maiden came from!  Laughing 

Queensryche used to be known as "The Mob" and they played mostly cover songs (from Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, etc.) with a few originals tossed in (hey it was the 80's all aspiring young bands played covers).  They recorded their 4 song EP and as they were going to press it their manager told them they were going to need to change their name (not sure exactly why, I think another band might have been using it and they just changed it in order to avoid confusion).  So they made their name from a track they had recorded for the EP titled "Queen of The Reich"....and hence Queensryche was born.  Rumor had it they added the umlauts over the letter "y" to make the name seem more European.

Sadly the 3 remaining original band members are currently in a legal battle with their former lead singer over the rights to the name Queensryche (they fired the vocalist in 2012 after an incident where he physically assaulted and spit on the other band members before and during a concert).  To add to the confusion both the lead singer and the remaining band members each released a "Queensryche" titled album last year with completely separate line-ups.  It's really sad.

Last edited by Staybrite on Fri Apr 25, 2014 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 5:38 pm

Sad and dumb. TheGeoff needs to get over himself.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 7:08 pm

Redeemed Fool wrote:
Sad and dumb. TheGeoff needs to get over himself.

Agreed.

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 7:38 pm

^ wow, (cool about the name, but...) I didn't know any of that... really sucks. It makes you wonder how any band members last as long as they do though, I can't imagine being with 3 other "co-workers" all the time, trying to create all the time - with different creative ideas butting heads, hours on the road and on the stage together...

People who think the rock star life is so cool, isn't considering the whole picture. Those 4 or 5 guys posing for a cool picture for Hit Parade magazine, looking all cool and being silly, may have arrived at the photo shoot during a huge fight.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 10:33 pm

Ok, so what is a Lordchain?

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 25, 2014 10:47 pm

Ooooh good one !!

Anyone know Staybrite's question: What does Lordchain mean ?
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 26, 2014 2:11 am

Staybrite wrote:
Ok, so what is a Lordchain?
Four or more British Royalty holding hands.
Back to top Go down
xenonlion

xenonlion

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 12:54 pm

A chain that was owned by a lord.

This is easy.  Cool
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 3:02 pm

xenonlion wrote:
A chain that was owned by a lord.

This is easy.  Cool
 lol!
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 27, 2014 5:01 pm

Wow... we have a bunch of commode-ians here don't we  Laughing 

Just kidding...

So I looked it up and found the answer in an interview off Metal Pulse:

"Does the name Lordchain have any special meaning?"

"I remember playing Christian clubs in Memphis in the early to mid 90s and we would sit backstage with the other bands we were playing with and pray together before the show. We didn’t know these guys, but we had this connection, like we were linked together for one common purpose. That’s what the name means to me. A perfect stranger can be your brother or sister in Christ. One of the bands we prayed and played with was called ‘Seraph’. The lead singer was John Cooper who now fronts Skillet."

Pretty interesting eh ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Does ----- Mean ?   What Does ----- Mean ? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Does ----- Mean ?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: Warped Drive - General Discussion-
Jump to: