Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"

Go down 
+8
Guilty/Forgiven
rockerVu2
Fundy
ChosenOne
alldatndensum
Driven
Staybrite
Dynamis
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dynamis

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" Empty
PostSubject: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 07, 2011 11:21 pm

What are everybody's thoughts on Classic Petra? Do you enjoy the re-recorded songs on "Back To The Rock"? If not then why? What about the bands performance, particularly lead vocals?

Any other comments?

Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23368
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 1:34 am

I don't have this one yet.....I think I'm gonna pick it up at the end of next week (well down-load it anyway).

Driven

Number of posts : 6210
Registration date : 2011-03-26

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 7:43 am

I can't enjoy it… sounds too "modern" and I don't like modern rock. IMO the originals were better.
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23436
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 7:55 am

Sounds too modern? It has a modern production, but it definitely sounds like these songs came from the 70/80s. I think they could have just about achieved this with remastering.

I guess it's okay. I don't play it much because it just doesn't grab me. I never really got into the Volz era. I'd rather these guys try to find a harder sound and do some new stuff. The whole concept of this being a new Petra and then doing the old Petra's tunes is just silly. It's just another reunion gig. When they can put out a project of new tunes, then we'll see if these old dogs have any tricks left in them at all.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 7:57 am

I don't think so, Alldat… the music is in a different key. The guitar tones are different.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 9:43 am

Lot fewer keyboards on the re-recorded material. More violins (Rose Colored Stain Glass Windows).
Back to top Go down
Dynamis

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 10:01 am

Quote :
Lot fewer keyboards on the re-recorded material. More violins (Rose Colored Stain Glass Windows).

Exactly. "Rose Colored Stain Glass Windows" almost has a Kansas-like feel to it. The only song in which they overdid it in terms of the keyboards is "Adonai".
Back to top Go down
Dynamis

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 08, 2011 10:02 am

Quote :
When they can put out a project of new tunes, then we'll see if these old dogs have any tricks left in them at all.

I hope the two new songs on the project are an indicator of the direction Petra might be heading on any new album it records in the future.
Back to top Go down
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 10:59 am

I actullay liked the album. This coming from a guy who prefers the Schlitt era Petra a lot more. To me they never topped the greatness that was This Means War!. But I do like the new Classic Petra cd. Definitley has a more 80's edge to it in parts and I still spin it. Mostly tho, it's nostalgia and I am a sucker for that
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 2:35 pm

Musically, I think a lot of the songs were better, or at least as good, but I never got it because of the auto tune in the vocals. Blech...
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5302
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 09, 2011 5:38 pm

I love the new songs, but can't seem to justify spending the cash on just 2 new songs. Still, the other songs do sound good.

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Dynamis

Dynamis

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 10, 2011 11:25 pm

Thanks everyone for the feedback. Here is the Angelic Warlord review: http://www.angelicwarlord.com/reviews/p/petra10.html
Back to top Go down
Driven

Driven

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 11, 2011 7:54 am

Too Big To Fail reminded me of Rudie Can't Fail (The Clash) and now…

Ru-die can't fail!
Ru-die can't fail!
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2011 4:50 pm

I just got this today and I'm listening now. I gotta confess I like then better than anything they did between "Beyond Belief" & "Jekyll & Hyde"

Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 7:52 am

Seriously? "Unseen Power" is much stronger material overall to me. Even "Wake Up Call" was a great roots rock project for the guys. After that, yes, they do get a little weak as John took over the band.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16551
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 9:38 am

Now we can start talking about what is your favorite Petra album.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9922
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 9:58 am

Guess I'll be the only one with this preference:

Never cared for Schlitt. My first 2 Petra albums were More Power and Not of This World. So I cut my teeth on Volz.
Musically, the band is phenominal from beginning to end.
Schlitt always reminds me of Michael Bolton, he can sing, but he sounds likes he's gonna explode any second.
Regardless, my favorite Schlitt era is hands down "Petra Praise...The Rock Cries Out "
I like all their albums, but I love the 3 albums I just mentioned.

Last edited by Guilty/Forgiven on Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5302
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 1:43 pm

I love most of Petra's albums with the exceptions of Double Take and God Fixation.

Favourites... J&H, On Fire, Not Of This World... oh they're all pretty good.

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Staybrite

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 3:49 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Seriously? "Unseen Power" is much stronger material overall to me. Even "Wake Up Call" was a great roots rock project for the guys. After that, yes, they do get a little weak as John took over the band.

Wake Up Call is a really good album, but honestly I really only like about 2/3 of it. And I don't really remember it, but I cared so little for Unseen Power that I traded it.

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 3:50 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Schlitt always reminds me of John Bolton, he can sing, but he sounds likes he's gonna explode any second.

Did you mean Michael Bolton?

Staybrite

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 3:51 pm

rockerVu2 wrote:
Now we can start talking about what is your favorite Petra album.

Definately "Beyond Belief" but "Jekyll & Hyde" is very good as well

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16551
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 4:29 pm

"Jekyll & Hyde" and "Beyond Believe".
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 5:01 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
Guess I'll be the only one with this preference:

Never cared for Schlitt. My first 2 Petra albums were More Power and Not of This World. So I cut my teeth on Volz.
Musically, the band is phenominal from beginning to end.
Schlitt always reminds me of John Bolton, he can sing, but he sounds likes he's gonna explode any second.
Regardless, my favorite Schlitt era is hands down "Petra Praise...The Rock Cries Out "
I like all their albums, but I love the 3 albums I just mentioned.

You aren't the only one. I think TallTyrion is a Volz kind of guy. When I first got into Petra, though, I had never heard of Volz. Schlitt was the singer.

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9922
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 5:22 pm

Quote :
Did you mean Michael Bolton?

That's what I said !

Embarassed
Back to top Go down
ChosenOne

ChosenOne

Number of posts : 858
Registration date : 2007-09-06

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 15, 2011 6:01 pm

My favorite will forever be This Means War!. It just had a sound that fit the times perfectly and was just outstanding. I would probably put Beyond Belief as my 2nd favorite but TMW is it for me
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"   Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock" I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Classic Petra: "Back To The Rock"
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next