Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......

Go down 
+7
drumdude
topshot rhit
LateFortheParty
Fundy
Staybrite
7thSecond
alldatndensum
11 posters
AuthorMessage
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23441
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... Empty
PostSubject: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 4:15 pm

....I must confess that I am more excited about the releases of the upcoming Casting Crowns & Mercy Me CDs than I am about Grimmark & Rob Rock. affraid I love all of these bands, but I find that CC and MM seem to speak to me more on a personal level. Sure, Rob and Grimmark will wow me musically, but I find that the other two bands' songs tend to get me thinking about God a lot more.

OK, flame away!!! lol!

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rageofcr

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 6:14 pm

Yeah, I would have to disagree with you there because I don't like much modern rock... but... I also know the feeling. I have been getting some flameage because I like the new David Readman cd and the new Kamelot cd better than anything else that has come out this year. They aren't very metal sounding. To me strong songwriting (and lyrics that speak to me) is more important than how "heavy" an album is.
Back to top Go down
7thSecond

7thSecond

Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2007-04-27

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 6:51 pm

rageofcreation wrote:
Yeah, I would have to disagree with you there because I don't like much modern rock... but... I also know the feeling. I have been getting some flameage because I like the new David Readman cd and the new Kamelot cd better than anything else that has come out this year. They aren't very metal sounding. To me strong songwriting (and lyrics that speak to me) is more important than how "heavy" an album is.
I mean no direspect towards Chris but I've seen his musical taste grow mellower and mellower over the last couple of years. Sometimes I almost think it's time for him to change the name of this site. The "HARD" jusn't doesn't seem to fit him very well anymore. Your example isn't near as extreme as his by the way Norm. Shocked Oh yeah and this isn't a diss on Casting Crowns or Mercy Me by the way. I enjoy a little mellower stuff occassionally. I even own a Mercy Me album, albeit a Christmas album. Wink
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23373
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 7:45 pm

Actually I think Chris' taste have been rather varied for the last decade (or more) he is just finally coming out of the "soft rock" closet.

I liked the first Casting Crowns album for a few months and then grew very tired of it (too much overplay on the radio and church PA). I couldn't get into their second album at all.

Pretty much the same with Mercy Me.

I do have to agree with Norm, good song writing trumps "heavy" everytime with me. I would rather listen to the light sounds of some well executed pop rock band, then listen to any kind of heavy music with terrible songwriting (even from bands I really like).

Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 9:47 pm

Quote :
I mean no direspect towards Chris but I've seen his musical taste grow mellower and mellower over the last couple of years. Sometimes I almost think it's time for him to change the name of this site. The "HARD" jusn't doesn't seem to fit him very well anymore.

Oh, I still like to rock, but it's gotten to the point that so many rock/metal bands are just barely putting the gospel into their music anymore. I like Rob Rock, but I can't really say that his music really lifts my spirit up. Not many metal bands today have that same passion (at least on the surface) for Jesus as some of the older bands like Whitecross or Stryper. I know--they weren't perfect people, but their hearts were turned towards our Savior.

Mercy Me & Casting Crowns are not really modern rock, Norm. They're definitely CCM pop rock bands. But, their passion for Christ just flows through each song and connects with my heart. If there were a rock/metal band out there that could acheive that, then I'd be all over it like flies on stink. So much of the "hard music" scene has gotten to the point that it's more about selling CDs than connecting people to God. So, I've set my musical sights on bands/artists that seem to speak more to my heart than to my headbanging side. Call it mellowing out if you will; but in the end, I would rather listen to one band that can stir the embers of my soul than 10 that make my head bang.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
rageofcr

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2007 11:05 pm

7thSecond wrote:
Your example isn't near as extreme as his by the way Norm.
I think my example fits perfectly though because he is talking about being flamed for liking softer music. I have already been told that the new Kamelot is "weak" and "has no balls". Also talking about Readman (an artist more akin to Journey) on a board where the members favor artists like Overkill isn't an easy task either. I also understand the lyrical point of view. Although I don't enjoy the same evangelical style Alldat does I can still relate. I really get a lot out of both Readman and Kamelot's lyrics whereas many other heavier bands like Symphony X or Nevermore turn me off with their darker themes.

Alldat,
I have heard CC and MM but they just don't do much for me at all. I guess we just each have different tastes. I do still feel that I can relate to the being flamed for liking one band over another thing though.
I don't think Rob Rock or Narnia are in it just to sell cd's and their lyrics seem to be just as bold as Casting Crowns. Especially on Narnia's Enter The Gate cd. Do you like those as much as Casting Crowns?
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5307
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 2:15 am

It's good to like lots of different styles. And I know what you're saying, alldat, about the lyrical content. Sometimes I really want there to be some bold out and out Praise God lyrics, but it's all too few and far between. Letter 7 and the new Titanic were great to hear. Good albums with clear lyrics right the way through but there aren't that many in all truthfulness.

Rob Rock's album will be awesome, and the lyrics will be Christian, but he's not the sort of guy to write "God sent His Son to die for me". Sometimes I need those sorts of words!

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
LateFortheParty

Number of posts : 316
Registration date : 2007-08-01

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 10:17 am

I can't remember if I am supposed to flame Chris or post about my musical tastes changing Shocked .

Anyway, my musical tastes continue to "expand". I am listening to stuff hard and soft that I would not have listened to 15 years ago. My friends and family think that my tastes are getting heavier, and in a way, they may be, because I listen to more heavier stuff more frequently. But, 15 years ago I wouldn't have listened to Eva Cassidy or Myles Davis or Fernando Ortega, but I wouldn't be listening to X-Sinner, Deliverance, Rob Rock, Saint and all the "core" stuff Smile that I have been sampling.

I understand listening to stuff that speaks to you and moves you. I have always listened to Russ Taff and Degarmo and Key. Their music and lyrics deeply move me and I don't think that is going to change.

I am pretty moody and I PRN myself Laughing accordingly with music. But, for the past 10 years my music purchases have probably been 80% stuff that I would consider, for me, heavier/harder.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3869

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 10:57 am

alldatndensum wrote:
OK, flame away!!!
Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... Smiley-flamethrower

drumdude

drumdude

Number of posts : 875
Registration date : 2007-04-30

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 11:37 am

Im going to have to agree with alldat on this just because casting crowns mercy me and all that stuff it just speaks to me more then all the heavy metal stuff i still love to rock
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 2:38 pm

Well other than Topshot, it doesn't look like anyone flamed you.

I guess we're are not all as musically "narrow minded" as you might have thought.
Tongue

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 3:05 pm

Oh, my bad. I thought he WANTED to be flamed. geek

Maybe I should burn my classical CDs.

LateFortheParty

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 7:54 pm

Quote :
Oh, my bad. I thought he WANTED to be flamed. geek

I thought he did too, so, I was flamming him by NOT flamming him Razz .

I guess I need to hear more Casting Crowns and Mercy Me. The last time I heard a MM song was in church, and I asked the vocalist "who sings that". I know other people that listen to CC, but I wouldn't know them if I heard them. I have really been more out of mainstream CCM than non-mainstream.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 8:43 pm

I did not mean to imply, though, that Rob Rock or Narnia are just out to sell CDs. Rob has never promoted himself as a "Christian artist", but his faith does shine through his songs. Narnia's last album was very straightforward in their proclamation of Christ.

All I really meant by all of this is that I enjoy listening to metal and hard rock, but I seem to find some of these lighter bands a lot more spiritually uplifting most times.

Back to top Go down
LateFortheParty

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2007 8:59 pm

Quote :
All I really meant by all of this is that I enjoy listening to metal and hard rock, but I seem to find some of these lighter bands a lot more spiritually uplifting most times.

I understand that. Probably, all of us have certain artists that touch us in a "deeper" way than others, regardless of the style/genre.
Back to top Go down
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

Number of posts : 815
Registration date : 2007-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2007 7:26 am

Chris - I think its hard to be touched spiritually by loud music, at least for me. Metal has rarely touched me spiritually for the 2 decades I've been listening to it. Even bands like Petra don't touch me.

For me, I have to be in a quieter place, or have quieter music, to really get to the soul. My avatar is of an album that has been a spectacular blessing to me, but its as far from rock and metal as you can get. Its a mix of praise songs and poetry reading, all about heaven. But it touches me more than any heavy metal album has or ever will.

There are times when I want to rock out. I want to just jam and enjoy heavy metal, which is still by far my favorite music. But there are other times when I want, or even need, to be spoken to. And in these times, I pull out that City of Gold CD, or a John Michael Talbot (affraid ) in order to allow God to speak His truth to me. Its hard to be spoken to by that still small voice unless you quiet yourself. That's tough for me to do when listening to rock or metal.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2007 8:47 am

I agree to a degree with FoJ. I can't think of any metal CD that has really moved my soul though there is the rare metal song that I find a blessing like Theocracy's 'Mountain'. However, there are several hard rock CDs that bring out a worshipful mood if I allow them - Knoteye, Kutless' debut, Nailpoint Payment, parts of SDS' PUTP, Place of Skulls' EP, etc.

bigjtink

bigjtink

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2007-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2007 3:59 pm

I really dig Casting Crowns. But I am greedy. I like it all.
Back to top Go down
endlessfuneral2003

endlessfuneral2003

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2007-07-27

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 27, 2007 9:26 pm

Quote :
Chris - I think its hard to be touched spiritually by loud music, at least for me.

I like some softer music at times also but I have been totally blessed by the following Metal bands throughout the years:

Living Sacrifice
Extol
Disciple
Afterimage
Stryper
DivineFire
Theocracy
Narnia
Harmony
Teramaze
Red
Antestor
Renascent
Immortal Souls
Slechtvalk
Schaliach
and some more...

I guess it really boils down to mood + path of life + lyrics + taste of music. It's complicated stuff. lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.purevolume.com/endlessfuneral
Follower of Jesus

Follower of Jesus

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 5:57 am

Yeah, I tried to put my post in personal terms so I didn't seem to be saying "no one" can be touched by metal. I know many others have been. But for me, its never happened.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 28, 2007 7:44 pm

I have to admit that it is few and far between that ANY music truely touches me in a spiritual way.

--

Follower of Jesus

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 31, 2007 3:07 pm

I have to stand corrected. I thought of a few songs that are not light, but still touch me...

Petra - It Is Finished
Whiteheart - Find A Way
Theocracy - Theocracy and Mountain
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 6:35 pm

There are some rock songs that touch me as well, but lighter bands seem to be able to open my heart to receive the message inside. I just got the new Casting Crowns disc yesterday, and I've already played it 3 times. I think it is going to be played alot!

Back to top Go down
LateFortheParty

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 02, 2007 9:00 pm

I hear what you are saying Chris, but similar to what EndlessFuneral posted, I feel that the heavier bands, that are new to me, have been "opening my heart, to the message" more, lately, than the lighter bands.

I feel, like I said before, I have been going in the other direction (than you) the last couple-of-years. For example, I used to listen to Rich Mullins, Greatest hits "Songs" before going to church, and now I have been listening to Rob Rock's "Holy Hell", and, just recently Letter 7's "Salt And Light". I really feel that these songs put me in the right frame of mind that I want to be in---going to church.

That doesn't mean I am putting Rich Mullins on the shelf, his stuff, in my opinion, IS Classical (Christian) music, at least, I hope my kids grow up to think so Smile . (This reminds me of something from Francis Schaffer's "How Shall We Then Live", and if you have read it, I would love to chat about it).
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16553
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2007 8:50 am

Sometimes I have a mood that I don't listen to music because I only like the music and when I hear the new Narnia I think ohhh is that it.
Then I am not interested in any music.
I often think then why do I have to order the new Grimmark or a new Rob Rock.
I agree with Chris that the lyrics of CCM and praise and worship music are more bold than the lyrics of the hard rock and metal music.
I think I am searching for music that builds me up.
For now I need music that helps me to grow to trust God more. To show me it's all for me too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......   Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but...... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ok, I know that this will get me flamed, but......
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: