Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Scott Stapp

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5327
Registration date : 2007-05-04

Scott Stapp Empty
PostSubject: Scott Stapp   Scott Stapp I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 2:55 pm

Getting alot of repeated listens to this song!  The album is on my christmas list.

REALLY liking the vibe of the song...

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Scott Stapp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scott Stapp   Scott Stapp I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 8:27 am

The album is really good. I think the first 2 songs are very much Creed sounding but others aren't as much. Nothing wrong lyrically with the album, unless you don't like the D----t word. I actually read his book Sinners Creed so a lot of the songs are based off of things from that book that he went thru. I will also say, that after JWAR especially, the album goes into ballad mode pretty much there on out. The ballads do rock in some parts.

Also, Jesus Was A Rockstar is about the only song that is very Christianeese as far as lyrically. But like I said, its a good album. If you want a physical copy, I'd recommend getting it best buy, as they have 2 bonus songs on the album.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Scott Stapp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scott Stapp   Scott Stapp I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 8:47 am

I have the album and like it despite the fact that only one song is overty "Christian".  However, there are a couple of songs that are about love that would only make sense to me if it were in the context of Jesus' love for us.  The rest of the songs seem to be about Stapp's personal struggles.  For me, that really makes the "Jesus moments" shine out even more.  Why, you ask?  Because only in the midst of Stapp's personal struggles did he come to really know Jesus' love and forgiveness.  Even with the inclusion of the word "dammit" in the lyrics, it is used more to make you listen closer to see if you really heard what you think you heard and that then draws you into what Scott is singing about.

Musically, this is more multidimensional than Creed.  The first two or three songs would fit well with the Creed catelog, but Stapp takes some risks by keeping that edge on the songs but changing the style up a little like with "Jesus Was A Rockstar".  All in all, this is a great modern rock album with a lot of honesty about struggles and sinful pasts and victories in finding Christ.  While I wouldn't recommend this to the average church goer, I am enjoying this on the rawness and passion of the lyrics alone.  The music makes it that much better.  Add to that Stapp's signature gritty vocals where each song is constructed around, and you've got a winning combination.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5327
Registration date : 2007-05-04

Scott Stapp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scott Stapp   Scott Stapp I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 18, 2013 2:08 pm

Good reviews.

Here's Scotts take on the songs.

