Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Any Electronics Buffs Around Here?

Go down 
+2
topshot rhit
BearDad
6 posters
AuthorMessage
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

Any Electronics Buffs Around Here? Empty
PostSubject: Any Electronics Buffs Around Here?   Any Electronics Buffs Around Here? I_icon_minitimeSat Feb 15, 2014 9:51 pm

I inherited an old Zenith D910-11 console system from my grandfolks that worked really well except that the turntable had issues. I got the bright idea of replacing it with an RCA turntable I've had sitting on the shelf for years, and was doing really well in figuring things out. However, long story short I crossed a couple of wires that I shouldn't have and got a POP ... now the whole thing is toast. I think I blew what is essentially a fuse, but I don't know for sure. Here's a pic of the damage:

Any Electronics Buffs Around Here? Zenith

Before the mishap there were two items like the one circled in red, the second being where the red arrow is pointing. After the POP there was only one. If I knew what I could get to replace that I suspect I would have a working unit again.

If anyone has any ideas thanks in advance for the help. I still have a lot of vinyl and cassette to digitize and would rather not have to buy a new system to do it. Besides, it's just cool having my grandparents console stereo ... I don't want to toss it because I was stupid.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3872
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Any Electronics Buffs Around Here?   Any Electronics Buffs Around Here? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 12:36 pm

A fuse wouldn't care which way the wires are. Diode perhaps but too far away to say. Was it soldered in? What does all the writing on the survivor say?

If that is really the circuit diagram on the left, that would tell you for certain what it was.

Edit: well, a fuse will protect from shorts so if you shorted the wires then yes it could be a fuse. My statement above is meaning the wires going to the fuse can be swapped with no effect. The fuse just completes the circuit unless it gets too much current.

BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Any Electronics Buffs Around Here?   Any Electronics Buffs Around Here? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 12:53 pm

The wiring on the survivor is either TURBO1 or TURBOI.  The leftover cover for the blown one say <partial letter, possibly a D or O or 0>LEX 105C PVC<partial letter, possibly a P or F>. The edges are uneven, like they were cut quickly and by the corner of a razor blade, so I assumed the writing was indicative to the covering rather than what was covered.  The whole thing looks hand-made to me, but we are talking the 60's or 70's. Smile

The schematic is not like any I have ever seen:

Any Electronics Buffs Around Here? Zenith2

I don't really think it's a fuse, as I have never seen one explode like that (pop, smoke, burning smell). However, it LOOKS like an old bus fuse inside a plastic tube.

Here's a close-up of the damage

Any Electronics Buffs Around Here? Zenith3
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3872
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Any Electronics Buffs Around Here?   Any Electronics Buffs Around Here? I_icon_minitimeSun Feb 16, 2014 2:39 pm

Likely a paper capacitor. Caps can pop. Old caps need to be replaced anyway. I found this in a quick search that may help you out. http://antiqueradio.org/recap.htm

That's not really a schematic - just a layout so you can find the appropriate transistors.

Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

PostSubject: Re: Any Electronics Buffs Around Here?   Any Electronics Buffs Around Here? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 11:33 am

You broken the golden rule and let the magic smoke out.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Any Electronics Buffs Around Here?   Any Electronics Buffs Around Here? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 12:47 pm

^^  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Any Electronics Buffs Around Here?   Any Electronics Buffs Around Here? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 12:47 pm

I have decided to not pursue fixing the console.  a) a power supply will be tough to find, and b) fixing the existing power supply is beyond me. I'll probably build speaker boxes for the speakers and toss the rest.
Back to top Go down
MikeInFla

MikeInFla

Number of posts : 3116
Registration date : 2012-03-18

PostSubject: Re: Any Electronics Buffs Around Here?   Any Electronics Buffs Around Here? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:27 pm

As I suggested on the CMR, try an electronics or turntable forum first, I would hate to see a console unit go out to pasture.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23399
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Any Electronics Buffs Around Here?   Any Electronics Buffs Around Here? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 18, 2014 4:33 pm

That might be a good idea. I have an ex-coworker friend that rebuilt some old macs mostly just using info he got from a Mac forum and some youtube videos.

PostSubject: Re: Any Electronics Buffs Around Here?   Any Electronics Buffs Around Here? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 12:13 am

I'll likely keep it for a while, maybe offer it for sale on Craigs List or some such.  The speakers in it are awesome, so I'll definitely keep using it as a speaker set for now.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9945
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Any Electronics Buffs Around Here?   Any Electronics Buffs Around Here? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 12:49 pm

Is that Flux Capacitor set at 1.21 GW ? If not, then once the turntable reaches 88 RPM, the unit would need a bolt of lightning for it to work correctly... but you never know where or when a bolt of lightning is gonna strike.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

PostSubject: Re: Any Electronics Buffs Around Here?   Any Electronics Buffs Around Here? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 19, 2014 1:05 pm

A bolt of lightning hit it, but I wasn't at 88 rpm yet, so it fried my flux capacitor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Any Electronics Buffs Around Here?   Any Electronics Buffs Around Here? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Any Electronics Buffs Around Here?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: Warped Drive - General Discussion-
Jump to: