Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What's in a name?

Go down 
+8
kerrick
Staybrite
Through The Dark Radio
Redeemed Fool
Guilty/Forgiven
rockerVu2
alldatndensum
BearDad
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
BearDad

Number of posts : 2101
Registration date : 2013-05-01

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 8:48 pm

I see all these usernames, like StayBrite and RockerVu2, and I wonder what they mean. Is it an inside joke, a nickname, or what?  Like a personalized license plate, usernames often mean something to the person that picked it but no-one else.  So I thought it would be fun and interesting to learn what other folks' usernames mean. Some are rather obvious, of course: Through the Dark Radio? Hmm.   Smile  But for the rest of us, those with not-so-obvious meanings behind our online monikers, let's spill the beans! I'll start...

When I was creating a profile for our new XBox a few years ago I chose the name BarrieDaddy, because my name is Barrie (yes, spelled wrong, but that's another story) and my kids call me Daddy. Not too long after that I joined a motorcycle forum and needed a username, so I chose BearDad as a shorter version of BarrieDaddy; easier to type, remember, and say. Besides, my folks and closest friends call me Bear and I'm a dad. Hmm...I just realized my wife never calls me Bear. Should I be concerned?  scratch  

An interesting but completely unintentional coincidence: when I was a kid my dad, whose name is Billie (yep, also spelled wrong) sometimes called himself Bildad in reference to the guy from the book of Job. You know, the shortest guy in the Bible? Bildad the Shuhite man. only as high as a shoe. Sorry...stupid kid's joke! jocolor 

Another interesting tidbit: when typing my nickname in correspondence my folks insist on spelling it B-A-R-E. Somehow I don't think BareDad would make a good username unless I'm on a forum that I really should not be on! Shocked 

OK .. who's next?
Back to top Go down

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 9:27 pm

Interesting!

I was in a band we affectionately called Judah.  After finding out that there were many a band called Judah we decided to change our name to Cross Eyed Clyde.  Our guitarist got on AIM and chose the handle XIDgtr.  So I set up xidbass.  I then shortened to Xid (pronounced "zid") when I started doing some gaming.  So my name really is Cross Eyed.
Back to top Go down
BearDad

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 9:32 pm

Cool!

What's in a name? Crosseyed

BTW, I love your current sig statement. I've used a few comments like that myself here and there in my code.
Back to top Go down

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 11, 2014 9:53 pm

Nice!  I was helping somebody on the phone when they read off an error message followed by some code.  That was in it.  I about busted a gut!
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 8:39 am

Mine is just a nonsensical word I made up when the phase "I'm all that and then some" was flying around.  Sadly, there is no real meaning to it.  I just picked this because I had not seen anything else like it online.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 9:08 am

My name has not really a meaning.
It's something I created a long time ago.
V2 mean for Him !!!
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 10:00 am

I never knew that Vonnie - that's a very cool name now that I know what it means !

Mine was changed from a band I favored quite a bit (ApologetiXFreak) as I realized I would become pigeonholed with one band's name for all eternity.... so I changed it. I tried to think of the best way to describe myself (which technically the simple phrase belongs to all who are His children) -I am at this current moment Guilty, but at the same time God says I'm Forgiven. It is an enigma to me, beyond my understanding and even hard to grasp most days... but I accept it and that is why I chose my name (which will last a lot longer than my love for one band.. haha)
Back to top Go down
Redeemed Fool

Redeemed Fool

Number of posts : 1093
Registration date : 2013-10-24

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 11:29 am

My is self explanatory but the Fool part is oh, so true.
Back to top Go down
Through The Dark Radio

Through The Dark Radio

Number of posts : 4330
Registration date : 2013-09-17

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 11:31 am

Mine is really complicated . . . . it's the name of my internet radio show on Untombed Radio Thursday from 9 PM until 11 PM EST Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 11:32 am

(I've always loved your screen name "Redeemed Fool" - so cool and very true of us, His children)
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23430
Registration date : 2007-02-08

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 1:56 pm

Redeemed Fool wrote:

For some reason I keep thinking of you as "Blackrider".  lol! 

Redeemed Fool

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 2:19 pm

That was the name for years.
Back to top Go down
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3506
Registration date : 2013-07-17

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 2:24 pm

Kerrick is what my parents named me!
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 12, 2014 4:55 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Redeemed Fool wrote:

For some reason I keep thinking of you as "Blackrider".  lol! 

