Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

New Handgun

Go down 
+5
alldatndensum
topshot rhit
Fundy
Staybrite
Guilty/Forgiven
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9960
Registration date : 2007-05-18

New Handgun Empty
PostSubject: New Handgun   New Handgun I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 12:13 pm

Ready to purchase a new handgun.
Need some recommendations.

(and not smart ones like "Don't shoot your eye out")
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23465
Registration date : 2007-02-08

New Handgun Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Handgun   New Handgun I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 3:38 pm

Short of my experience with weapons in the military I am not much of a expert when it comes to handguns. But I do know a little.

Revolvers do not tend to jamb/malfuntion as much as magazine fed pistols.
Having said that, the Baretta and Browning 9mm hand guns I have used where very simple to use and I was able to shot fairly accurately with them.

I highly recommend getting a trigger lock for any gun you purchase. Even the smartest kids make really stupid mistakes, and they should cost them or someone else a life.

Fundy

Number of posts : 5340
Registration date : 2007-05-04

New Handgun Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Handgun   New Handgun I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 5:25 pm

I still don't get the handgun thing. Each to their own, but personally I'd never want to own one of them - mind you, if I did I'd probably get arrested for it anyway!!!

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3876
Registration date : 2007-01-30

New Handgun Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Handgun   New Handgun I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 9:23 pm

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
(and not smart ones like "Don't shoot your eye out")
Hmmm... sounds like a smart recommendation to me.

What is the intended purpose? Who will be using it? What is the experience level? Where will it be used?

Fundy, they are fun to shoot!

alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23483

New Handgun Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Handgun   New Handgun I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 10:22 pm

I never owned a handgun--well until this year. My grandfather had a .22 pistol that had four separate barrels with a rotating firing mechanism. My dad had it, and I brought it home after he passed away. I had to have it cleaned and the firing mechanism worked on, but now I have it and it is in fire-able condition.

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

New Handgun Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Handgun   New Handgun I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 01, 2010 11:22 pm

Here's the scoop =

Before I had kids, I had a 38 Special and a 25 single-shot "pop gun" (don't even bother aiming that one) [Reason: enjoyment firing with friends and basic protection].

When Lisa and I married, my new son was 3 and daughter was 8. I got rid of the guns and ammo. 14 years later the kids are grown, one's in college 8 hours away and one just started his High School senior year. And yes, the new handgun will have a lock even tho my son's 17.

My reason for obtaining a new gun now ? We've decided to start a delivery service for The Dispensary I run. I've done a few deliveries with nothing but a can of mace, but now I'll be delivering on Tuesdays and Fridays every week. This will be an advertised service... see where I'm going ?
I'm in pharmacy to help people. Some of the people I help need controlled RXs.... unfortunately there's a lot of people in this town that wouldn't think twice about robbing a medicine delivery man (just read our Police Reports section of our paper each week). Again, I'm in this to help people and would not want to snuff someone by aiming at the torso or head. The purpose of the gun would be to protect myself from those out there desparate enough to use deadly force against me.

That said, I definitely want another revolver. Are the Baretta and Browning 9mm revolvers ? If so, I'm gonna go check them out.
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23465
Registration date : 2007-02-08

New Handgun Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Handgun   New Handgun I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 12:38 am

Fundy it is a traditionaly American experience to have fun shooting stuff with a handgun.

G/F, nope both the Baretta and Brownings where magazine fed automatics. I believe Baretta does make some period piece revolvers, but I'm not sure about Browning.

Hardkore

Number of posts : 2564
Registration date : 2007-06-03

New Handgun Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Handgun   New Handgun I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 9:39 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:

My reason for obtaining a new gun now ? We've decided to start a delivery service for The Dispensary I run. I've done a few deliveries with nothing but a can of mace, but now I'll be delivering on Tuesdays and Fridays every week. This will be an advertised service... see where I'm going ?
I'm in pharmacy to help people. Some of the people I help need controlled RXs.... unfortunately there's a lot of people in this town that wouldn't think twice about robbing a medicine delivery man (just read our Police Reports section of our paper each week).

Med's delivery? I hadn't heard of that before...or at least present days,around here that is. I can understand why to have delivery to those that can't come to pick it up. Out here they just get someone (friend,relative) that can, will go to the pharmacy to pick it up for them.
Back to top Go down
rockerVu2

rockerVu2

Number of posts : 16575
Registration date : 2007-02-09

New Handgun Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Handgun   New Handgun I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 10:58 am

Is it allowed to have weapons at your house in the US?
Here it's forbidden to own weapons without a special permission.

Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

New Handgun Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Handgun   New Handgun I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 11:24 am

2nd Amendment to the U.S. Constitution:
"....the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

Yes, we are allowed by those who wrote the initial rules.... but today, we have to jump through many hoops to "bear arms" legally.

Basically, the bad guys have lots of guns and the good guys have to fill out papers, take classes, and wait for a long time before they can even get their gun.
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

New Handgun Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Handgun   New Handgun I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 11:32 am

I'm not one of those wild eyed "dey kin has mah gun win dey pry it frum mah cold ded finguhs" kinda guy. I just know what our rights are and will always vote in favor of OUR rights.

My right is - if someone comes at me with intent to harm, I can pull my gun and that person will walk away (or limp away if they keep coming at me).
And if the other person comes at me with a weapon, I reserve the right to match or exceed his weapon.
Back to top Go down
nazpastor

nazpastor

Number of posts : 463
Registration date : 2007-05-01

New Handgun Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Handgun   New Handgun I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 12:05 pm

Perscription delivery is all over the place here. At least three pharmacies in town deliver. I never thought about the need for protection.

Is it legal for you to carry a loaded weapon in your area? Unless you have a special permint you can't carry a loaded weapon in Illinois. Thus, this would not help much. You have to carry the empty weapon and ammo separated, like glove compartment and trunk separate. The idea is you can't reach the ammo and load if someone is approaching your car (read police).

Make sure if you go with a revolver it cannot be discharged by dropping it on the hammer. Some older models had a tendency to strike the firing pin against the cap if the gun was dropped on the hammer.
Back to top Go down
topshot rhit

Number of posts : 3876

New Handgun Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Handgun   New Handgun I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 1:44 pm

alldatndensum wrote:
My grandfather had a .22 pistol that had four separate barrels with a rotating firing mechanism.
Don't think I've seen anything like that before. Can you email me a pic?

Jim,
I wasn't aware it was legal to carry concealed in CA. Given their firearms rules I've heard about, I'd be surprised. Same with IL as Naz pointed out and why I'll never move across the border. However, if it is and you really do want a revolver, I'd recommend a Ruger or S&W in 38 Special. I'll qualify that by saying I haven't kept abreast of handguns for at least 10 years, so there may be other makers now that put out a decent revolver, but those were the 2 main ones to consider up through the 90s at least.

Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

New Handgun Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Handgun   New Handgun I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 02, 2010 3:32 pm

Quote :
Make sure if you go with a revolver it cannot be discharged by dropping it on the hammer

Good advice -thank you Tim. I'm not scared of guns, but I have a HEALTHY RESPECT for them. I will check into that and read up on whatever I consider buying.

Quote :
I wasn't aware it was legal to carry concealed in CA.

You may carry a concealed legally papered gun so long as you have a solid justifiable reason. (I'm hoping medication delivery counts) - who knows, I may go thru all these procedures and find out I can only legally carry my mace.

Quote :

I'd recommend a Ruger or S&W in 38 Special

Cool ! I'll look into those ! Thanks !
Back to top Go down
sabidoo

sabidoo

Number of posts : 2069
Registration date : 2007-04-28

New Handgun Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Handgun   New Handgun I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 2:11 am

rockerVu2 wrote:

It IS legal to have all the guns you want, one of the few good things left in this country. In a lot of ways, I almost wish it was required that guns be owned AND carried.

As for the CC (Concealed Carry), in most states (the ones that matter at least) you can easily obtain a carry permit. The only "justifiable" reason is SELF PROTECTION.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sabidoo
alldatndensum
Admin
alldatndensum

Number of posts : 23483

New Handgun Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Handgun   New Handgun I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 04, 2010 10:40 pm

sabidoo wrote:
rockerVu2 wrote:

It IS legal to have all the guns you want, one of the few good things left in this country. In a lot of ways, I almost wish it was required that guns be owned AND carried.

As for the CC (Concealed Carry), in most states (the ones that matter at least) you can easily obtain a carry permit. The only "justifiable" reason is SELF PROTECTION.

I have to agree with Sabidoo 100% on this. I think that you should be required to own, and be trained, on how to properly handle a firearm whether it's a handgun or rifle. The crooks will always have weapons. In states where they have more lax gun laws, the crime rate goes down significantly. Who's gonna break into your crib if they think you gonna pop a cap in them?

I might have decided, or maybe not, that I should or shouldn't, depending on the issue or non-issue, to possibly share or not share, any thoughts, opinions, or facts (that might not be deemed factual by some), due to possible fear of any misinterpretation or retribution.

https://christianhardmusic.niceboard.com/
Back to top Go down
http://www.christianhardmusic.com

New Handgun Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Handgun   New Handgun I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 07, 2010 11:20 pm

When I lived in Alabama, I had a concealed carry permit. It cost 10 dollars a year. Never once did I have to draw my piece, but if the need had arisen, I would have, and done so responsibly. But, here in the communist state of Illinois, I can own firearms, but can I carry them? Nope! However, my home security system is a full-tang katana that's sharp enough for any would-be burglar to 'get the point'.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New Handgun Empty
PostSubject: Re: New Handgun   New Handgun I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New Handgun
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Christian Hard Music :: Warped Drive - General Discussion-
Jump to: