Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Angelica

Go down 
+2
ChosenOne
messiaen77
6 posters
AuthorMessage
messiaen77

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Angelica Empty
PostSubject: Angelica   Angelica I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 11:52 am

Was I too critical of Angelica when I wrote them off all those years ago?
Back to top Go down
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Angelica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angelica   Angelica I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 5:12 pm

They were a great band. I acutally just picked up there debut on cd from ebay for about $10. I know Intense Millinneium had intentions of re-releasing it but not sure if it's ever going to happen. Didn't like Time is All it Talkes as much, but the other 3 were stellar. So I guess it depends on what you said about them. For me, there was nothing wrong with them
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23368
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Angelica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angelica   Angelica I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 5:39 pm

It kind of depends on the style you like, they are kind of syrupy. I remember the first album I got was "Rock Stock & Barrel" and I wasn't terribly impressed upon first listen. As a matter of fact I shelved it for several months. Upon further listens I came to appriciate it more. The I picked up the self-titled album, and Walkin' In Faith. They were both much better than RS&B IMO. I later found a very cheap copy of "Time is All it Takes" and I liked it even less than RS&B.....so IMO it depends on what album you are talking about.

messiaen77

Number of posts : 2152
Registration date : 2011-08-23

Angelica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angelica   Angelica I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 8:50 pm

Well, I really checked out after the first one. I heard "Carry Me" from RS&B on the Hot Metal compilation and wasn't too impressed, so I never bought anything after that. Anyway, I am in the process of putting all my old cassettes into digital and was listening to the rip I did of that cassette and started thinking it wasn't as bad as I remembered. I guess they hit around the same time I was starting to get into Deliverance, Vengeance (Rising), The Crucified, and The Lead, so I was moving away from melodic metal.

I stumbled onto something in the Wikipedia article on Christian metal that I didn't know was true (not that seeing it on Wikipedia makes it so; the same article uses "Hell No" as an example of Bride's speed metal period). Was Rob Rock really the vocalist for Angelica?
Back to top Go down
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

Angelica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angelica   Angelica I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 10:22 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
Well, I really checked out after the first one. I heard "Carry Me" from RS&B on the Hot Metal compilation and wasn't too impressed, so I never bought anything after that. Anyway, I am in the process of putting all my old cassettes into digital and was listening to the rip I did of that cassette and started thinking it wasn't as bad as I remembered. I guess they hit around the same time I was starting to get into Deliverance, Vengeance (Rising), The Crucified, and The Lead, so I was moving away from melodic metal.

I stumbled onto something in the Wikipedia article on Christian metal that I didn't know was true (not that seeing it on Wikipedia makes it so; the same article uses "Hell No" as an example of Bride's speed metal period). Was Rob Rock really the vocalist for Angelica?

He did all the lead vocals on the debut album except for the last song "Face to Face" which was sung by Ken Tamplin. He was never really a member of the band. I'm not sure of the whole story of why singer Andy Lyon, who is credited as the lead vocalist, wasn't the singer on the album.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Angelica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angelica   Angelica I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 25, 2011 10:33 pm

messiaen77 wrote:
Was Rob Rock really the vocalist for Angelica?

I'm fairly certain Andy Lyon(s) was the first singer for Angelica. Rumor has it that he was actually in the studio working on the vocals for the self-titled album, but Ken Tamplin was producing and pushing Andy really hard to get the vocals right. For some reason Andy quit (or was fired) and Ken asked Rob Rock if he could pinch hit for vocals on the album. So technically I don't think Rob was "in the band" he just sang on the first album. The vocals on the track "Face to Face" are actually sung by Ken Tamplin himself. Rumor has it Dennis Cameron really liked Ken's "scratch vocal" performance on the song so much that he insisted it stay as the official version for the album.

The vocalist for the second album was someone completely different and he only sang on that one album. Drew Bacca sings on "Rock Stock & Barrel", and shares lead vocal duites with Dennis for the final album.

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16551
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Angelica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angelica   Angelica I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 26, 2011 8:57 am

My big music book tells me that it was Rob Rock observed the vocals of the first album.
Even Ken Tamplin has sung a song on the first album.
Jerome Mazza was the new vocalist for the second album, he has sung all vocals.
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

Angelica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angelica   Angelica I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 7:03 am

I am a rarity in that I like all four Angelica albums. I really like Time Is All It Takes. It may be my favorite Angelica record. The lyrics are really good, and while it isn't metal, it still solid rock. Songs like Gotta Get Ready, Running Wild and Open Your Eyes are as crunchy as anything that came before. Drew Baca's vocals were perfect for Dennis Cameron's style and their last two records are both excellent.

Walkin' In Faith, I like, but I forget it too quickly after I turn it off. Not one hook remains in my mind. This is my least favorite.

The self-titled debut was very solid and I enjoy it quite a bit. I wish the production had made it a bit heavier. While I enjoy it, it's the most emasculated I've ever heard Rob Rock. His voice and that music just aren't a great match. That being said, there's still a lot of great songs there.

I wish Dennis Cameron would come back with some melodic rock again. Cynical Limit did nothing for me.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23436
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Angelica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angelica   Angelica I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 9:26 am

My view on Angelica is more akin to FOJ's. While I do like and own all four of their albums, my favorite is actually "Rock, Stock, & Barrel". The songs are well written, the production for the era is solid, and the songs have hooks that grab me. I have to agree that Rob Rock's vocals were good, but not exactly fitting, for the Angelica style. Dennis should have just asked Tamplin to do the whole record--not one song. The second disc has some excellent playing, but I didn't care for the vocals much at all. "Time Is All It Takes" was solid and really feels like the band was intentionally saying goodbye with the music. The album has a sad feeling to it in some places and I felt this way long before I knew they were calling it quits. I think that Cameron and Bacca were a fabulous mix.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Staybrite

Staybrite

Angelica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angelica   Angelica I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 5:09 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
..... I have to agree that Rob Rock's vocals were good, but not exactly fitting, for the Angelica style. Dennis should have just asked Tamplin to do the whole record--not one song. ...

I think that would have been an excellent idea. Angelica 158100

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16551
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Angelica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angelica   Angelica I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 29, 2011 6:26 pm

Time for a rerelease. Now with Ken Tamplin doing the vocals.
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

Angelica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angelica   Angelica I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 30, 2011 11:38 pm

rockerVu2 wrote:
Time for a rerelease. Now with Ken Tamplin doing the vocals.

It'll never happen, but boy would that be awesome!!!!
Back to top Go down

Angelica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angelica   Angelica I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 6:33 pm

Angelica is my absolute favorite Christian Band. I have all their albums on Cd, cassette and mp3 download. My favorite is 'walkin' in Faith."
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Angelica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angelica   Angelica I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 7:33 pm

Walkin' In Faith is a fantastic album. I would have liked to see the band continue with the same vocalist.

Angelica Empty
PostSubject: Re: Angelica   Angelica I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Angelica
Page 1 of 1