Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete

Go down 
+2
Guilty/Forgiven
Staybrite
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete  Empty
PostSubject: The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete    The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 3:47 pm

My wife was driving yesterday and called be about a radio contest she was listening too. They were asking what was the first song to feature the words "heavy metal". Of course I knew that it was Steppenwolf's "Born to Be Wild" but that's not my point here. Her question reminded me of something. I listened to so much music in the 80's that I became somehting of an expert amongst my friends. For years they would call me up and ask me questions about who sang what song (etc.). About 9 out of 10 times I could remember the artist, song, or album that they were thinking of. But in the last decade (or more) I haven't heard from a single old friend or family member asking me a question about an 80's artist and I kind of miss it. I almost certain all those people are asking Google those questions now.

Makes me a little sad. Crying or Very sad

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9927
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete    The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 3:58 pm

That cracked me up ! lol! Reason is, I can relate. In my case though, much of my family (brothers, parents) don't have the internet (go figure), so I still get to be the trivia brain for useless music info.

My wife still feeds that part of me too by playing music trivia with me on long trips. We flip through radio stations and I tell her names of songs, bands, years, etc. TOTALLY useless info, but it makes you feel smart doesn't it ? Laughing
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete    The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete  I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 29, 2012 6:11 pm

I'm one of those useless-info people for certain things, like history and stuff. I'm not quite familiar with a LOT of hits from way-back-when (Razz), but I do like pointing out historical monuments, and useless information about companies and stuff.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete    The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 12:20 am

I just wish I could still feel like a music expert at all. I've met lots of people online who put my musical knowledge, not to mention my music collection, to shame.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23441
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete    The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 9:15 am

I used to be one of the "useless knowledge" kind of people when it came to music. The internet has allowed me to let a lot of this slide. I don't feel the need to remember it all as I can just look it up now.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete    The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete  I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 30, 2012 1:04 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
.... TOTALLY useless info, but it makes you feel smart doesn't it ? Laughing

I think you totally nailed it on the head there.

TT wrote:
I just wish I could still feel like a music expert at all. I've met lots
of people online who put my musical knowledge, not to mention my music
collection, to shame.

Oh yes, same here. But in the pre-internet days none of my friends or family had access to those people.

Alldat wrote:
I used to be one of the "useless knowledge" kind of people when it came
to music. The internet has allowed me to let a lot of this slide. I
don't feel the need to remember it all as I can just look it up now.

I don't necessarily want to be one of those "useless knowledge people" but I can't make that info go away.... Laughing

Just_Sue

Number of posts : 811
Registration date : 2008-04-03

PostSubject: Re: The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete    The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete  I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 10:45 am

i can relate, but it's with movies.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete    The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete  I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 13, 2012 11:34 am

Just_Sue wrote:
i can relate, but it's with movies.

I have a friend who is like that with movies too, seems he can watch a movie once and remember most of the actors....and sometimes most of the characters names as well. I usually can't remember the name of someone I have been introduced to 5 minutes ago.

unworthy

Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2012-06-08

PostSubject: Re: The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete    The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete  I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 11:54 am

I can't relate. I have very little information.
Back to top Go down
http://www.tourniquetfan.net/me/
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete    The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete  I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 14, 2012 12:39 pm

unworthy wrote:
I can't relate. I have very little information.
lol!

PostSubject: Re: The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete    The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Interwebs Made Me Obsolete
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: Warped Drive - General Discussion-
Jump to: