Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Saying hello

Go down 
+4
Staybrite
silentthunder89
Hardkore
theoriginalironman
8 posters
AuthorMessage
theoriginalironman

theoriginalironman

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2010-11-29

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 12:36 pm

Long time metal head here- been a big Metallica fan most of my life and in the last year, God has really revealed himself to me through ministries such as The Ramp. I love Christian Rock/Metal, but it seems like the genre is lacking. My favorite secular bands were Metallica, Disturbed, Pantera, Sevendust, Finger Eleven, Mudvayne, and the older Linkin Park.

So far, the better Christian rock/metal bands I've discovered are This Fire's Embrace, Pillar, Kutless, Fireflight, Skillet, Demon Hunter, Seventh Day Slumber, and some Day of Fire. Are there any bands that may ring closer to home in their music to the above secular bands than just the ones I've listed here? There isn't a definitive 'home' for Christian Metal online it seems and I've just happened upon this forum. Any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Hardkore

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2563
Registration date : 2007-06-03

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 2:25 pm

Definitely check out Deliverance and Ultimatum.

You can go to the Christian Metal Realm and chat with a lot of Metal heads there. Quite a few bands members post there as well.

Last edited by Hardkore on Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
silentthunder89

silentthunder89

Number of posts : 1275
Registration date : 2008-05-22

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 2:25 pm

First of all, welcome to the board theoriginalironman! Like you, I'm a big fan of the Ramp! The Christian Metal genre has actually grown a lot over the past couple decades. I'm sure we might be able to help you find what you are looking for. For starters, here's some bands you may be interested in:

The Showdown
Maylene and the Sons of Disaster
Disciple
Fades Away
Hope Kills Fear
Judah First
Nailpoint
POD
Project 86
Seventh seal
Seven System
Wolves at the Gate
Black Pajent
Blessed by a Broken Heart
Blindside
Brian Welch
Day of Fire
War of Ages
We Came as Romans
Tourniquet
Haste the Day
The Devil Wears Prada
August Burns Red
As I Lay Dying

I'm sure the other guys on the board can probably contribute quite a bit as well.
Back to top Go down
theoriginalironman

theoriginalironman

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 2:37 pm

Ah, thanks guys. Will definitely be checking those out.

I realize now that I neglected to mention my worship project, tentatively entitled Jasper Stone- you can check it out at http://www.myspace.com/jasperstoneworship
Back to top Go down
theoriginalironman

theoriginalironman

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 3:41 pm

It certainly seems like the majority of Christian metal is either afraid to put Jesus ahead of their own 'pseudo-macho-tough-guy' image, with their skulls and all black themes, or they're pushing Christian-themed post-hair metal. Where is the sincerity and passion for Him in these bands?

It is very possible to rock a mean, chunky sound and still praise Him and show Him in all that you do. I see a lot of bands tho that are in danger of falling in love with the greatest idol of all- self. We need to show Christ in more than a cross around our neck and more than just aggressive, barking of our 'Christian spin' of things we all deal with.

I guess the small things that bother me are bands who push this type of merch ...

Saying hello SHOWT116

When with a twist, its just as awesome of a phrase, but actually means something and shows your faith ...

Saying hello JesustillidieshirtFRONT

Saying hello JesustillidieshirtbackBACK

I certainly have nothing against these bands, I just would love to see more Christ in their message.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23432
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 4:28 pm

Howdy OrigIronMan, welcome to the board.

I too would like to see more bands push their faith to the front of their message/image....but sadly that doesn't seem to be the trend with many bands today.

Looks like Hardkore and ST gave you some bands to check out.

You also might want to look into Eternal Decision, their early word definately had a Metallica vibe.

http://www.eternaldecision.com/

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16571
Registration date : 2007-02-09

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 4:51 pm

And again a welcome to theoriginalironman.
Back to top Go down
theoriginalironman

theoriginalironman

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 5:11 pm

Thanks guys- Yeah, I checked out all the bands mentioned- still not whole heck of a lot of gems. I am a musician myself (guitarist) and it is my goal to start a band that manages to pull off what I consider to be the key requirements- which is a unique, broad sound, with heavier tracks alongside some slower worship music, such as Jason Upton or Rick Pino. No screaming, because I believe its a fad that long overstayed its welcome and because I believe lyrical content is very important and its something you can't exactly replay appropriately if you're just shredding your voice. I like a good pop, commercial sensibility because for me musically, its all about the hook.

