Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Cool discovery I just made

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

Cool discovery I just made Empty
PostSubject: Cool discovery I just made   Cool discovery I just made I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 4:02 pm

This sounds pretty cool. I like this guy's voice. Anyone else into ASFB?

Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Cool discovery I just made   Cool discovery I just made I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 5:20 pm

Kinda sounds like The Doors to me.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
nazpastor

nazpastor

Number of posts : 463
Registration date : 2007-05-01

PostSubject: Re: Cool discovery I just made   Cool discovery I just made I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 15, 2013 4:56 pm

They were all over the place musically. I have all of their albums, and they vary greatly. They had some pretty weird situations if you look into the band. One member was taken to a "de-programmer" because his family felt he was in a cult, which actually was not far off in the big scheme of things. Musically they were outstanding, but had some rather controversial beliefs which plagued the band as a whole.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9956
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Cool discovery I just made   Cool discovery I just made I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 16, 2013 4:49 pm

I dig their sound. I got 2 albums by them. Original vinyls go for a hefty price.

Naz, I wasn't aware of that stuff, pretty interesting - gonna hafta read up on them.
Back to top Go down
nazpastor

nazpastor

PostSubject: Re: Cool discovery I just made   Cool discovery I just made I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 10:56 am

From Mark Alan Powell's "Encyclopedia of Contemporary Christian Music"

"One-time Assemblies of God minister Larry Hill had founded the Church of the Risen Christ (first called Harper's Field Community Bible Church) in the late '60s. It was a Chritian commune overseen by Hill and his right-hand prophetess Diane Sullivan. Initially, they focused on street witnessing to lost souls out and about in Cleveland or to students at Kent State. The musical group was used only to attract crowds. After Schwartz [Glenn] and the talented Massmanns joined, however, the emphasis changed to focus primarily on the band. The community moved to a farm near Orwell, Ohio, where everyone worked to support the band's ministry. Hill kept total control over all finances. ASFB toured extensively and was eve named the official 1971 Mardi Gras band in New Orleans, designated to play the Mayor's Ball at City Hall. Meanwhile, Larry Hill had visions of the end of the world, which he published and declared the equivalent of Scripture. He determined that when redemption came, only members of his select group would be saved and so insisted that any who left the community's 'Arc of Safety' would be damned for all eternity. The community began to stockpile weapons and to train in martial arts. Then Hill designated all women in the group to be his inner circle and sexual servants. Men were relegate to living in the barn and were periodically shipped or humiliated for various infractions. Eventually, government agencies intervened amid allegations of child abuse, and Sullivan voluntarily incriminated herself on all accounts. Hill reportedly fled the state to avoid prosecution."
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Cool discovery I just made   Cool discovery I just made I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 11:07 am

WOW.... I had no idea... Shocked

I haven't noticed any of the weird stuff in their lyrics, but I haven't read them in depth either.  Are you aware of anything aberrant in their lyrics ?
Back to top Go down
nazpastor

nazpastor

PostSubject: Re: Cool discovery I just made   Cool discovery I just made I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 11:07 am

The above information I posted used to be available online, but I cannot find it any longer. There is an ASFB website: http://allsavedfreakband.com/ that gives more of the bands history than just the dark hours of it written about in Powell's article. The legitimate members of the band are still affiliated with the website, but Larry Hill is not affiliated with the band at all, and has not been since the early 70's.

Here is the information about Glen Schwartz that I referred to, taken from a Wikipedia article:

In February 1975, after lead guitarist Glenn Schwartz's family grew concerned about the deteriorating social conditions at the church's communal farm, they had him kidnapped for an intense, three day "deprogramming" effort by famed cult deprogrammer, Ted Patrick.[8][9] The attempt was unsuccessful and the Band issued their third album, Brainwashed in, as what one ex-member termed, "a cynical response" to critics of the band's lifestyle. Brainwashed is listed as album #4 on the "Top 50 Collectible Jesus Music Albums of all Time," compiled by contemporary Church historian, David DiSabatino.[10] "This is a tough band to figure out. With some of the best Christian 70s rock by anyone anywhere their music is stunningly powerful with a dark, creeping psychrock menace achieved via songwriting and guitar/organ arrangements that spell big league all the way. If "For Christians, Elves & Lovers" is the mellower side of ASFB, "Brainwashed" is the flip side of the coin. This album is non-stop sizzling stuff with plenty of heavy organ, harmonica and, of course, Glenn Schwartz's searing guitar fireworks. This is an incredible album folks. So much variety here, too - it never gets boring." [11]
Back to top Go down
nazpastor

nazpastor

PostSubject: Re: Cool discovery I just made   Cool discovery I just made I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 11:17 am

G/F, I never noticed much in the way of faulty theology or anything in their lyrics really, but there was some stuff in their last two albums that did seem as if they were lashing out at those who didn't believe their way. I think Brainwashed is predominately a reaction to the Glenn Schwartz incident as described in the articles. Otherwise, I never noticed anything much.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Cool discovery I just made   Cool discovery I just made I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 17, 2013 2:18 pm

Very cool. Thanks for the info bro !
Back to top Go down
ishmael81

ishmael81

Number of posts : 3417
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: Cool discovery I just made   Cool discovery I just made I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 3:56 pm

Is it just me or do all these religious extremists have 3 things in common: sexual slaves, everyone else is damned to Hell and visions of the end of the world.  Think about it.  That Mormon pastor who went to prison a year or so ago said the same garbage, Jim Jones, David Koresh, etc.  When is a cult leader going to get creative?
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Cool discovery I just made   Cool discovery I just made I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 4:49 pm

ishmael81 wrote:
Is it just me or do all these religious extremists have 3 things in common: sexual slaves, everyone else is damned to Hell and visions of the end of the world.  Think about it.  That Mormon pastor who went to prison a year or so ago said the same garbage, Jim Jones, David Koresh, etc.  When is a cult leader Satan going to get creative?

Pardon the correction Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

PostSubject: Re: Cool discovery I just made   Cool discovery I just made I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 18, 2013 4:55 pm

I've often wondered 2 things in life:

One, why do people KEEP getting sucked into these cults and KEEP following freaks (even after ALL the examples that have been given over the years)?

Two, when are people going to realize that they can't kill someone and get away with it ? (my wife always watches these forensic shows and murderers ALWAYS get caught, even if it's 40 years later)

Those are my 2 questions to mankind (and womankind)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cool discovery I just made   Cool discovery I just made I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cool discovery I just made
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: