Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Engineering Thread

Go down 
+2
topshot rhit
kerrick
6 posters
AuthorMessage
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2013-07-17

The Engineering Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Engineering Thread   The Engineering Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 7:05 pm

Alright, well we've got us here a few engineers!  So rather than taking over the Random Ramblings thread, I thought we could have our own!  What type of engineering do you do?  What CAD software do you use, if at all?  Know any good engineer-jokes?  If you're not an engineer, do you have any friends who are?

Well, I'm a mechanical engineer.   What a Face   Graduated in May of 2010 from CSU, Chico.  I mostly design sheet metal enclosures and modifications to enclosures for electrical panels (like power distribution units and the like, i.e. big metal boxes with circuit breakers, switches, relays, terminal blocks, and lots of wires) though we've been doing a fair bit of design using T-slotted aluminum extrusions (80/20, Bosch, etc.).  It's a contract engineering/manufacturing firm so we do all sorts of stuff, though the emphasis is definitely more electrical.  I use SolidWorks for basically all my design but we recently bought Creo too.  Fun fun!   geek
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: The Engineering Thread   The Engineering Thread I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 15, 2014 8:25 pm

Trained as an electrical engineer but haven't done a bit since graduating. Should have been a CS or software engineer. Razz

No CAD involved in programming though I was very good in drafting so that was my main job back home before finally graduating, using a high-end CAD system designed by McDonnell Douglas called Unigraphics in the mid/late 80s to create 2D/3D models and drawings. It was very nice.

Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: The Engineering Thread   The Engineering Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 10:22 am

I received my BSIE from the University of Houston.  I currently work as a plastics engineer at one of the largest manufacturers of trash bags.  We're a house brand for several companies (Costco, Sam's, B&J's, Target, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.).  We utilize AutoCAD and have drafters that we work with for our drawings.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23422
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: The Engineering Thread   The Engineering Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 2:35 pm

Got my BSCE (Civil Engineering) from the University of Washington back in 1998. I worked for about 9 months as a Geotechnical Engineer (soils engineering) before deciding I needed to switch to Structural Engineering (buildings). Civil Engineering is a broad based degree that covers Water Management, Evironmental, Structural, Geotechnical, Transportation, and Construction Engineering. Most CE's specialize in one of those fields. Us structural guys don't typically draft (except by hand on occasion for small stuff) so we employ drafters to draw up our plans. We use AutoCAD, and tons of other software for design.

Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: The Engineering Thread   The Engineering Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 4:26 pm

I once drove and electric train set.  That makes me an engineer, right?

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: The Engineering Thread   The Engineering Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 4:52 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Got my BSCE (Civil Engineering) from the University of Washington back in 1998.  I worked for about 9 months as a Geotechnical Engineer (soils engineering) before deciding I needed to switch to Structural Engineering (buildings).  Civil Engineering is a broad based degree that covers Water Management, Evironmental, Structural, Geotechnical, Transportation, and Construction Engineering.  Most CE's specialize in one of those fields.  Us structural guys don't typically draft (except by hand on occasion for small stuff) so we employ drafters to draw up our plans.  We use AutoCAD, and tons of other software for design.

Ah yes, I remember them talking about those Evironmental Engineers in high school at Career Day Very Happy

Although, all of us want to be Imagineers at Disney Epcot.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: The Engineering Thread   The Engineering Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 5:49 pm

Through The Dark Radio wrote:
Staybrite wrote:
Got my BSCE (Civil Engineering) from the University of Washington back in 1998.  I worked for about 9 months as a Geotechnical Engineer (soils engineering) before deciding I needed to switch to Structural Engineering (buildings).  Civil Engineering is a broad based degree that covers Water Management, Evironmental, Structural, Geotechnical, Transportation, and Construction Engineering.  Most CE's specialize in one of those fields.  Us structural guys don't typically draft (except by hand on occasion for small stuff) so we employ drafters to draw up our plans.  We use AutoCAD, and tons of other software for design.

Ah yes, I remember them talking about those Evironmental Engineers in high school at Career Day Very Happy

Although, all of us want to be Imagineers at Disney Epcot.

Hey! I'm good at math....I don't have to be able to spell too!!!

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: The Engineering Thread   The Engineering Thread I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 16, 2014 5:50 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
I once drove and electric train set.  That makes me an engineer, right?

Yes that makes you an engineer.

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: The Engineering Thread   The Engineering Thread I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 6:33 am

Ah, that's a classic missing from the Joke thread. "How does a train hear? With its engine ears!"

Ok, I'm done. Razz

Question… What branch of engineering is transportation network planning (like building a road/rail network, or designing a train/bus/airport station)?
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: The Engineering Thread   The Engineering Thread I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2014 11:30 am

Driven wrote:

Question… What branch of engineering is transportation network planning (like building a road/rail network, or designing a train/bus/airport station)?

Most likely a combination of City Planning (not an engineering degree) and Transportation Engineering (which is a branch of Civil Engineering here in the U.S.) Most transportation engineers work on streets and roads in my country. The design of the stations themselves fall under "building design" and would be designed by an Architect and Structural Engineer (again Structural Engineers are a branch of Civil Engineering in the U.S.)

PostSubject: Re: The Engineering Thread   The Engineering Thread I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Engineering Thread
Page 1 of 1