Most importantly is an image that reflects you being a laid-down lover of Christ- meaning He is the star of the music and of the show. Every song doesn't have to be 'Jesus loves me', but negative and overly aggressive lyrics just don't feel right to me. I believe in prophetic words and just anthems of love, hope, and faith- and no band currently in the genre has managed to capture all of these elements, for me.
Back to top Go down
silentthunder89

silentthunder89

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 8:32 pm

Quote :
It certainly seems like the majority of Christian metal is either afraid to put Jesus ahead of their own 'pseudo-macho-tough-guy' image, with their skulls and all black themes, or they're pushing Christian-themed post-hair metal. Where is the sincerity and passion for Him in these bands?

While I do agree that it is sad to see that putting Jesus first in both lyrics and image is sad to see, I don't necessarily agree that just because they have this "pseudo-macho-tough-guy" image doesn't mean that they don't have a sincerity and passion for God. I do agree that there are certainly a handful of bands that do fit your description. And also, I hate to say it, but it appears that Christian metal has become almost a stepping stone to get a foot into the mainstream market. I'm guessing that one of the bands you were referring to was The Showdown. As much as I like that band, I agree with you. They do seem to show a lot of signs pointing towards putting themselves first.

As much as I love seeing metal bands that put Christ first in their lyrics (ex. War of Ages), I understand why some bands aren't as up front with their lyrics. From a Christian perspective, I wish all bands had an in your face Christian message. But coming from a from a sinner's perspective, there are a lot of people who are automatically turned off by such an in your face message. I've heard of a lot of bands that say they don't do this because they want to reach out to those outside the Christian circle. Even if their lyrics don't scream Jesus at you, they aren't negative (uplifting, in fact), but when doing interviews, live shows, social media, etc. they don't shy away from their Christian faith.

Everyone else may have a different opinion on this idea than me, but I think there are 3 types of bands in the Christian market: The gateway bands that have a similar sound to secular bands but sing positive and uplifting messages that are universal to all (unfortunately it appears that we have an excess of these kinds of bands and a shortage on the third group), bands who seem to be singing to what could be God but leave it a little open so it doesn't sound "preachy", and bands who make it explicitly clear that they are Christians, target a Christian audience, and whose purpose for singing is to worship and/or to encourage spiritual growth. Keep in mind, this is all opinionated and in no way meant to sound like I am saying all bands fit into one of these 3 sub-groups.

While we may or may not agree with any of these sub-groups, I think each is important as they each target different audiences. I think if all Christian bands fit the third group, I believe we wouldn't see as large of a growth in new souls won to Christ, simply because sinners would think Christian music as a whole is too preachy and that they couldn't really relate to it. If all bands fit either the first or second groups, while we would see a tremendous growth in fans of Christian music, I don't think much spiritual growth would come from it.

Again, feel free to disagree with me, this is just kind of how I view Christian music in a nutshell. This is in no way targeted at anybody or meant to be attack on anybody's opinions.
Back to top Go down
silentthunder89

silentthunder89

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 8:53 pm

Quote :
I believe in prophetic words and just anthems of love, hope, and faith- and no band currently in the genre has managed to capture all of these elements, for me.

I forgot to mention these bands earlier, but I think the lyrical content will suit your liking much more: For Today and Oh Sleeper.

I love Sleeping Giant and For Today specifically because of how prophetic their lyrics are. I also believe that I remember hearing of For Today endorsing the Ramp specifically. When I went to the Ichthus Festival in Wilmore, Ky this past year, both of these bands had their main set during the day, but later that night they each had an acoustic worship set as well as an altar call.
Back to top Go down
Dynamis

Dynamis

Number of posts : 1646
Registration date : 2007-04-28

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 9:34 pm

Welcome to CHM! If you like Metallica you might want to check out Chained, a metal/thrash band from Sweden: http://www.myspace.com/chainedmetal

Chained leaves little doubt as to where they are coming from lyrically. I would also consider the first two Deliverance albums (self titled from 1989 and "Weapons Of Our Warfare from 1990).

Also, I run a website that focuses on the metal and hard rock scene from a Christian perspective at: http://www.angelicwarlord.com/

Perhaps you might find something that interests you there.
Back to top Go down
http://www.angelicwarlord.com/
theoriginalironman

theoriginalironman

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 10:09 pm

Thanks guys- will be sure to check these out in the coming days.
Back to top Go down
silentthunder89

silentthunder89

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 29, 2010 10:51 pm

Hey theoriginalironman, sorry I meant to write Sleeping Giant instead of Oh Sleeper. While Oh Sleeper is definitely a great metal band with some interestingly deep lyrics, I think Sleeping Giant would be more of what you're looking for.
Back to top Go down

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 03, 2010 6:33 pm

When looking at Disciple, check out the early stuff, too. The later albums aren't bad, but the early stuff is where the fire and the boldness is, IMO.

Theocracy is another band to add to the list.

And welcome!
Back to top Go down
theoriginalironman

theoriginalironman

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 05, 2010 8:52 pm

Thanks, guys- I feel very welcomed here.
Back to top Go down
ProgPariah77

ProgPariah77

Number of posts : 87
Registration date : 2010-05-30

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 2:54 am

Narnia, Demon Hunter, and Becoming the Archetype are all worth a look as well ...
-------
http://powerofprog.com/profile/SUPERNALENDGAME
Back to top Go down
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23469
Registration date : 2007-01-30

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 8:55 am

Quote :
I too would like to see more bands push their faith to the front of their message/image....but sadly that doesn't seem to be the trend with many bands today.

I would change your statement, Gary, to this:

I, too, would like to see more CHRISTIANS push their faith to the front of their lives, but sadly that doesn't seem to be the trend with many BELIEVERS today.

It's not just the bands--it's the body of Christ in much of the world today.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 11:45 am

You mean that you would like to see more bold lyrics from Christian bands about what they believe?

I think you'll like "Glory To My King".

Precisely by writing songs about who Jesus is distinguishing itself from the Christian music from secular music.

Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23432
Registration date : 2007-02-08

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 4:18 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
Quote :

I would change your statement, Gary, to this:

I, too, would like to see more CHRISTIANS push their faith to the front of their lives, but sadly that doesn't seem to be the trend with many BELIEVERS today.

It's not just the bands--it's the body of Christ in much of the world today.

Yes, very true. I agree.

theoriginalironman

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 6:51 pm

Aw man, Sleeping Giant is killer! I'm also about to check out a few more bands- Theocracy, For Today, Glory To My King, Narnia, and Becoming the Archetype.

BTW, my favorite Christian metal band is This Fire's Embrace- if u haven't checked them out, do so.
Back to top Go down
silentthunder89

silentthunder89

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 11:17 pm

theoriginalironman wrote:
BTW, my favorite Christian metal band is This Fire's Embrace- if u haven't checked them out, do so.

I really like this band too! I found them just after they put out their first ep, Redemption, and have followed them ever since. I got to hang with these guys at the Ichthus festival in KY. They are all really awesome guys and all have great hearts!
Back to top Go down
silentthunder89

silentthunder89

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 06, 2010 11:22 pm

Oh and btw, Tommy Green III (vocalist for Sleeping Giant) just put out a book called "Religio-cide". It's supposed to be about "not letting religious traditions and empty religious practices that don't actually lead them into a spirit to Spirit connection with Christ" I just ordered mine today so I can read it myself.

Religio-cide by Tommy Green III
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 07, 2010 9:39 am

I was so lucky to see the farewell concert of Narnia last weekend.
Back to top Go down
theoriginalironman

theoriginalironman

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 7:03 pm

Wanted to share something with you all.

After spending the last year or so listening to pretty much nothing but worship/Christian music, I have ventured out and really sought after the better bands that perform under the Christian Hard Rock/Heavy Metal banner (thanks in part to a lot of the suggestions from people here.) What I've found is that there are so many cookie-cutter bands out in the genre, as in most genres. As the heavier bands go, they usually trade musicianship and vocal quality for playing the most extreme and intense music they can manage- resulting in a muddy mix of detuned guitars and screaming vocals. How is this supposed to usher in a spirit of worship?

Philippians 4:8 says "And now, dear brothers and sisters, one final thing. Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise." (NLT) Nothing about this music is lovely, honorable, etc. The only distinction between the worse of the secular world is the lyrical content- which manages to avoid using the name of Jesus in any of their songs, choosing a much more ambiguous (and therefore, more profitable) spirituality. Jesus said in Matthew 10:33 that "everyone who denies me here on earth, I will also deny before my Father in heaven." (NLT) ...

There are a lot of musicians and bands out there choosing to perform as a secular band, with Christian members, who play positive songs. The thing is, it is my opinion, that as Christians, we are to show Christ in all things. We should never say, "well, if we say the name 'Jesus' in our songs, we won't sell as many albums or get our music out to as many people." I haven't been faced with that decision, the same that I know many really excellent Christian bands have faced- so I can't imagine the amount of pressure one would feel in such a situation- but something God has been dealing with me lately is this very issue of professing His name.

Damon Thompson once said that when he first met his wife, his friends got sick of hearing about her- and drawing that analogy, he goes on to mention that as the bride of Christ, if we are truly in love with Christ, we will exhibit the same qualities and have to tell everyone about how great Christ is and how that He saved us from an eternity of torment. I know that when I met my wife, I was equally excited and proud and would drive my friends crazy talking about this love of my life- therefore, when I partake in conversations or act like someone who hasn't experienced the love of my Savior would, its a slap in the face to the one who endured the crucifixion for me and for you. I'm more than guilty of it- but I know that by grace and by His mercy, I am going to overcome this.

For the bands that are proudly carrying the banner of Christ, there just seems to be a handful who are capable of writing strong, powerful music that honors the name of God and bring the good news to some people who would detest the music of artists such as Chris Tomlin or Third Day. As a once avid listener of secular music, my venture into bands such as Kutless, Sonic Flood, etc. is what marked the transition from a luke-warm complacent Christian into one that my own friends have labeled as a fanatic. I still love the driving power of a good, distorted power chord, but nothing can compete, to me, with the way the presence of the Lord inhabits in such worship songs as Holy Is Our King by Rita Springer or Holy by Matt Gilman- that spirit of worship washes over you and as you worship with every fiber of your being, the whole world disappears and the only thing that matters is lifting up His holy name and telling him how Holy He is.

AW Tozer taught that God is more concerned with the fact that He is holy than the fact that He is God- because He is a supreme being and that God is only a title that we need to understand the vast, encompassing, and supreme nature of His being. Therefore, I believe that songs that declare His righteousness do more to usher in His presence than others. Yet, I have seen very few Christian Hard Rock bands manage to usher in that presence of worship with their music.

In my aggravation with the lack of these qualities in the genre, only one thing keeps coming to mind- that God has gifted me with ability to write music and play an instrument (sure some would argue that) and that I ought to devote my energy to worshiping Him with the gifts He has given me- instead of looking for someone else's music to usher in that spirit of worship. Okay, granted- but its easier said than done. Sometimes, I have no idea what I'm going to play when I pick up my guitar and sometimes its heavy, sometimes its soft and melodic, sometimes its just off the wall. Ultimately, I know what He has called me to do, but things aren't moving as fast or coming together as I would like- and I find myself having to submit myself to His timing and His will in this.
Back to top Go down
theoriginalironman

theoriginalironman

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 7:24 pm

Wanted to share some of my musical history, too ...

My first recorded song, Brother. Me on guitars, Trey Motes on lead guitar and vocals.

http://rapidshare.com/files/433793000/01_Brother_DEMO.mp3

Another track, Father- vocals by Trey again.

http://rapidshare.com/files/433564888/father.wav

A song I wrote with a guy named Jon Rachal called Frail. Recorded and produced by Trey Motes.

http://rapidshare.com/files/433564488/This_Is_My_Failure_-_Frail_Pro_Cut__WIP_.mp3

The newest 'hard rock' riff I've wrote.

http://rapidshare.com/files/433563635/rise_mp3.mp3

If you want to hear the worship side of my music, you can check out a project I've done with my wife that was called Jasper Stone, but we're renaming the Impact Band ... http://www.myspace.com/jasperstoneworship
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Saying hello Empty
PostSubject: Re: Saying hello   Saying hello I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Saying hello
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: The BUZZ!!! Music that ROCKS your face off!-
Jump to: