Christian Hard Music
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

For lovers of Christian rock and heavy metal!

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Stump the DJ - my new "game"

Go down 
+2
Fundy
Oldiesmann
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Oldiesmann

Oldiesmann

Number of posts : 517
Registration date : 2008-10-26

Stump the DJ - my new "game" Empty
PostSubject: Stump the DJ - my new "game"   Stump the DJ - my new "game" I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 2:01 am

Has anyone ever tried to stump a radio station to see exactly what you can make them scrounge up and play?

A few weeks ago, while listening to my favorite station (WGRR here in Cincinnati), I noticed that during their 5-hour Saturday night request block (that's right - 5 hours where they play nothing but requests), they were digging up some songs I hadn't heard in years (most notably "King of the Road" by Roger Miller and "Mr. Bojangles" by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band). So, I decided to see if I could get them to play one of my favorite songs - "Driver's Seat" by Sniff 'n' the Tears. It's an obscure hit from a little-known British group that peaked at #15 on the US charts in 1979. Of course, they didn't have it.

Since then, I have been on a personal mission to see just what I can make them scrounge up...

So far, I've gotten them to dig up "Jingle Jangle" by The Archies (requested this when they didn't have "Driver's Seat") and "Me and You and a Dog Named Boo" by Lobo (another one of my favorites).

I also managed to stump them again last night with "Living Next Door to Alice" by Smokie (DJ's response to my request email: "I'll be honest. I'm not sure I'll be able to find that one" Laughing ).

I am not giving up though. I am continuing to dig up obscure hits (mainly thanks to Youtube), just to see if I can make them dig up something that the seem to have forgotten about (their tagline is "the greatest hits of the 60s, 70s and 80s").

On my list of songs to request right now:
"How Do You Do?" by Mouth and MacNeal (1972, peaked at #8 in the US, certified gold)
"Paloma Blanca" by the George Baker Selection (1976, peaked at #26 on the pop chart and topped the easy listening chart in the US)
"Quick Joey Small" by the Katz-Kastenatz Singing Orchestra (1968, peaked at #25 in the US)

For those who have never heard any of these songs and/or don't remember them, they're all on Youtube (and for those who remember it, the "Who the <bleep> is Alice?" version is also out there...)
Back to top Go down
https://www.christianmetal.fans
Fundy

Fundy

Number of posts : 5302
Registration date : 2007-05-04

PostSubject: Re: Stump the DJ - my new "game"   Stump the DJ - my new "game" I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 3:10 am

Oldiesmann wrote:

I also managed to stump them again last night with "Living Next Door to Alice" by Smokie (DJ's response to my request email: "I'll be honest. I'm not sure I'll be able to find that one" Stump the DJ - my new "game" Icon_lol ).

For those who have never heard any of these songs and/or don't remember them, they're all on Youtube (and for those who remember it, the "Who the is Alice?" version is also out there...)

I remember that song, and also when it was rereleased with Roy Chubby Brown which was a rude version of the original....... but annoyingly rather catchy too! They played that alot back in the day and substituted the swear word with a 'bleep'.

The song went..............

....Living next door to Alice.
Alice? Who the bleep is Alice.

It worked really well at the time!

In the UK it was a hit for Smokie in 1977 (although it wasn't their original) and peaked at number 5 and then they rereleased it with Roy in 1995 and it peaked at number 3.

Fundy

Three Things for a better life...
1 - Believe In Jesus.
2 - Love one another.
3 - Let God be the judge.

That is all I need to say.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/silenceismadness777/
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23368
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Stump the DJ - my new "game"   Stump the DJ - my new "game" I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 3:26 pm

Next try one of my old 70's favorites "The Night Chicago Died" by British rockers "Paper Lace".

(it's on youtube as well)

PostSubject: Re: Stump the DJ - my new "game"   Stump the DJ - my new "game" I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 12:20 am

Firefall sounds like a good band to try them out with. My favorite is "Strange Way" (#11, 1978), but other hits include "Just Remember I Love You" (#11, 1977) and "You Are The Woman" (which I don't care for, but it was their biggest hit at #9, 1976).
Back to top Go down
Staybrite

Staybrite

Number of posts : 23368
Registration date : 2007-02-08

PostSubject: Re: Stump the DJ - my new "game"   Stump the DJ - my new "game" I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 21, 2010 12:34 pm

"You Make Me Feel Like Dancin" by Leo Sayer (#1 in 1976)

Number of posts : 3868
Registration date : 2007-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Stump the DJ - my new "game"   Stump the DJ - my new "game" I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 24, 2010 9:16 am

Y'all are making my ears hurt. Of course, not a whole lot of the classic rock I liked were ever "hits".

Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9922
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Stump the DJ - my new "game"   Stump the DJ - my new "game" I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 12:03 am

Quote :
"The Night Chicago Died"
Nah nah nah nah Nah nah nah nah Nah nah nah nah nah nahhhhhh

Laughing

Howabaout "Dead skunk in the middle of the road"
Back to top Go down
Guilty/Forgiven

Guilty/Forgiven

Number of posts : 9922
Registration date : 2007-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Stump the DJ - my new "game"   Stump the DJ - my new "game" I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 12:06 am

OOOH ! or what about "The name game"!!

Let's do Gary ! Gary Gary bo Bary fe fi mo mary Gary !
Back to top Go down
sabidoo

sabidoo

Number of posts : 2069
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Stump the DJ - my new "game"   Stump the DJ - my new "game" I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 9:30 am

Guilty/Forgiven wrote:
OOOH ! or what about "The name game"!!

Let's do Gary ! Gary Gary bo Bary fe fi mo mary Gary !

Next time you play the name game, throw the name 'Chuck' in there. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sabidoo
sabidoo

sabidoo

Number of posts : 2069
Registration date : 2007-04-28

PostSubject: Re: Stump the DJ - my new "game"   Stump the DJ - my new "game" I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 28, 2010 9:33 am

Oldiesmann wrote:
A few weeks ago, while listening to my favorite station (WGRR here in Cincinnati)

I listen to 55KRC and 700WLW when I'm in Cincy. HOW BOUT THAT BIG RED MACHINE ! ? ! ? !
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sabidoo
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stump the DJ - my new "game"   Stump the DJ - my new "game" I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Stump the DJ - my new "game"
Page 1 of 1