The story of Proof of Life starts at a chilling moment, Stapp’s realization that for much of his adult life he had been negotiating a “Slow Suicide,” the title of the album’s first single.  “When I began work on Proof, I was encouraged by my producer Howard Benson—who did a great job on Full Circle—to simplify and clarify my lyrical ideas,” Scott explains. “I’ve always been heavy on metaphor and symbols, even to where I might hide behind fanciful language. Howard helped me get straight to the point. The point is that for years I was slowly killing myself. Drugs and booze want to kill you instantly, but they’re patient and will take their time. The same is true of toxic relationships. I had to start off this story by declaring the most obvious of truths: that I had been torturing and poisoning myself in an attempt to snuff out my soul.”  “So many ways I choose to suffer, living a lie,” the lyrics say. “So many ways I chose to die.”
Who I Am” is a song in which self-destruction takes on still another form.  “Who I Am,” Stapp states, “is the first composition in which I embody a character. That character is pure unadulterated ego. Unchecked, ego can take you down as quickly as the deadliest drug. When stardom came my way, I tripped out on ego. I OD’d on ego. And on this record I wanted to expose ego for what it is; I wanted to give ego a voice; I wanted ego to unleash its rage and express its need to possess my soul. In no uncertain terms, ego says, `I came to destroy.’ Pernicious raw ego stands as an enemy to peace of mind and is the counterpoint to much of this record’s dramatic tension.”
The key to title song—“Proof of Life”—is the question, “Are you playing the victim when you know that you volunteered?”  “Victimhood,” says Scott “did me in for years. You couldn’t tell me that I was responsible for the choices I’d made. Yet until I owned up to that responsibility, I couldn’t accept my story. My day-by-day recovery is anchored in the acceptance of my past as the necessary link to my present and future. When I sing, `You can’t deny the truth that hits you right between the eyes,’ that truth is rooted in accountability. And the most profound truth—as well as the most profound proof—is that I’m alive today because I’m accountable for my thoughts and actions as an imperfect human being.”
“New Day Coming” is one of the several songs of celebration that give Proof of Life such a positive flavor. “I’m more positive than at any time in my life,” Stapp explains. “That’s because I view my situation realistically. In the past I viewed my situation through a fog. But sobriety of body and spirit has lifted that fog. As the songs says, `I’m standing still on the edge of a knife, just ready for a fight.’ The fight, of course, is with the forces of negation: over-bloated ego and the old temptations of mind-altering toxins. Paradoxically, because I have surrendered—I’ve given up my willingness in favor of following the will of the spirit of love—I can claim victory and see the new day coming. Without the support of my wife Jacyln and our three kids—standing by me every step of the way—this new day would never be possible.”
Just as ego was personified in “Who I Am,” Stapp gives voice to the steadying and sacred force that keeps him afloat in “Only One.”  “It’s that still small voice inside,” he says, “that I call God. My heart tells me that God is always there, `even when you feel your breath fading from your lung,’ God is reaching out to accept you in ways that renew your spirit and energize your soul.
“Negative elements like overbearing ego are ongoing forces to be confronted. But in songs like ‘Break Out’ and ‘Hit Me More,’ I felt that not only was I was more prepared to take on those forces, I could turn the skirmishes into songs. Ironically, it was my son Jagger—for whom I wrote `With Arms Wide Open’—who had become a musician himself and wrote the opening lines for `Break Out’: `I’m gonna break out, I’m gonna break free.’ Inspired by my son, I got back in touch with the determination that I had first felt back in 1995 and the beginnings of Creed. This time, though, I reconnected to that drive with a far more mature perspective.”
“Hit Me More” revisits a horrific episode from Stapp’s past, the moment, as he recounts in Sinner’s Creed, when he jumped ten stories off a hotel ledge in Miami Beach and miraculously survived. With biblical overtones—“forty days of rain, forty nights it poured”—Scott now sees it a life-altering moment.  “A powerful proof of life moment,” he calls it. “Rationally, I should have been dead. Yet all it did was strengthen my conviction that, as hard as I tried to control or even end my story, my story was really out of my hands.”
“Jesus Was A Rock Star” represents another critical reconciliation. “I’ve been a Christian my entire life with a long history of moving from a narrow Bible-thumping literalism to a more inclusive theology that sees that God’s healing love is for everyone. When I was first labeled a rock star, though, I couldn’t bridge that notion with Jesus’ ministry. I saw rock stars—myself included—as self-consumed hedonists and materialists. But this song helped me understand that Christ’s glory—his thunderous love, his lion-like roar and the merging of his message and lifestyle—were not incompatible with the best qualities of rock stardom.
“In the situation I set up with `What Would Love Do,’ I had to call on those qualities. Here the story moves from a consideration of the nature of God to a real-life encounter between a man and a woman. In the heat of domestic dispute, can I find the composure to stop and ask the question, `What would love do?’ If I can pause and pose the query, the heat dissipates. Merely asking the question allows me, as I wrote, `to come out of the dark and step into the light.’”
That same question about emotional vulnerability underlines the song Stapp calls “Crash.” For the second time in Proof of Life, he dramatizes that moment when his life nearly ended–`standing in the place where, I once fell over the edge.’ He remembers the time when he “got lost in the masquerade,” yet claims to be “now crossing bridges that I’ve burned.”  “The bridges,” Scott explains, “are the songs I’m now singing. I’m singing to reaffirm the truth of my past condition—as painful as it was—so I can amplify the beauty of my present state. One of the sacred texts I’ve been reciting like a mantra is the Prayer of St. Francis. He wrote, `It is in dying that we awake to eternal life.’ ‘Dying to Live’ is my personalized version of that sacred text. I had to go through hell to get to heaven. I had to take that infamous fall–`forty feet I had to fall from grace’—to find clarity. It all had to happen. So I find myself dying—`dying to make up for lost time, dying to start this whole thing over, dying to see with brand new eyes, dying to love myself enough to just forgive.’”
Looking back over the monumental achievement of Proof of Life, Stapp reflects, “In nearly thirty years as a recording artist, I’ve never been so hands-on with a project. I was involved with every hit of the drumstick, every chord on the keyboard and every note of every guitar solo. My artistic life depended on it. I had to present the incontrovertible proof of my life in a candid and honest way that revealed the real me. If I’ve been able to do so, the reason is all about recovering the strength of my faith—the faith that lets us see that we are not only protected, but nurtured and preserved by a love that knows no limits.”

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Sponsored content

Scott Stapp Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scott Stapp   Scott Stapp I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scott Stapp