Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ivory Moon???

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
rageofcr

Ivory Moon??? Empty
PostSubject: Ivory Moon???   Ivory Moon??? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2007 3:29 am

Is this a Christian band? I heard they were.

http://www.myspace.com/ivorymoonofficial

They are called "epic symphonic metal" but IMHO they don't come close to most the bands I listen to in that genre. They sound "ok" but nothing really great enough for me to run out and purchase. They seem to have a lot of potential but for now they sound like a typical Euro-speed metal band. I am mostly just wondering if they are really a Christian band.
Back to top Go down
Dynamis

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Ivory Moon??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ivory Moon???   Ivory Moon??? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2007 4:54 am

Quote :
Is this a Christian band? I heard they were.

Good question. It has always been my understanding Ivory Moon is not a Christian band but rather includes several Christian members, which influences the lyrics to "Human Nature". As a matter of fact, in my review of the album I wrote the following:

"While not a Christian band, Ivory Moon does interweave occasional Christian imagery in its lyrics throughout the project. “Golgota”, a dramatic track portraying the events leading up to and including Christ’s crucifixion, showcases this best. Other numbers worth noting include “In The Deep Forest” – which focuses on seeing God in creation – and the eternal themes present in “Phantom Ship”."

Quote :
They are called "epic symphonic metal" but IMHO they don't come close to most the bands I listen to in that genre.

I labeled them the same because that is how the band describes its music. Actually, the progressive feel to Ivory Moon is quite understated.

Quote :
They sound "ok" but nothing really great enough for me to run out and purchase.

I felt the same after listening to "Human Nature" the first couple of times but with repeated listen - six or seven spins, as a matter of fact - the CD really grew on me.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3868
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Ivory Moon??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ivory Moon???   Ivory Moon??? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2007 9:46 am

The label had told me:
Quote :
They sound something like Nightwish/Rhapsody, with both female and male vocals. They aren't a christian band though, so I don't know if they are something for you. But 3 of the members are christians, and the lyrics are very positive.

rageofcr

Ivory Moon??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ivory Moon???   Ivory Moon??? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2007 11:19 am

Ok, thanks guys. Since they aren't Christian I have even less reason to follow up on this band. I really think they sound second rate. Nowhere close to the quality of Nightwish or Rhapsody.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23368
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Ivory Moon??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ivory Moon???   Ivory Moon??? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2007 1:45 pm

I listened to their songs on myspace the other day, and wasn't terribly impressed. But for some reason it seems that this genre has become rather "generic" sounding to me. Christian or not, I'm probably gonna pass on this one.

Ivory Moon??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ivory Moon???   Ivory Moon??? I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 13, 2007 2:12 pm

It's become "generic" sounding because many incompetent bands (both Christian and secular) are flooding the market and creating music that they just don't have the talent and/or passion for. If you want some really incredible stuff in the epic/symphonic genre of metal look no further than the new releases from Kamelot and Nightwish. These are literally two of the best albums I have ever heard in my entire life. The genre is still strong and amazing but the flood of new bands is sort of remniscent of the glam band glut that happened at the end of the 80's. Everyone wanted to sound and look the same so we ended up with tons of second rate posers. A similar thing is happening now with the symphonic metal scene. Although we really could use a couple Christian oriented bands that play this style. We could really use a Christian oriented band that incorporates thrash the way Symphony X does as well. I have never heard another band pull that off like they do either. Problem is I don't like most of Symphony X lyrics.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23368
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Ivory Moon??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ivory Moon???   Ivory Moon??? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 14, 2007 4:37 pm

rageofcreation wrote:
....The genre is still strong and amazing but the flood of new bands is sort of remniscent of the glam band glut that happened at the end of the 80's. Everyone wanted to sound and look the same so we ended up with tons of second rate posers....

I think you have probably hit the nail on the head there (or darn close to it).

Ivory Moon??? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ivory Moon???   Ivory Moon??? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ivory Moon???
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: