Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Hmmm, am i missing something here ?

Go down 
+10
topshot rhit
rockerVu2
Driven
BearDad
Staybrite
Redeemed Fool
Through The Dark Radio
messiaen77
alldatndensum
Guilty/Forgiven
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 16, 2014 9:06 pm

{{Hit's head like he could have had a V8}}

yeh.... that's probably it... wow, didn't think of that
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 7:01 am

Quote :
Egads. When did "Christian" become a genre ?

When people started noticing that it was out there.  The term started very early with bands like Petra and other CCM artists in the 70s.  It was the world's way of pointing out that these people were singing about Jesus.  Before this, music that was about Jesus was referred to as "gospel" whether it was southern gospel or black gospel.  Classical pieces meant for choirs or orchestras was referred to as "sacred".  When we began to rock for The Rock, the term Christian rock came into play to let everyone know that these guys might sound like the world, but they ain't selling the sex, drugs, & rock n' roll like everyone on the radio.  However, this was more of the world's doing as many folks within the church did not recognize the pioneers of Christian pop, rock, metal as being from God.  Some of the early Christian musicians have some nightmare stories about protests at their concerts with people throwing rocks at them--people who claimed to be Christians!

As long as the focus of the music is Jesus, you will ALWAYS be branded as "Christian music".  The world sees it that way, the major labels and radio stations see it that way, and so does the church for the most part.  It's marketed that way and it has worked.  To lose that tag, you will have to take Jesus out and just be a regular band.

To be honest, I don't care one way or the other if Christian music is referred to that way or not.  To quote from the great bard DC Talk, "I don't really care if they label me a Jesus freak--there ain't no disguising the Truth!"

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 9:13 am

Good stuff Chris. Thanks for that. I totally get it too. My concern though is, when searching the internet or even ebay for "Christian rock" or "Christian Metal" you get everything from Tourniquet to The Gaither Vocal band... If they want to consider our music a subgenre so to speak, let them. But in doing so, they must separate the styles - so if I want to find other bands that sound like Stryper (that are also Christian), I should be able to do a search on the internet as I would for "Poison" and get the correct results = Poison is to Cinderella as Stryper is to ?

Something that searched not only musical style but vocal delivery as well. (I know, I'm dreaming on this one and should just stop now)
Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2013-10-24

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 10:49 am

And then Obama will admit his healthcare plan was a crock and apologize.

Suspect
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 11:21 am

lol!  You Rock
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 11:21 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Good stuff Chris. Thanks for that. I totally get it too. My concern though is, when searching the internet or even ebay for "Christian rock" or "Christian Metal" you get everything from Tourniquet to The Gaither Vocal band... If they want to consider our music a subgenre so to speak, let them. But in doing so, they must separate the styles - so if I want to find other bands that sound like Stryper (that are also Christian), I should be able to do a search on the internet as I would for "Poison" and get the correct results = Poison is to Cinderella as Stryper is to ?

Something that searched not only musical style but vocal delivery as well. (I know, I'm dreaming on this one and should just stop now)

Perhaps you need to be the one to build a site that breaks down those comparisons accurately?

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23430
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 11:35 am

I've been to some sites where they call any kind of music by Christians "gospel" from Tourniquet to Twila Paris it's all the same.....NOT.

I remember one site (many moons ago so I forget what site) where they just called it all "religious" so a bunch of it wasn't even Christian.

xenonlion

Number of posts : 1689
Registration date : 2013-08-19

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 11:47 am

A website like G/F and alldat are describing would be really cool and useful, actually. Smile They're extremely useful for when you've first started listening to Christian stuffs, too.

Also when G/F said that one could find Gaither Vocal band while searching "Christian rock" or "Christian metal" I imagined someone looking up Crimson Moonlight and seeing Gaither Vocal band. I would laugh so hard if that happened to me.
 ROTFL
Back to top Go down
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 1:36 pm

Staybrite wrote:
I've been to some sites where they call any kind of music by Christians "gospel" from Tourniquet to Twila Paris it's all the same.....NOT.

I remember one site (many moons ago so I forget what site) where they just called it all "religious" so a bunch of it wasn't even Christian.

I hate when  I get a new CD and rip it to my computer, or download new MP3s from Amazon, only to discover that the ID3 tags say "religious" for the genre. What's more "Christian Rock" and "Christian Metal" aren't even available for any re-tagging software I've used, while "Christian Rap" and "Christian Hip Hop" are.  Excuse me!!!???
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 1:45 pm

Get a Zune.  Those tags are available and you have the ability to add your own.

Oh, crap.  Microsoft stopped making the Zune.  I am so sorry that you will be stuck with an iPod.

Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3874

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 2:33 pm

MP3Tag used to let you put whatever you wanted in the tags at least. V2.39 was the one I used. Foobar 2000 (my media player) does as well so I just use it now.

Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 2:36 pm

This thread derailed so bad I think the Canadian Express is somewhere in Georgia.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 2:36 pm

I think I have opened up some major discussion, and possiblty some canned worms, on the CHM Facebook page.  I am having fun with this!  LOL

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 2:47 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
This thread derailed so bad I think the Canadian Express is somewhere in Georgia.

True, but if it hadn't derailed it would have just stalled on the tracks at the beginning of page 2

Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 2:52 pm

Stalled on the Tracks.  That sounds like a good title for a song about stagnancy in the church!

Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 3:02 pm

You just gave yourself a good Mo1 idea. Follow up on that. Smile
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 3:14 pm

I want credit !!!  Tongue
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 3:23 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
I want credit !!!  Tongue

Technically I would get the credit, you would just get the assist.  Twisted Evil 

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 17, 2014 3:59 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Get a Zune.  Those tags are available and you have the ability to add your own.

Oh, crap.  Microsoft stopped making the Zune.  I am so sorry that you will be stuck with an iPod.

Actually, I use AIMP3. It allows me to use whatever I want; I just find it ironic that the only "Christian XXX" genre, if we are OK calling it a genre, that the world seems to care about is the only style of music that I rarely have any desire to listen to.
Back to top Go down
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 1:07 am

I know I'm late to the party here, but just to clarify, OF COURSE I was joking about the Fight Before Surrender quote.  I sometimes forget that in cyberspace, no one can see you smirk.  It actually succinctly summed up my feelings on this whole "Christian" music label.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 8:12 am

OK, I stand slightly corrected concerning AIMP3's genre selections; looks like they do have Christian Rock at least ...

Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 Aimp3genrelist

But Christian Gangsa Rap?  Really!?  Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 Scratching%20head
Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 10:00 am

How many genres and sub-genres do we need?
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 10:37 am

Xid wrote:

Back to top Go down
Xid

Xid

Number of posts : 5517
Registration date : 2014-03-12

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 18, 2014 12:38 pm

Neutral
Back to top Go down
http://www.joshuascreed.com
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 19, 2014 8:08 am

Through The Dark Radio wrote:
Xid wrote:

At LEAST that many! Don't forget about Christian Black Metal, Christian Hair Metal, Christian Death Metal, Christian Power Metal, etc. And while we are discussing this, I think we should add Classic Christian Rock, Christian Classic Rock, Classic Christian Black Metal, Christian Classical, Christian Club, Classic Christian Club, and so forth.

Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 Sarcasmalert
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hmmm, am i missing something here ?   Hmmm, am i missing something here ? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hmmm, am i missing something here ?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next