Yep, me too. Memories of the old CMR, not necessarily good memories (I was an idiot then, still kind of am)…

My name change is relatively recent, and most of you know the story of my name already, but for a while, I went as danielbandfan (seeing that the Daniel Band basically got me into Christian rock/metal). I stole the name from a guy on YouTube, though, so I didn't feel right about it. So when I got into Rush, I wanted to pick a name that reflected my interest for Rush, but that could also be more general than just that. "Driven" is one of the singles from Test For Echo, and has a really catchy odd-time riff, that I like. Also, driving is one of my main passions, so Driven reflects that too. Finally, as G/F has pointed out, it can be taken to mean that Christ drives me on. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 7:14 am

Quote :
Yep, me too. Memories of the old CMR, not necessarily good memories (I was an idiot then, still kind of am)…

Let me be the first to commend you, Driven.  When you first came to CMR, I will be of the first to admit that I did not like you at all.  You were this goofy kid that just rubbed a lot of us the wrong way.  I got a lot of PMs from various members begging for me to ban you while I was still a moderator.  I wanted to, but I could find no real reason in the rules to be honest.

Since then, I've watched you mature and grow into a fine young man.  I love your dedication to learning to play various instruments and your consistent love for the Lord.  I may not have liked you at one time, but I do now consider you a friend.  I just thought you needed to know that.

OK, man love time over.  Who can I insult next?   lol!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 9:18 am

Yep, Driven has become a cool young guy.

I'm not really a fan of CMR anymore.
I've posted more on the old CMR.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 11:40 am

Driven wrote:

At least you have youth as an excuse (and probably a good one at that). Many of us older persons act like idiots without any decent excuse at all.
 Thumbs Up 

Staybrite

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 11:51 am

I have given the reason for my screen name a few times on various boards over the years (but can't find a single post to copy...).

I started on the message boards at the CMR back in 2005 they were hosted at a different board system at the time that linked directly to CHM and several hundred other boards and you could not repeat a single name with any of the thousands of other users.  I was looking for a name that professed my new found love of Christian metal and tried all sorts of cliche names (Whitemetalfan, Rock4theRock, etc.) and absolutely every name I tried was taken.  After nearly a dozen tries I gave up and used a spelling variation on an old nick-name given to me in the Army.

I was a pretty decent soldier in the Army, and my platoon sergeant nick-named me Sta-Brite.  Sta-Brite was a company brand name that made military medals and insignia that were permanently "shiny" (so you didn't have to spend the time polishing them by yourself).  The nick-name stuck and most of the people in my Army unit called me "Staybrite".  However I haven't been in the military for nearly 20 years now, and nobody outside of the message boards calls me Staybrite.

What's in a name? Sta-brite_zpsaf485b36

Redeemed Fool

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 3:10 pm

Here I always thought you were trying to say you were the brightest star in the sky or something.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 3:57 pm

Redeemed Fool wrote:
Here I always thought you were trying to say you were the brightest star in the sky or something.

Ha, not likely.

What's funny is that because my name is kind of "sparkly, or flowery" I have often been mistaken for a female.

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 4:52 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Redeemed Fool wrote:

Ha, not likely.

What's funny is that because my name is kind of "sparkly, or flowery" I have often been mistaken for a female.

You're not!!!???

What's in a name? Shock
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 4:55 pm

Well that is me in my avatar (no not in the dog costume).  If I'm a chick....I am one seriously homely female....with lots of anatomy issues.

Redeemed Fool

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 7:49 pm

You do live in Seattle so........
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 7:55 pm

Redeemed Fool wrote:
You do live in Seattle so........

Yes but I don't wear Birkenstocks or go to Lilith Fair concerts....neither does my wife.  Tongue 

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitimeThu Feb 13, 2014 8:06 pm

Staybrite wrote:
Well that is me in my avatar (no not in the dog costume).  If I'm a chick....I am one seriously homely female....with lots of anatomy issues.

I don't know ... I think you're kinda cute. Oh wait!  You said you are NOT the one with the big nose?  My bad.  lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What's in a name? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's in a name?   What's in a name? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's in a name?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next