Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Christian Progressive Metal

Go down 
+5
Staybrite
Dynamis
kerrick
alldatndensum
kimberlily22
9 posters
AuthorMessage
kimberlily22

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-07-19

Christian Progressive Metal Empty
PostSubject: Christian Progressive Metal   Christian Progressive Metal I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 5:37 pm

Hey guys, I used to listen to some really somber progressive bands like Opeth,  Devin townsend and Porcupine Tree. I also like progressives/symphonic metal like Dream Theatre, Symphony X and Nightwish. (other bands-Between the Buried and me/orphaned land/enslaved) I'm basically looking for Christian alternatives for these bands. I really like anything progressive-creative fusions of jazz, metal and other genres. Progressive drumming/odd time signatures. haunting and beautiful melodies. Symphonic/theatrical metal. Any suggestions??
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23436
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Christian Progressive Metal   Christian Progressive Metal I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 5:58 pm

First of all, welcome to our board!

Second, I can't really help you myself.  I have never really been into progressive metal at all and just have nothing to reference your request by.  Several of our members here DO listen to music more like that and I am sure they can help you.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
kerrick

kerrick

Number of posts : 3491
Registration date : 2013-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Christian Progressive Metal   Christian Progressive Metal I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 6:07 pm

I like Aletheian and Becoming The Archetype for progressive death metal bands.  Twisted Into Form isn't Christian, but has the drummer from Extol (who I assume you're already familiar with?).  TIF is comparable to Spiral Architect and has a couple members from SA.

Oh, and WELCOME!
Back to top Go down
Dynamis

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Christian Progressive Metal   Christian Progressive Metal I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 8:12 pm

The best Christian progressive metal release, in my opinion is by Affector and entitled "Harmageddon".  Basically, "Harmageddon" is Biblical text set to Dream Theatre style progressive metal.

While not labelled a "progressive band" I would also recommend Theocracy.  Though widely considered an "epic melodic power metal band", Theocracy has a lot or progressive elements to its music.  There are also several other acts that walk a fine line between power/progressive metal such as Narnia, German Pascual, The Sacrificed, 7 Days, etc.

Shadow Gallery deserves mention as well.  No, not a Christian band but featuring many Christian members.  Shadow Gallery guitarist Gary Wehrkamp also participated on a progressive metal release under the name Amaran's Plight.

If you like progressive rock in general then Neal Morse also must be noted.  Also in terms of progressive rock Proto-Kaw, a project of Kerry Livgren, is also worth consideration.

Hope this helps are points you in the right direction.

Check out my Christian metal/hard rock review site while you are at it: http://www.angelicwarlord.com/

Also, welcome to CHM.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23368
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Christian Progressive Metal   Christian Progressive Metal I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 8:41 pm

What about Threshold? I think they might not be a Christian band (but have Christian members).
Oh and welcome to CHM!

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Christian Progressive Metal   Christian Progressive Metal I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 8:54 pm

Yes, UK progressive metal band Threshold has a Christian member in keyboardist Richard West, who wrote all the lyrics on the groups 2004 and 2007 releases "Subsurface" and "Dead Reckoning", respectively.

Also, I forgot to mention Veni Domine, who take a Gothic and doom-ish take on the progressive metal genre.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16551
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Christian Progressive Metal   Christian Progressive Metal I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 8:05 am

Hi kimberlily22, welcome to CHM.
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5302
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Christian Progressive Metal   Christian Progressive Metal I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 1:48 pm

One word...

Theocracy.

Best band ever!

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3868

PostSubject: Re: Christian Progressive Metal   Christian Progressive Metal I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 10:45 pm

Fundy wrote:
One word...

Theocracy.

Can't argue with that. First one that came to mind. Neal Morse was second. Going to have to look into Affector. Souljourners was another really good prog metal band but I don't know if they ever put out more than an EP. I know there are several others I enjoyed but it's been too long since I've done my show. Hmmm, you may like Delorean, too. At one time they had put up their final album for free.

mr.electric40

mr.electric40

Number of posts : 676
Registration date : 2009-10-10

PostSubject: Re: Christian Progressive Metal   Christian Progressive Metal I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 11:31 pm

Souljourners anyone???
Back to top Go down
http://www.whitethronereviews.blogspot.com
topshot rhit

PostSubject: Re: Christian Progressive Metal   Christian Progressive Metal I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 8:38 am

mr.electric40 wrote:
Souljourners anyone???

See above post. Very Happy

Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23368
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Christian Progressive Metal   Christian Progressive Metal I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 3:34 pm

Supernal Endgame is very prog as well, but probably not really metal.

http://www.supernalendgame.com/

PostSubject: Re: Christian Progressive Metal   Christian Progressive Metal I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 4:13 pm

A couple more that sifted up through the memory banks were Amaseffer and Promise Land.

PostSubject: Re: Christian Progressive Metal   Christian Progressive Metal I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 21, 2013 6:14 pm

Also worth checking out is Worldview. They just have the one song Far Cry out at the moment but the full length will be out soon. This band features Rey Parra from Sacred Warrior and George Ochoa from Deliverance and Recon
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Christian Progressive Metal   Christian Progressive Metal I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Christian Progressive Metal
Page 1 of 1